By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: The Major Switch Title This Holiday Season Could Have "Tyres" In It

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:
Pretty much every game has tyres in it somewhere, that doesn't mean much.

We are going to get Donkey Kong Country 6, so show some more excitement.

YES! This is also my guess. Mario Kart would be too soon, plus he already said it was from a franchise "you probably don't expect." He knew by saying tires everyone would think MK, but of course tires are a huge staple of the Donkey Kong franchise as well.

My only other guesses would be Excitebike (that would be awesome) or Pikmin 3. Pikmin because remember you are very small, and I could see him mentioning tires specifically if say your home base in the game turns out be a tractor tire or something lol

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
S.Peelman said:

It actually sold 22.96M on Switch alone. With a further 8.5M on WiiU give or take.

Isn't it the top selling Switch game period?

Yes, and it'll stay that way without breaking a sweat.

S.Peelman said:
Pemalite said:

Doesn't help that the game gets bundled heavily as well.

Either way, I think a new entry could be fitting, Mario Kart 8 has shifted 22.96 million copies across WiiU and Switch (Granted there is some double dipping in that number, but who gives a shit.)
That is 22.96 million~ potential customers that a Mario Kart 9 could be very tempting for, so while yes... Mario Kart 8 is still selling, still priced high, Mario Kart 8 could help shift more consoles like it did for the WiiU.

It actually sold 22.96M on Switch alone. With a further 8.5M on WiiU give or take.

Happy to stand corrected.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

There is no tires in F-Zero. We can eliminate that title I guess.

I'm not getting the "it will cannibalize the sales of their best title" arguement. MK8D has maybe a 10m left in it but MK9 would easily sell over 20m and MK8D won't completely stop selling so from a business perspective there's a greater sales potential in releasing MK9 than just letting MK8D do its thing.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:

Let me clarify. We already have a Mario Kart title on Switch, so another Mario Kart isn't going to move the needle. F-Zero offers something the Switch does have and can offer a difference experience. It can also be used in conjunction with their online. Not even saying they can't have both. They could easily outsource it to another studio which is what they did with F-Zero GX. Then you'd have your cake and eat it too. Comparing to Mario Kart was probably a bad idea. Nonetheless, it's silly they haven't had another one.

I don't know what you mean by move the needle, but what F-Zero offers just doesn't have a lot of fans. Fast RMX and probably others such games are on Switch so it wouldn't be super unique. I recall the Mario Kart team saying they had interest in making F-Zero, so if it were to be made in house it'd be by them, but well, they're the Mario Kart team. Thanks to MK8 port they were given a chance to make something else for once, but it was ARMS. That they haven't even outsourced F-Zero should be really telling how important Nintendo believes it is. I do agree they should give it another go like they are with Metroid.

NextGen_Gamer said:

YES! This is also my guess. Mario Kart would be too soon, plus he already said it was from a franchise "you probably don't expect." He knew by saying tires everyone would think MK, but of course tires are a huge staple of the Donkey Kong franchise as well.

My only other guesses would be Excitebike (that would be awesome) or Pikmin 3. Pikmin because remember you are very small, and I could see him mentioning tires specifically if say your home base in the game turns out be a tractor tire or something lol

Or perhaps he knew there are many people like yourself who believe it's too soon for another Mario Kart and that there can only be 1 per system. That's giving him too much credit though. "You probably don't expect" is pretentious, vague, and meaningless much like this rumor in general.

My question for you, do you think it's the Mario Kart team making Donkey Kong Country? We know it's not Retro, and the Mario Kart team had 2 years of dev time since they stopped updating ARMS so we're likely to see what they've been working on soon. Be weird to see an IP suddenly shift studios but not impossible.

CaptainExplosion said:

The anticipation is driving me insane!!

im just getting tired of this rumor.

TruckOSaurus said:
I'm not getting the "it will cannibalize the sales of their best title" arguement. MK8D has maybe a 10m left in it but MK9 would easily sell over 20m and MK8D won't completely stop selling so from a business perspective there's a greater sales potential in releasing MK9 than just letting MK8D do its thing.

MK8D is on track to be the best selling mario kart (doesn't even need the original wii u version) and it would simply be stupid to waste a mario kart 9 on the switch when it can live to it's potential as a launch tittle for the switch 2.

Nu-13 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

MK8D is on track to be the best selling mario kart (doesn't even need the original wii u version) and it would simply be stupid to waste a mario kart 9 on the switch when it can live to it's potential as a launch tittle for the switch 2.

Wouldn't that make the Switch Nintendo's first console without a dedicated exclusive Mario Kart since the NES?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Nu-13 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Best option would be to release Mario Kart 9 on switch with it's large install base and get it's 20 plus million sales then release Mario kart 9 deluxe on switch 2 with 4k resolution and exclusive characters etc, this will double up on sales just like GTA 5 did by releasing on two generations of consoles. This stratergy would make the most money.