By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

The shots don't prevent you from getting infected, don't even prevent you from passing it on. They do prevent you getting very sick, or rather give you a head start on beating the virus.

Some people hardly notice anything from Covid-19, they can still carry it and pass it on though. Everyone reacts differently to the virus. My wife got very badly ill twice now (and still not fully recovered, her hearing on the right is slowly coming back finally), my one kid was sick for a week then relapsed and was sick for another week. The other was fine after a couple days. I had a sore throat for a month the first time in 2020 and just a little bit tired the second time earlier this year. If my wife and kids didn't have it I would have never thought my bit of extra tiredness was from Covid. I had a bigger reaction to the 3rd shot!

So yeah the shots can get you over it quickly and you might never notice you caught it. They also make you less contagious and for a shorter period, so you're also helping out others by getting vaccinated. But they don't prevent getting infected.

Ugh https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/expert-predicts-massive-eighth-wave-after-ont-lifts-covid-isolation-rules-1.6050428

An infectious disease expert believes Ontario's decision to lift COVID-19 isolation rules will trigger a "massive eighth wave" as children head back to school next week.

Ontario announced Wednesday that its mandatory five-day isolation rule for individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be scrapped. Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore said that sick individuals should still isolate and return to work or school 24 hours after their symptoms end.

As if our anxiety level wasn't high enough yet with back 2 school coming next week.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 31 August 2022

Around the Network
Norion said:

Well it's finally got me but after one kinda rough day I feel mostly better thankfully so it wasn't that bad at all for me.

Now after 2.5 weeks later it's finally just about fully cleared up. There were a couple days or so in the first half I got really tired early and had to sleep extra hours due to that but it still wasn't that bad overall thankfully. The cough lasting over two weeks was annoying but with my smell and taste being unaffected and there being seemingly no long term effects I'll take it.

haxxiy said:

There are now 4,800,300 Covid papers/preprints (on Google Scholar). There is a paper for essentially any narrative. A search for "Covid AND rabbit" returns 282,000 hits; "Covid AND carrot" 10,300 hits; and "Covid AND Pokémon" 4310 hits...
Yes, really. And for some reason, these top-tier absurd papers always come from either China or Japan.

How many "Covid AND tentacles" hits?

I have to admit after being masked for the entirety of my time in Japan since Corona began. Then during my vacation in the US being maskless, including on the airplane, I thought I would have it by now.

Allergies still put me down though.

Conina said:

haxxiy said:

How many "Covid AND tentacles" hits?

Around 2,390 actually, but most were just using the old cliché metaphor for something that is spreading :P

Around the Network

Weekly update, the slow downward trend continues

In total 4.57 million new cases were reported last week (down from 5.21 million)
Also another 15,669 more deaths were reported (down from 16,286) to a total of 6,501,316

USA reported 612K new cases (down from 657K) and 3,813 more deaths (up from 3.528)
Europe reported 1.23 million new cases (up from 1.18 million) and 4,479 more deaths (down from 4,996)

The continents

There was a correction in Brazil, otherwise still heading down.

Corners of the world

Japan's reported deaths are peaking now as well, thus definitely past the peak. It was their highest peak so far in the pandemic with a 7 day average of 289 daily deaths, up from a peak of 233 daily deaths March 1st.

China is still cracking down hard on the virus
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/shenzhen-districts-locked-down-as-china-battles-covid-outbreaks-1.6054661

Most residents of the Chinese tech hub of Shenzhen went into a weekend lockdown on Saturday as mass COVID-19 testing kicked off in much of the city of 18 million people.

Residents in six districts that account for the majority of the city's population will be tested twice over the weekend, helping to "minimize the impact on people's working life," the city government said in a statement published on Saturday on its official WeChat account.

Those areas in the six major districts that have been classified as "high-risk areas" will remain in lockdown for seven days, with an extension possible if more positive cases are found, according to a Reuters review of district authority announcements published between Thursday and Saturday.

In the city's Futian district, Candice, a 28-year-old who works with a headhunting business, expressed dismay over the latest lockdown measures.

"The fear of going places, the constant disruption to work, has to be worse than the virus itself," she said, declining to give her full name.

Officials reported 87 new locally transmitted COVID infections in Shenzhen for Friday, the same as a day earlier. Seven of the new cases were outside quarantine areas.

Shenzhen's new measures reflect China's strict adherence to a "dynamic COVID zero" policy of quashing every flare-up.

The Southern Hemisphere survived winter with BA.4/5 arriving exactly at the same time, so you folks up there will be fine. Can't honestly remember the last time I saw someone with genuine Covid pneumonia.

We weren't doing all that great in summer, and now the 5 day isolation period is gone as well. Our measures for the predicted massive 8th wave are, recommend to stay home when you're sick. We'll see. We just had Labour day weekend, big fairs everywhere, people on top of each other, school starts tomorrow. Just like last year, a perfect set up for another wave.

Weekly update, the downward trend continues.

In total 3.62 million new cases were reported last week (down from 4.57 million)
Also another 13,201 more deaths were reported (down from 15,669)

USA reported 432K new cases last week (down from 612K) and 2,484 more deaths (down from 3,813)
Europe reported 1.08 million new cases last week (down from 1.23 million and 4,261 more deaths (down from 4,479)

The continents

Going well, all continue to go down

Corners of the world

Deaths have also peaked in Japan, their biggest wave so far, now over.

Wastewater data was climbing here yet the latest update (31st) shows a decline. All good.

September 2022 and there are still people obsessed by this ?