By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Platinum Games will Open a Kickstarter on Monday for a Wonderful 101 Port to Switch and PS4 (COMFIRMED!)

Tagged games:

Paatar said:
Nu-13 said:

I don't know why this hasn't released already. It may not have huge sales potential but remastering it for switch costs a small fraction of building it from the ground up for wii u. So even just matching the wii u version sales is already doubling the game's revenue for and extra 10% in cost. And it could always sell much more on the switch, actually making the whole project profitable.

They first and foremost wanted to self-publish the title, which is likely what the initial 50k is for. Because of self publishing, that's why other ports are also going to happen.

If this kickstarter had not been successful they likely would have asked Nintendo to publish in exchange for Switch exclusivity. Because according to Kamiya, Nintendo said they would publish for exclusivity but also gave them the option to self-publish and port to multiple platforms. Which is why they went the kickstarter route. 

I mean why nintendo didn't get this done last year already.

cycycychris said:

The Stretch goals:

I wonder (no pun intended) how many millions it would take for an xbox one version.

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:

I don't know why this hasn't released already. It may not have huge sales potential but remastering it for switch costs a small fraction of building it from the ground up for wii u. So even just matching the wii u version sales is already doubling the game's revenue for and extra 10% in cost. And it could always sell much more on the switch, actually making the whole project profitable.

Nintendo likely want to focus more on PG's other pitches/ideas like they did Astral Chain, W101 is a great action title but it'll never have high or even moderate sales potential as a series it's more a passion project at this point Bayonetta was an exception as it has the potential to rival DMC in terms of sales potential and the ports were more to promote the third game's announcement. Think about it AsCh's current 1m has likely pulled in much more than W101 Remaster will ever come close to this move is likely more one to appease PG to bring the companies ever closer than they are.

KLXVER said:
I don't know about this. I love Platinum, but 500K for a PS4 port? What on earth would they need the extra 450K for?

250K is likely the cost of the PS4 port, as the PC port is the 250K stretch goal.

Since the Switch port at least is releasing in April, chances that is basically done and they needed the 50k for the resources to publish it themselves.

People who are complaining about this game are probably not real gamers. Most likely playstation fans who think everything which is not on playstation is not good, I hate this mentality.

I have played for over 30 years now, I've had a few PCs and most if not all consoles launched, I currently have a ps4 pro, xbox X, switch and wiiU, the wiiU has given me some of the most memorable and unique experiences this generation, with ZombiU an experience impossible to replicate in any other system, pikmin 1, 2 and 3 as a unique series that exists only in Nintendo consoles, but on top is definitely wonderful 101, one of the most unique and enjoyable games I had the pleasure to experience this generation.

It is not perfect, the swipes could have been improved, but the game is a thrill ride, probably most gamers here didn't like it because the game requires skill, modern gamers used to stuff like call of duty do not know what skill means, the same people that complained god of war was too difficult on the hard I love it, I play all my games on the hardest difficulty and god of war on hard was too easy for me.

Maybe this is another reason I loved zombiU, despite having to manage 2 screens at the same time, the hard difficulty you only have 1 single life, I loved it, if you die your game is over for good, there are no saves to get you back.

In my opinion, this game cant be done on the ps4, because many parts require 2 screens, but it could be done as a good enough. I would not buy it, as the wiiU wil always be the definitive experience, same with zombiU, I tried on ps4, was cheap, but the experience was much worse, same with Rayman Legends, these games were built for the use of 2 screens, one being touch screen, and ps4 doesn't have that.

RolStoppable said:
Those stretch goals make the PS4 version look really cheap in comparison. Not sure if people will be excited for a quickly put together 2D sidedish.

I've seen some people speculate, that those 2D sections might actually be Viewtful Joe inspired levels. So that would explain the large cost.

Around the Network

It's very unprecedented from Nintendo to accept this kind of move. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo may have agreed to give over the W101 IP rights in exchange for a tighter control in other projects Platinum has going with Nintendo, such as Astral Chain, Bayo 3, etc. Obviously, this means that, as long Nintendo has interest on the IP, they won't give it over that easily. Sadly, this wasn't the case with The Wonderful 101, but at least now the game can enjoy the prospect of reaching a new audience.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

TruckOSaurus said:
I could never get into that game. I had trouble drawing a simple line to cross a gap when there was no pressure, so in combat you can bet your ass all my drawing attempts ended up with random results which made the game incredibly frustrating to play.

You could use the joystick to draw, my nephew also had difficulty with the long straight line as there was not enough space on the touch screen, but he used the joystick, I managed to learn the long draws, all other drawing were easy, I use my nail because the wiiU gamepad is not as sensitive as switch or mobile phones, they need more pressure, the nail works better than the edge of the finger. If I can do it, anyone can do it, we all have fingers. And part of the magic of this game is the pressure/stress of using 2 screens, I like challenging games.

They didn't give up the IP rights. Just allowed them to make it multiplat in order to keep a good relationship with a trusted partner.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Metallox said:
It's very unprecedented from Nintendo to accept this kind of move. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo may have agreed to give over the W101 IP rights in exchange for a tighter control in other projects Platinum has going with Nintendo, such as Astral Chain, Bayo 3, etc. Obviously, this means that, as long Nintendo has interest on the IP, they won't give it over that easily. Sadly, this wasn't the case with The Wonderful 101, but at least now the game can enjoy the prospect of reaching a new audience.

Gemtasu did an inteview with Kamiya, he said this.

Kamiya: “We felt it did not quite reach the audience that it deserved. As creators we are very confident in the game. This project is a unique opportunity to bring the fans together and see how far the game can go, which is why we went the crowdfunding route. We did speak with Nintendo about it initially, but they said, ‘you either do it only with us or do it yourselves.’ But speaking with them they allowed us to cut a deal, so we took upon ourselves to start this project. Dangen Entertainment is helping us. We have seen successful campaigns in the past, Bloodstained in particular, so we saw it as a very unique and interesting opportunity.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the-wonderful-101-remastered-announced-for-switch-ps4-and-pc-with-kickstarter-campaign

Seems like Nintendo was willing to let them do this without giving up the rights as long as Platinum got the funding together themselves. I do believe that this shows how highly Nintendo and Platinum value their relationship with each other. Should be interesting to see what this means for the IP going forward, because as you said this might show how little Nintendo values the IP or maybe it gets strong enough sales that Nintendo might fund a sequel.

Leynos said:
They didn't give up the IP rights. Just allowed them to make it multiplat in order to keep a good relationship with a trusted partner.

Source for this? Too much information already out there. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.