By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

It'll be a close fight between second-generation BA.2.75 and BA.5 lineages for supremacy by the end of the year. I think BA.2.75 will have the edge since it can accommodate more mutations and their detrimental effects than BA.5, but who knows for sure.

Around the Network

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/global-failure-lancet-covid-19-commission-critical-of-pandemic-handling-1.6070180

An international panel of experts issued sharp critiques of governments around the world over their handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, calling their performances “untrustworthy and ineffective” and saying they suffered “massive global failure at multiple levels.”

The judgment, which highlighted a detrimental lack of international cooperation, was published in a 57-page final report by The Lancet COVID-19 Commission on Wednesday that also outlined policy recommendations aimed at preventing future pandemic disasters.

Officially, more than 7 million people have died since the SARS-CoV-2 virus was first identified in late 2019, according to data by the Institute for Health metrics and Evaluation (IHME), referenced in the Lancet paper. But the IHME, an independent health research organization based at the University of Washington, also estimates that the actual number of deaths attributable to COVID-19 – including unreported deaths – actually stand at more than 17 million.

“Too many governments have failed to adhere to basic norms of institutional rationality and transparency, too many people—often influenced by misinformation—have disrespected and protested against basic public health precautions, and the world's major powers have failed to collaborate to control the pandemic.”

The lack of coordination among countries, along with critical delays in reporting the initial outbreak, in acknowledging airborne exposure as the primary method of transmission, and in implementing measures to slow the spread are just a few of the key critiques leveled in the report. The Commission also cited the failure to ensure equitable distribution of protective gear, devices and hoarding vaccines, to combat disinformation, and to protect vulnerable populations.

Despite the failures of the last two years, the panel stressed the urgency of global cooperation in order to end the current COVID-19 pandemic and be ready for the next one.

Among other measures, the panel called for vigilance around new variants, coordinated surveillance to monitor the risks around future waves, and pushed for high immunization coverage around the world. They specifically called out China, the U.S., the EU, India and the Russian Federation to set aside geopolitical rivalries and asked U.N. organizations and major economies for leadership.

Weekly update. USA and Europe are showing the first signs of a new wave coming.

In total 3.53 million new cases were reported last week (down from 3.62 million)
Also another 14,462 deaths were reported (up from 13,201) to a total of 6,529,159

USA reported 455K new cases (up from 432K) and 3,119 more deaths (up from 2,484)
Europe reported 1.27 million new cases (up from 1.08 million) and 6,220 more deaths (up from 4,261)

The continents

Oceania dip and back up is likely due to most of Australia switching to weekly reporting

Corners of the world

Australia either had a back log of cases to report or is switching to weekly reporting.

Our youngest has picked up the first soar throat at school, hopefully just a cold.

The US seems just a bump looking at the seven-day average and there were some death backlogs in Europe, but there was a real increase in France.

I'm unsure about the timing of the next wave. BA.5 lineages with R346T might be intermediate to BA.2.75.2 and their relative growth is small and similar to each other. It could be just another smooth line like the US from BA.2.12.1 to BA.5 or numbers could remain low until a November surge.

Weekly update, overall still going down, deaths back under 10K a week, Europe slowly heading up

In total 3.12 million new cases were reported last week (down from 3.52 million)
Also another 9,787 more deaths were reported (down from 14,462 and 13,201 the week before that)

USA reported 399K new cases (down from 455K) and 3,109 more deaths (3,119 last week)
Europe reported 1.35 million new cases (up from 1.27 million) and 2,456 more deaths (down from 6,220 and 4,261 the week before that)

The continents

Europe creeping back up, Oceania hard to tell now Australia has switched to weekly reporting. The rest still heading down.

Corners of the world

Locally also still going down (hospitalizations) however wastewater surveillance was showing an uptick last measurement (14th)
Nothing big, could just be statistical noise.

The kids are getting sick regardless, probably other viruses popping back up for the school season. Sore throats, headaches, school always delivers. But it's necessary to build immunity.

Around the Network
Amnesia said:

September 2022 and there are still people obsessed by this ?

And for good reason. People in Florida had to rush out and get another jab to protect themselves from hurricane ian. Covid is affecting the weather!

EricHiggin said:
Amnesia said:

September 2022 and there are still people obsessed by this ?

And for good reason. People in Florida had to rush out and get another jab to protect themselves from hurricane ian. Covid is affecting the weather!

I thought this was a joke really... When I see US's president it makes me feel like we live in a dystopia horror movie. How is this possible that out of 350 millions people, they have chosen this man to "lead" the country.

"How surprising that people are still following one of the biggest pandemics in the last 100 years."

Are you serious ? Almost everybody know today that it was all a scam, the number of death have been multiplied by 20 or 50 in every country, we know today that in France no hospital was ever full even in March-April 2020.

~Thread Banned -Ryuu96

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 30 September 2022

Weekly update, fall wave is picking up speed in Europe

In total 3.27 million new cases were reported last week (up from 3.12 million)
Also another 10,271 more deaths were reported (up from 9,787) to a total of 6,549,212

USA reported 352K new cases (down from 399K) and 3,237 more deaths (up from 3,109)
Europe reported 1.72 million new cases (up from 1.35 million) and 3,667 more deaths (up from 2,456)

Either the criteria must be very different between USA and Europe what counts as Covid death or Americans die a lot easier. Per million population the death rate in the USA is about twice as high as in Europe.

The continents

A slight up tick in South America, but it's Europe again that's driving the next wave.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/germany-warns-of-rise-in-covid-19-cases-going-into-fall-1.6090875

Germany's health minister warned Friday that the country is seeing a steady rise in COVID-19 cases as it goes into the fall, and urged older people to get a second booster shot tweaked to protect against new variants.

Other European countries such as France, Denmark and the Netherlands are also recording an increase in cases, Karl Lauterbach told reporters in Berlin.

Corners of the world

Australia seems to be settling on spreading out the weekly total over the week.

As for the loss of taste and smell
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/long-covid-what-science-has-learned-about-the-loss-of-smell-and-taste-1.6091840

Some 5% of global COVID-19 survivors have developed long-lasting taste and smell problems, according to a 2022 study. More than two years into the pandemic, researchers found an estimated 15 million people may still have problems perceiving odours, while 12 million may struggle with taste.

When the virus that causes COVID-19 invaded our lives, a condition that was relatively rare among people under 50 expanded exponentially, affecting all ages.

"COVID-19 affected younger people much more than other forms of post-viral smell loss," said surgeon Dr. Eric Holbrook, an associate professor of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery at Harvard Medical School. "You wouldn't see much smell loss in the pediatric population, for example, and now it's very common."

Statistics show most people recover their sense of taste and smell. An August analysis of 267 people who lost smell and taste at least two years ago found the majority either fully (38.2%) or partially (54.3%) recovered their ability to smell and taste. That was especially true for people under 40, according to the study.

But 7.5% had not recovered their sense of smell and taste two years after their COVID-19 infection cleared. Those who were least likely to recover included people with existing nasal congestion, more women than men, and those who had a greater initial severity of smell loss, the study found.

Good, this thread was too boring to vandalize.

I took a PCR test this morning, was pretty sure it's not Covid which the test confirmed. But better be sure. No clue what I have, nasty cold/flu. I haven't been this sick for many years. The two times I was exposed to Covid I hardly had any symptoms. My fever broke a bunch of times last night, waking up all covered in sweat, feeling a bit better this morning. Bowels no longer in a knot. I guess not being exposed to the usual barrage of school viruses for the past 2 years has made my immune system lazy, or I'm just getting older :/