By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

I actually googled it.
Apparently around 650k in the USA die due to heart related issues (heart diseases).
Thats like 1 outta 4 deaths in the USA, are due to it.

Corona is giveing heart diseases a run for its money, in terms of deaths pr year.

We all eventually die of something and old age isn't used as a cause of death. But even with that, Corona is still given the chance to compete :/

As for Vietnam, I don't know how it's going there now. However one of my best friends growing up came from Vietnam. Political asylum, his parents weren't safe there anymore. So all I know of Vietnam is through them, very hard working people, very friendly and welcoming, house always full. I spend many evenings there playing Risk and 1830 through the night with all the uncles and aunts. They made the most amazing Vietnamese lumpias and opened a Vietnamese take out food store. They also gave me work, preparing the spring rolls, which paid for my tv and vcr.

Of course there were some cultural clashes as well, it seems Vietnam relies much more on the community to teach kids values while parents are much more hands off. No clue if that is true but that's how it was in that family. And eventually my friend ended up in an arranged marriage with house paid for by the parents and all.

So, naturally they painted Vietnam in a bit of a negative light, having to flee from there fearing for their lives and all. The rest I know of Vietnam is from the Amazing race lol. I'll be flying over Vietnam in FS2020 in a while and check out more of the country, I'm currently over India. Still a ways to go.

Back on topic. Plans are to ramp up distribution of vaccine doses to 1 million per week, it’s anticipated that 20 million doses will be delivered to Canada between April and June. As much as I'm excited by the positive news, it's also clearly another free for all situation. There is no global plan for distribution, wealthy countries scrambling to secure as many doses possible first. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess, be glad to live in a wealthy country that has the luxury to eff up. If they can reach 1 million per week, that's still 76 weeks to get everyone 2 doses. 53 weeks to reach herd immunity (maybe).

We are still very cautious about the virus but at least everything (bars, sports, stadiums, restaurants, stores, clubs,...) in Vietnam is working normal now. 

The key difference between us and other countries is the others see Covid as a small nuisance virus, while we see Covid as a lethal enemy who is trying to invade us.

About the vaccine, it will be a while to settle down for everyone in the world.

Around the Network

The global death toll passes 2 million:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Can we call the new variant "UK virus"?

UK should really close all of their wet markets.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

UK should really close all of their wet markets.

More like all their pubs and night clubs, but I guess those are wet markets too in a sense.

Around the Network

Looks like restrictions in denmark are starting to show a healthly reduction.

Dec 18th we had a record high 4500 new cases in 1 day.
within a week that number was down to 3k.
Another week and its down to 2k pr day.
Now its been 4 weeks or so, and its down to around 650 new infections yesterday.

Our goverment are going all in though, prolonging restrictions until we re likely down a tiny managable amount.
They do not want the UK variant going out of controll here.

Sadly this also means we re gonna have to live with tough restrictions until sometimem feb. at a minimum.
Hopefully this is the last time.
If we beat this virus down to tiny amounts (so we gain a few months without rapamt spread), hopefully the vaccinations take care of the rest.
And eventually we re free of this issue.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

UK and Southafrican strains are "bad" because 1 is more infectious (55-70% ) (UK version)
and the South African version makes younger people more sick as well (not just the elderly).

The WORST version though, is the new Brazillian mutation.

This one, is so differnt from the regular old covid19 we had last year, that people that "should be immune" because they had covid already, are getting sick again. (this also suggest the current vaccine wont work against this mutaton).  (UK have already done the senseable thing, and shut down all incomeing traffic from south america/brazil, and honesty europe should do the same (the sooner the better))

JRPGfan said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

UK and Southafrican strains are "bad" because 1 is more infectious (55-70% ) (UK version)
and the South African version makes younger people more sick as well (not just the elderly).

The WORST version though, is the new Brazillian mutation.

This one, is so differnt from the regular old covid19 we had last year, that people that "should be immune" because they had covid already, are getting sick again. (this also suggest the current vaccine wont work against this mutaton).  (UK have already done the senseable thing, and shut down all incomeing traffic from south america/brazil, and honesty europe should do the same (the sooner the better))

It's probably already here. These mutations need to infect a sizable number of people before they're "discovered".

If a muation happens and renders all vaccines useless, the only solution left would be a world-wide proper lockdown, you promise people equal money and food and shelter for a month or two, countries that succeed in break free can go back to "normal" earlier than the rest and get to choose when to re-open their borders and how.

Mind you, we don't know know if the current vaccines can prevent spreading of the infections or not in the first place, it's still being studied.

"People who get sick and recover from Covid-19 produce a ton of these more-specialized IgA antibodies. Because IgA antibodies occupy the same respiratory tract surfaces involved in transmitting SARS-CoV-2, we could reasonably expect that people who recover from Covid-19 aren’t spreading the virus any more. (Granted, this may also depend on how much of the virus that person was exposed to.)

But we don’t know if people who have IgG antibodies from the vaccine are stopping the virus in our respiratory tracts in the same way. And even if we did, scientists still don’t know how much of the SARS-CoV-2 virus it takes to cause a new infection. So even if we understood how well a vaccine worked to prevent a virus from replicating along the upper respiratory tract, it’d be extremely difficult to tell if that would mean a person couldn’t transmit the disease."

https://qz.com/1954762/can-you-spread-covid-19-if-you-get-the-vaccine/

Before approving the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, the FDA asked the vaccine manufacturers only whether their products protect people from COVID-19 symptoms. They didn't ask if the vaccines stop people who've been vaccinated from nevertheless spreading the virus to others. The emergency authorizations by the FDA that have allowed distribution of the two new vaccines cite only their ability to keep you — the person vaccinated — from becoming severely sick with COVID-19.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/12/956051995/why-you-should-still-wear-a-mask-and-avoid-crowds-after-getting-the-covid-19-vac

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 15 January 2021

A genuine question:

Which vaccine would you go for, if given the choice?

Have you been reading up about the new vaccines? what have been tested and hasn't? side effects? what was studied and what is stil being studied?

That point is moot here, they've already established that you won't be given a choice in what vaccine you'll get. They might have to do if you're allergic to one or more of them.

It looks like the restrictions are starting to work, compared to 7 days ago, reported cases are down in most places. Reported deaths are still up but should peak next week if this really was the case peak. There's still the chance that last weeks numbers were simply elevated from the holidays, making this week look better than it really is. Couple more hours before this week's numbers are complete.

We're ending the week just shy of 3,000 new cases, 2,998 today. Down from 3,945 record on the 10th, long way to go to get back below 100 a day.

And just after announcing aiming for 1 million doses a week,
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-s-coming-month-of-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-shipments-will-be-reduced-by-half-1.5268222

Hopefully this will be the last big wave, yet if people get too confident, another big wave early fall is not off the table. May-June might see another small wave, but should be fine before the holidays and better weather.