By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Meanwhile Israel is starting to re-open

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/israel-eases-lockdown-restrictions-after-vaccine-success-1.5317884

Almost half its population of 9.3 million have received the first dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. Nearly 3 million have gotten the second shot. (That's excluding Palestinians who have received 2,000 doses)

Israel unveiled its plan to allow the vaccinated to attend cultural events, fly abroad and patronize restaurants and health clubs by using a "green badge" app on Saturday ahead of the reopening of the economy.

Green badge app, ugh that sounds so wrong on so many levels. Immunity passports yuck.

Around the Network

Is no one gonna mention the fact that the USA passed the 500k milestone for deaths?
I feel like "half a million" has a impact, when you can say that out loud, and its actually true.

Over 510k people in the USA have no died to Covid19.

JRPGfan said:

Is no one gonna mention the fact that the USA passed the 500k milestone for deaths?
I feel like "half a million" has a impact, when you can say that out loud, and its actually true.

Over 510k people in the USA have no died to Covid19.

That's just because they test so much more than everyone else!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Excellent real-world results concerning the reduction of severe Covid-19 cases after the first dose, already in the first month:

Data for the Pfizer jab matches very well what we already have from Israel, so expect similar results as theirs after the second dose. As for the AZ vaccine, I suspect it will continue to increase before the delayed second dose from their, and J&J's, clinical trials, so all seems good.

Our retarded system blunders on

A friend of wife had to keep one of her kids home today due to bowel movement issues. Result, now all 5 of her kids are barred from school for 2 weeks and need a covid test before being allowed back to school. Her doctor has no time, the covid testing center doesn't answer the phone nor answers emails, impossible to get a hold off. She is pissed, never went anywhere, been careful all the time and now this.

Btw runny noses are back on the list to throw kids out of school, schools will be empty soon lol. We just had a huge dump of snow, chaos this morning, buses late. (One got stuck near our house, not plowed yet) Yet if you decided to keep your kids home, instead of stuck on a bus in the snow, you are now required to get a covid test and isolate for 2 weeks. The stupidity has no end.

Anyway, more reinforcement it was the best choice to stick to online learning. What's going on in schools is even worse. Unfortunately my kids both get new teachers, again. 4 teachers in a year. My oldest's teacher is not allowed to teach anymore (wants to, but officially retired and has 'used up' his quota of teaching days, a shame, he's a good one) and my youngest's teacher should have been replaced weeks ago (expecting a baby any time now)

This fucking mess needs to end. Guess I get to rant some more while waiting for the ad covering the post quick reply button to F off :)

Around the Network

Some in the UK have been discussing the possibility of another wave after the openings, but if over 20% at risk people outright refuse a vaccine that's readily available to them, as it should be in a couple of months, should society as a whole even give a damn? Legally enforce vaccination, then, or at least presume they waivered their right to a hospital bed if someone else needs it...

I'm finally got scheduled for my first shot tomorrow morning. I'm excited for it and my 2nd one a month later. I see a massive 32 oz. juicy steak at a fancy restaurant in my future. I have not been in public since March of 2020.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

First I'm hearing about this covid related condition that affects children. This poor kid...

https://www.newsweek.com/boy-arms-legs-amputated-after-developing-covid-linked-condition-mis-c-1571353

SvennoJ said:

While on the one side we're getting the death rate down, on the other, long term symptoms seem to be more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/almost-a-third-of-people-with-mild-covid-19-still-battle-symptoms-months-later-study-finds-1.5316239

A new research letter published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open is shedding new light on the condition. Researchers from the University of Washington followed 177 people with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection for up to nine months -- the longest follow-up to date. Notably, this group included 150 outpatients, who had "mild" disease and were not hospitalized.

They found that 30 per cent of respondents reported persistent symptoms. The most common were fatigue and loss of smell or taste. More than 30 per cent of respondents reported worse quality of life compared to before getting sick. And 14 participants (8 per cent) -- including nine people who had not been hospitalized -- reported having trouble performing at least one usual activity, such as daily chores.

The researchers wrote that with 57.8 million cases worldwide, "even a small incidence of long-term debility could have enormous health and economic consequences."

A much larger study, published in early January in The Lancet, found that of 1,733 coronavirus patients treated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, 76 per cent were still experiencing at least one symptom six months after their symptoms began. But this group was made up entirely of hospitalized patients.

Stress can cause a lot symptoms as well yet some things are too specific like loss of smell and taste.

As for what is causing those symptoms, Sandrock points to several culprits. Some might be caused by the complications of an extended hospital or ICU stay, which is known to be hard on the body and have lasting effects. Some could be triggered by microvascular disease -- damage to the capillaries, which Sandrock says is behind many symptoms, from chest pain to "COVID toes" to fatigue and even brain fog. Some symptoms could be set off by an autoimmune response triggered by high levels of inflammation, such as joint and body aches, sleep disturbances, depression and fatigue. And some could be as a direct infection by the virus, such as loss of smell and/or taste, according to Sandrock.

And 20 years from now we'll find out that it's an oncogenic virus, because COVID19 is vile that way. 

LurkerJ said:
SvennoJ said:

While on the one side we're getting the death rate down, on the other, long term symptoms seem to be more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/almost-a-third-of-people-with-mild-covid-19-still-battle-symptoms-months-later-study-finds-1.5316239

A new research letter published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open is shedding new light on the condition. Researchers from the University of Washington followed 177 people with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection for up to nine months -- the longest follow-up to date. Notably, this group included 150 outpatients, who had "mild" disease and were not hospitalized.

They found that 30 per cent of respondents reported persistent symptoms. The most common were fatigue and loss of smell or taste. More than 30 per cent of respondents reported worse quality of life compared to before getting sick. And 14 participants (8 per cent) -- including nine people who had not been hospitalized -- reported having trouble performing at least one usual activity, such as daily chores.

The researchers wrote that with 57.8 million cases worldwide, "even a small incidence of long-term debility could have enormous health and economic consequences."

A much larger study, published in early January in The Lancet, found that of 1,733 coronavirus patients treated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, 76 per cent were still experiencing at least one symptom six months after their symptoms began. But this group was made up entirely of hospitalized patients.

Stress can cause a lot symptoms as well yet some things are too specific like loss of smell and taste.

As for what is causing those symptoms, Sandrock points to several culprits. Some might be caused by the complications of an extended hospital or ICU stay, which is known to be hard on the body and have lasting effects. Some could be triggered by microvascular disease -- damage to the capillaries, which Sandrock says is behind many symptoms, from chest pain to "COVID toes" to fatigue and even brain fog. Some symptoms could be set off by an autoimmune response triggered by high levels of inflammation, such as joint and body aches, sleep disturbances, depression and fatigue. And some could be as a direct infection by the virus, such as loss of smell and/or taste, according to Sandrock.

And 20 years from now we'll find out that it's an oncogenic virus, because COVID19 is vile that way. 

Scientists will have a lot of trouble trying to pin it on COVID-19 in 20 years when they also have to consider COVID-25, COVID-33 and COVID-40A and COVID-40B.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.