By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment closes Manchester Studio, bringing the 1st party studio count down to 14

thismeintiel said:
sales2099 said:

Xbox gamers count the Xbox Studios Publishing group as a dev in itself. I mean they are bringing Ori 2, Tell Me Why and Flight Simulator this year alone. 

Even if you don’t count it, the fact that they are tied...or we even having this discussion, says a lot. You could have never claimed this since 2001-now. 

Now that they have matched them in quantity, we'll see if they can match them in quality, the far more important measurement.

Technically surpassed but you right. Progress :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
sales2099 said:

I’m going to say something that is now fact and not fiction...something that if I said it I would have been dismissed as a pipe dream:

In February 2020, Xbox how has more 1st party studios then Sony.

Xbox had more studios before the generation started.  They shut down like 6 of them.  

thismeintiel said:

But...don't they both have 14?

MS has 15.  

Sony has 14 that we know of. 

I'm not going to include their publishing wing of the company.  If we did that, we might as well throw in SIE, as well.  Then, they would both be up to 15.

The UK government do not care, developing games here has always been incredibly difficult financially.

shikamaru317 said:
This makes the 5th UK first party studio that Sony has closed in the last decade.

Couldn't help but notice that, too. I wonder what the impetus is.

Mar1217 said:
I see people taking this opportunity to make a measurement contest !

Haaaa, never change console war, never change ...

Well with new consoles around the corner this was unavoidable.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:
What games did this studio make?

They were a VR studio founded in 2015. Not sure which PSVR games they made.

Edit: Apparently they never shipped a game. They've been working on what was described as a AAA VR game since they were founded in 2015. 

My god what a loss.

Can't wait for your next topic about a student not being hired on Sony's division.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

13 you say? Does that include their recent acquisition of Insomniac?

So does that mean Microsoft has now a count of studios that is bigger than Sony's?

Quick Sony, purchase Housemarque, Remedy, From Software and Deck 13 and maybe consider either CD Projekt and/or Techland.

From Software is owned by Kadokawa.

sales2099 said:

I’m going to say something that is now fact and not fiction...something that if I said it I would have been dismissed as a pipe dream:

It's not so much about the number of studios, it's about their output. Almost all of Sony's studios got between 200 and 400 people working for them and make huge AAA games. While MS has 3 big studios that are purely focused on Halo, Forza and Gears and the rest are mostly small teams like the Initiative with a 30'ish staff. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 05 February 2020

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

It's not so much about the number of studios, it's about their output. Almost all of Sony's studios got between 200 and 400 people working for them and make huge AAA games. While MS has 3 big studios that are purely focused on Halo, Forza and Gears and the rest are mostly small teams like the Initiative with a 30'ish staff. 

Xbox has more 1st party games coming out this year then PS, so I’d be inclined to agree output matters as well. 

I wouldn’t be as dismissive of Playground, Obsidian and Ninja Theory. Initiative we just don’t know until e3. 

But my point is that this is part of the process and very significant. With Xbox One having so few exclusives over the past 7 years, this info alone is a milestone that I’m even able to say they are at least equal in terms of studios 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
shikamaru317 said:
This makes the 5th UK first party studio that Sony has closed in the last decade. The other 4 are Guerrilla Cambridge, Evolution Studios, Studio Liverpool, and Bigbig Studios.

So, Sony is pulling their own Brexit?

You joke, but with legal issues, such a thing as brexit could probably effect a gameing studio to a certain degree as well.
Though I doubt you should put all the blame on that.