By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than 1st party on Switch"

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Actually, I present the games, that are actually there as evidence, that 3rd-party games sell. EA is actually using the absence of evidence as their main argument. You do with your closing statement, because not much of the games that released on Switch have sold more than 2M on other platforms, and those who are are mostly late ports (Skyrim) or seriously diminished versions (FIFA Legacy). I instead argue with games that are actually released on Switch, and that do as well or even better than their releases on other platforms.

Late ports and stripped versions have sold quite well on other platforms.

The other devs aren't considered such garbage as EA right? So what reason have they to not release those games on Switch? That is the evidence you need, they release what they believe will profit them (they may be wrong) same with EA.

What they believe would sell haven't crossed 2M.

Or are you suggesting that they just want to release what wouldn't sell blockbuster numbers? The old argument that pubs think Nintendo money is bad money.

scottslater said:

Do you have evidence to back up that last statement?

EDIT: from the list of games that I could find of best selling Switch games it only accounts for 172.51 million of the total sales of 310.65 games sold on the Switch, so there is still a lot of games being sold that are likely not Nintendo games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

Find 10 3rd party games on Switch that sold more than 2M. There certainly have more than 10 1st party that crossed 2M.

Look at PS4/X1 and you will find plenty of 3rd party games that crossed 2M.

How do you know there arent 10 3rd party games that have sold more than 2 million?

The list you provided is just confirmed titles that have sold over 1 million, it is not a complete list.

Nintendo announces every published title that sells over 1 million in a single fiscal year and updates the top ten after each quarter.

As for Minecraft, we get weekly numbers from Famitsu which show it has sold over 1 million in Japan alone and the developers of Enter the Gungeon publically stated that it has crossed 1 million on Switch.

There is no way of knowing the sales of 3rd party games because the majority of publishers/developers do not give out specific numbers, they say things like "exceeded expectations", "generated x amount of revenue" or "exceeded x amount of active players". Statements that dont tell you the amount of copies sold.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

The other devs aren't considered such garbage as EA right? So what reason have they to not release those games on Switch? That is the evidence you need, they release what they believe will profit them (they may be wrong) same with EA.

Or are you suggesting that they just want to release what wouldn't sell blockbuster numbers? The old argument that pubs think Nintendo money is bad money.

Find 10 3rd party games on Switch that sold more than 2M. There certainly have more than 10 1st party that crossed 2M.

Again, I provided examples of games that sold well on Switch compared to other platforms. EA argues with games that aren't even released. So EA basically has no argument and evidence. Why do you feel the need to defend their ridiculous statement?

EA isn't a company that focus on sub 1M games, that isn't pretty much clear? So again, the type of games they do and the type of sales they expect aren't feasible for them on Nintendo not sure why that is a problem.

scottslater said:
DonFerrari said:

Wait, what? You provided a statement without any actual facts and I asked you to provide evidence and then you tell me to find them?

We don't get much data from 3rd party developers, so to make a statement such as "there is a lack of 3rd party games under 2 million copies" when we don't get that data is pretty irresponsible.

You are on VGChartz, just hit  the search button and select Switch as the platform and you'll all the tracked sales. What you won't see are many 2M sellers from 3rd parties.

There is a single game that sold more than 2M on Switch published by a 3rd party, at 17th position with 2.59M sales.

On PS4 you have almost 100 games with over 2M sales (if you put X1 together possibly would be over 150) and most of them are 3rd parties.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

How do you know there arent 10 3rd party games that have sold more than 2 million?

The list you provided is just confirmed titles that have sold over 1 million, it is not a complete list.

Nintendo announces every published title that sells over 1 million in a single fiscal year and updates the top ten after each quarter.

As for Minecraft, we get weekly numbers from Famitsu which show it has sold over 1 million in Japan alone and the developers of Enter the Gungeon publically stated that it has crossed 1 million on Switch.

There is no way of knowing the sales of 3rd party games because the majority of publishers/developers do not give out specific numbers, they say things like "exceeded expectations", "generated x amount of revenue" or "exceeded x amount of active players". Statements that dont tell you the amount of copies sold.

I haven't provided a list, maybe you confused poster. I asked him to show 10 games published by 3rd parties on Switch that crossed 2M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

First, those numbers are estimated sales, not actual data from the companies.  Second, they are outdated as it hasn't been updated in over a year...

@DonFerrari 

Last edited by scottslater - on 03 February 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Seems like EA is spinning around and is now saying that they love the Switch, ever loved it and will bring tons of games to it:

https://www.ccn.com/the-ugly-truth-about-eas-sudden-nintendo-switch-love-fest/

And like they say in that News, the reason probably is that they now believe they can make enough earnings through lootboxes now, but not during it's launch...

It is the same old topic that we saw with the Wii.  Honestly if the switch had the same power as xone/ps4 it would get similar third party support. Vita didn't get much support either while PS3/PS4 got way more support.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
konnichiwa said:

It is the same old topic that we saw with the Wii.  Honestly if the switch had the same power as xone/ps4 it would get similar third party support. Vita didn't get much support either while PS3/PS4 got way more support.

Except EA supported the hell out of the Wii from day 1.

I dont think it was the support that some people wanted.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Again, I provided examples of games that sold well on Switch compared to other platforms. EA argues with games that aren't even released. So EA basically has no argument and evidence. Why do you feel the need to defend their ridiculous statement?

EA isn't a company that focus on sub 1M games, that isn't pretty much clear? So again, the type of games they do and the type of sales they expect aren't feasible for them on Nintendo not sure why that is a problem.

scottslater said:

Wait, what? You provided a statement without any actual facts and I asked you to provide evidence and then you tell me to find them?

We don't get much data from 3rd party developers, so to make a statement such as "there is a lack of 3rd party games under 2 million copies" when we don't get that data is pretty irresponsible.

You are on VGChartz, just hit  the search button and select Switch as the platform and you'll all the tracked sales. What you won't see are many 2M sellers from 3rd parties.

There is a single game that sold more than 2M on Switch published by a 3rd party, at 17th position with 2.59M sales.

On PS4 you have almost 100 games with over 2M sales (if you put X1 together possibly would be over 150) and most of them are 3rd parties.

zorg1000 said:

I haven't provided a list, maybe you confused poster. I asked him to show 10 games published by 3rd parties on Switch that crossed 2M.

Whoops, I thought you posted that link.

But do you realize Vgchartz stopped tracking software at the end of 2018?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, I provided that list to show that Nintendo published games account for about 55% of software sales, so there has to be several successful 3rd party games.

Nintendo with the Switch:

RolStoppable said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Seems like EA is spinning around and is now saying that they love the Switch, ever loved it and will bring tons of games to it:

https://www.ccn.com/the-ugly-truth-about-eas-sudden-nintendo-switch-love-fest/

And like they say in that News, the reason probably is that they now believe they can make enough earnings through lootboxes now, but not during it's launch...

Your article is hot garbage. Nothing new has been said at all because all of EA's statements stem from the same conference call. When you read them all on the website Nintendo Insider where the quotes are located, all you get is that EA knows no restraints when it comes to deception and backhanded compliments. There will be no "tons of games" like you were led to believe by that CCN source.

Believe me, neither me or CCN were led to believe that - just noting that EA is turning around like a spinning top right now.

scottslater said:

First, those numbers are estimated sales, not actual data from the companies.  Second, they are outdated as it hasn't been updated in over a year...

@DonFerrari 

Sure for both, and no company have reported over 2M games sold on Switch have they? Will ask again can you show source for 10 3rd party games that sold over 2M on Switch?

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep it have been said. But those are the only numbers we had and within 1 or 2 years PS4/X1 had more than 10 2M+ 3rd party sellers right?

I'll say it again, pubs don't hate money nor hate Nintendo. The reason they don't put the big guns on Switch (or do an exclusive for it that is big) is because their forecasts show that there isn't the return they expect to receive on other platforms. There really isn't another answer, unless we go conspiracy theories or pubs hate Nintendo money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."