By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Platinum Games will Open a Kickstarter on Monday for a Wonderful 101 Port to Switch and PS4 (COMFIRMED!)

Tagged games:

animegaming said:
Metallox said:
It's very unprecedented from Nintendo to accept this kind of move. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo may have agreed to give over the W101 IP rights in exchange for a tighter control in other projects Platinum has going with Nintendo, such as Astral Chain, Bayo 3, etc. Obviously, this means that, as long Nintendo has interest on the IP, they won't give it over that easily. Sadly, this wasn't the case with The Wonderful 101, but at least now the game can enjoy the prospect of reaching a new audience.

Gemtasu did an inteview with Kamiya, he said this.

Kamiya: “We felt it did not quite reach the audience that it deserved. As creators we are very confident in the game. This project is a unique opportunity to bring the fans together and see how far the game can go, which is why we went the crowdfunding route. We did speak with Nintendo about it initially, but they said, ‘you either do it only with us or do it yourselves.’ But speaking with them they allowed us to cut a deal, so we took upon ourselves to start this project. Dangen Entertainment is helping us. We have seen successful campaigns in the past, Bloodstained in particular, so we saw it as a very unique and interesting opportunity.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the-wonderful-101-remastered-announced-for-switch-ps4-and-pc-with-kickstarter-campaign

Seems like Nintendo was willing to let them do this without giving up the rights as long as Platinum got the funding together themselves. I do believe that this shows how highly Nintendo and Platinum value their relationship with each other. Should be interesting to see what this means for the IP going forward, because as you said this might show how little Nintendo values the IP or maybe it gets strong enough sales that Nintendo might fund a sequel.

That's intriguing. I'd totally like to know what was put at stake in that deal regarding the rights and/or publishing. I doubt Platinum will ever disclose the details, though (unless they haven't done so already), let alone Nintendo. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
Metallox said:

That's intriguing. I'd totally like to know what was put at stake in that deal regarding the rights and/or publishing. I doubt Platinum will ever disclose the details, though (unless they haven't done so already), let alone Nintendo. 

Platinum paid for rights. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

If that was the case, they would have said something about where the IP rights lie.Instead, they are keeping it a secret.So its clear that they didnt buy it... as of yet.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Wyrdness said:
Nu-13 said:

I don't know why this hasn't released already. It may not have huge sales potential but remastering it for switch costs a small fraction of building it from the ground up for wii u. So even just matching the wii u version sales is already doubling the game's revenue for and extra 10% in cost. And it could always sell much more on the switch, actually making the whole project profitable.

Nintendo likely want to focus more on PG's other pitches/ideas like they did Astral Chain, W101 is a great action title but it'll never have high or even moderate sales potential as a series it's more a passion project at this point Bayonetta was an exception as it has the potential to rival DMC in terms of sales potential and the ports were more to promote the third game's announcement. Think about it AsCh's current 1m has likely pulled in much more than W101 Remaster will ever come close to this move is likely more one to appease PG to bring the companies ever closer than they are.

A port/remaster wouldn't require platinum.

Nu-13 said:
Wyrdness said:

Nintendo likely want to focus more on PG's other pitches/ideas like they did Astral Chain, W101 is a great action title but it'll never have high or even moderate sales potential as a series it's more a passion project at this point Bayonetta was an exception as it has the potential to rival DMC in terms of sales potential and the ports were more to promote the third game's announcement. Think about it AsCh's current 1m has likely pulled in much more than W101 Remaster will ever come close to this move is likely more one to appease PG to bring the companies ever closer than they are.

A port/remaster wouldn't require platinum.

Probably cheaper to do it in house tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

First Kickstarter I've ever backed. I skipped most of the Wii U stuff, but this is exactly my sort of thing (Pikmin + Bayonetta? Perfect!) Keen for a physical copy.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
gergroy said:
The game was pretty terrible, at least to me. I would think they would have been better off releasing something new?

gergroy, in the past you have admitted to like EA games. You have poor taste and everyone should be made aware of that.

BioWare games, yes.  BioWare makes good games! With the exception of anthem I have enjoyed all their games.  

Following your logic, the fact that I like a lot of Nintendo games would mean they bad as well?

twintail said:
Metallox said:
It's very unprecedented from Nintendo to accept this kind of move. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo may have agreed to give over the W101 IP rights in exchange for a tighter control in other projects Platinum has going with Nintendo, such as Astral Chain, Bayo 3, etc. Obviously, this means that, as long Nintendo has interest on the IP, they won't give it over that easily. Sadly, this wasn't the case with The Wonderful 101, but at least now the game can enjoy the prospect of reaching a new audience.

Platinum co-own Astral Chain just like they co-own W101. Bayo is not Nintendo owned and most likely can't continue publishing rights without Platinum being involved considering SEGA let Platinum shop the IP around. Platinum s also going into the self-publishing business.

I'm aware of all of that. Just thought that it was a very un-Nintendo move to let the IP fly without any gain. But after thinking about it, it makes sense from many angles, beginning with the fact that W101 might not be worth hoarding. On top of that, Platinum is also going to indeed start self-publish their work, and this somewhat of a forgotten game is a good start. W101's got a good chance to attract new people, and from there a sequel might pop up, perhaps from Nintendo's funding. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

gergroy said:
RolStoppable said:

gergroy, in the past you have admitted to like EA games. You have poor taste and everyone should be made aware of that.

BioWare games, yes.  BioWare makes good games! With the exception of anthem I have enjoyed all their games.  

Following your logic, the fact that I like a lot of Nintendo games would mean they bad as well?

After ME2 they started to suck. ME3 sucked. DAI was mediocre. DA2 was horrible. It found early success because it was a new-gen. Now practically forgotten. Andromeda is a huge POS. They have not made anything great in a decade. Sucks because I loved Dragon Age Origins so much. Series took such a sharp decline.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 February 2020

Leynos said:
gergroy said:

After ME2 they started to suck. ME3 sucked. DAI was mediocre. DA2 was horrible. It found early success because it was a new-gen. Now practically forgotten. Andromeda is a huge POS. They have not made anything great in a decade. Sucks because I loved Dragon Age Origins so much. Series took such a sharp decline.

All those games had a lot to like.  Heck, inquisition was the most awarded game of the year that year.  I loved ME3, and andromeda was not bad.  Get past the facial animations and it was a very good game.  It wasn’t actually made by the real BioWare either, just a studio that they changed its name to BioWare when they gave them andromeda.  Honestly, outside of DA2 and Anthem I have liked all their games.  It is possible they peaked with the mass effect trilogy though.  Anthem certainly left a very sour taste. We will see what the next dragon age becomes.  If the rumors of it being a live game are true then BioWare may have finally fallen...

gergroy said:
Leynos said:

All those games had a lot to like.  Heck, inquisition was the most awarded game of the year that year.

Again because it was early gen. 2014 was dry outside of Wii U (Wii U had it's best year with Bayo 2, HW,Smash,MK) . Dai isn't very good. Would not be the first time a mediocre game gets awarded and forgotten later. Won't be the last either.