By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Total sell in for the PlayStation 4 has reached 108.9 million units as of December 31st 2019 While Game & Network Service Down 20%

What is sell in? Do they mean shipped? If not it's undertracked here!

Around the Network

Last edited by Evilms - on 04 February 2020

148 million at the end of April thanks to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Sony needs to bow down to PSN and kiss its feet. Hopefully it get the overhaul it deserves in the coming 12 months.

The forecast of 110.3m shipped by March 31st (13.5m for the FY) will be easily met. Just need to ship 1.4m this quarter.

Gameboy is going down.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Some people still doubting if ps4 can sell 120 million lifetime? It only needs to ship another 11 million and theres a good chance it can in 2020

I went with the 130 million prediction 3 years ago, sticking to it, and probably nailing it as well. Anyone who taught it is going to stop under 120 was delusional at that point.

Agreed. 10M should be 100% doable this year. 11M-12M if there's a deep price cut. That would put it at ~119M-121M. Hard not to see it shipping another 10M in the 3 years after that.

Some people say that if you deduct the DVD function from the success of the PS2, the success of the PS4 would be higher than that of the PS2. So even if the PS4 doesn't reach 155 million units, the success of the PS4 alone could be more valuable as a standalone console. I think there's something real about it.

thismeintiel said:
hunter_alien said:

I went with the 130 million prediction 3 years ago, sticking to it, and probably nailing it as well. Anyone who taught it is going to stop under 120 was delusional at that point.

Agreed. 10M should be 100% doable this year. 11M-12M if there's a deep price cut. That would put it at ~119M-121M. Hard not to see it shipping another 10M in the 3 years after that.

^ this.

I wouldnt be surprise if this year, because of FF7R, TLoU p2, Cyberpunk 2077, ect the drop off from 2019, wont be that big.
I could see them shipping 13m+ units or so in 2020.

Sony is still selling PS4's at 249$ (atleast going by amazon), and if they just keep that up, they should have a good 2020.

Panicradio said:
Some people say that if you deduct the DVD function from the success of the PS2, the success of the PS4 would be higher than that of the PS2. So even if the PS4 doesn't reach 155 million units, the success of the PS4 alone could be more valuable as a standalone console. I think there's something real about it.

Thats like saying Xbox360 only reached 85m+ units because of ~30m Red Rings of Deaths, killing the console.
The Xbox One, might not be down compaired to the Xb360 if you deduct all the sales from RRoD.

JRPGfan said:
Panicradio said:

Thats like saying Xbox360 only reached 85m+ units because of ~30m Red Rings of Deaths, killing the console.

No, that's actually not the point of it. It was more about a thesis that claimed that an estimated 130 million PS4 sales were a more remarkable success than 150 million PS2's. At the time of the release of the PS2, the first DVD players were enormously expensive, which is why several million units of the PS2 were supposedly sold off due to the DVD function alone.

The PS4, on the other hand, offers no added value, relative to today's standards, than the one to play.