By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

I don't think it's a weak reponse from authorities - heck in the UK 2cm of snow and everyone runs to Tesco for milk and bread like the world is going to end!

On main point - the same site/source that you quoted has the common flu deaths currently in the same period at 87026 deaths with 520 deaths as of today (at time of writing). Yes you could argue that the common Flu has a current high infection rate to low death rate and is 'common'. It is really about Scale/Response/Resources to commit.

Each government/country will have the own threshold of response depending on the outbreak.

[Edit]

Here in the UK for example we have this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

Last edited by Quartz - on 06 March 2020

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:

Yawn. ZZzzzzzz. Nothing here lately but a bunch of personal and anti-Trump attacks. Sad. Nothing related to the Covid-19 outbreak. How sad.

Here some news:

There are already 14 deaths in USA with only 233 cases. That's pretty much the highest death rate on this planet.  It either means that you don't detect most cases in USA or it means that your hospitals don't have what they need to help those who have it.

Meanwhile your President believes there is no country better in handling this than USA and there is a President who still believed the standard flu vaccine should be enough a few days ago.

But hey, just pretend as if Trump is just perfect. At least he loves guns to save the population!

crissindahouse said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Yawn. ZZzzzzzz. Nothing here lately but a bunch of personal and anti-Trump attacks. Sad. Nothing related to the Covid-19 outbreak. How sad.

Here some news:

There are already 14 deaths in USA with only 233 cases. That's pretty much the highest death rate on this planet.  It either means that you don't detect most cases in USA or it means that your hospitals don't have what they need to help those who have it.

Meanwhile your President believes there is no country better in handling this than USA and there is a President who still believed the standard flu vaccine should be enough a few days ago.

But hey, just pretend as if Trump is just perfect. At least he loves guns to save the population!

14 deaths from 233 cases is hardly enough sample size to claim 'Highest death rate on this planet'.

We don't know any information on those individuals for example their health status/age or the circumstances to which they contracted it (possibly from holiday) or any information about healthcare recieved.

Quartz said:
crissindahouse said:

Here some news:

14 deaths from 233 cases is hardly enough sample size to claim 'Highest death rate on this planet'.

We don't know any information on those individuals for example their health status/age or the circumstances to which they contracted it (possibly from holiday) or any information about healthcare recieved.

That's why the real rumber of infected is probably much higher and that USA doesn't have a higher death rate. Sure, could be a bad coincidence that the average infected in USA is much older on average or has worse pre-conditions but the more likely scenario is simply what is already known since a while: not enough tests in USA when it began

Trump just tried to talk it down more than once but even he won't do that much longer because he can't. He will switch to something else after his mistakes to once again present himself as the best for everything to let people forget how stupid he was the last months. I guess it will switch to "nobody invests as much money as us to fight it" or something like that. 

He will never admit that he should have taken it more seriously instead of talking it down as something not so dangerous and something democrats just use against him.

crissindahouse said:
Quartz said:

That's why the real rumber of infected is probably much higher and that USA doesn't have a higher death rate. Sure, could be a bad coincidence that the average infected in USA is much older on average or has worse pre-conditions but the more likely scenario is simply what is already known since a while: not enough tests in USA when it began

Trump just tried to talk it down more than once but even he won't do that much longer because he can't. He will switch to something else after his mistakes to once again present himself as the best for everything to let people forget how stupid he was the last months. I guess it will switch to "nobody invests as much money as us to fight it" or something like that. 

He will never admit that he should have taken it more seriously instead of talking it down as something not so dangerous and something democrats just use against him.

Not sure what the political landscape is with regards to Trump and what action he is taking. I could look at news reports, but most of them just run with a narrative to grab peoples attention to get clicks,subscriptions and then copy each other all over the internet. It's very rare these days to see a full video response without it being edited to suit a political narrative or bash a party rather than the main point/issue in question being in this case the virus.

I doubt the real number would be much higher in the US, it's possible that there could be people dead in a trailer park somewhere who don't have much contact with each other, but that would be pure speculation. I would find it hard to believe that death reporting in the USA being inaccurate/lack of testing.

Sure those cases could be just written off as seasonal flu cases. 

Around the Network

I think it's pretty safe to say that the infection is much more widespread in the US than the official confirmed reports suggest. Which, tbh, is probably the case in most countries, but it would appear that testing is lagging behind particularly in the states. I've seen several stories lamenting the ridiculous requirements to even qualify you for testing (must have been out of the country in the last 14 days, and/or had contact with someone who was already tested positive), which I would assume are either a result of not having enough testing kits to go around, or the people at the top over there are just plain stupid and have never heard of exponential growth patterns.

SpokenTruth said:
Quartz said:

Not sure what the political landscape is with regards to Trump and what action he is taking. I could look at news reports, but most of them just run with a narrative to grab peoples attention to get clicks,subscriptions and then copy each other all over the internet. It's very rare these days to see a full video response without it being edited to suit a political narrative or bash a party rather than the main point/issue in question being in this case the virus.

The fact he appointed Pence to lead a scientific based task force should be the first clue that he's not taking it seriously. 

Then you have the fact that they denied audio and video recording of the recent 'press briefing'.
Then you have the fact that Trump literally asked expert immunologists and virologists why don't we just used the normal flu vaccine.
Then you have the fact that Trump suggested people infected will just go to work and get better anyway which is completely against the advice of the CDC.
Then you have the fact that Trump claims the death rate is actually lower based on....his own hunch.
Then you have the fact that Trump juxtapositions the coronavirus with "hoax" at his rallies.

When the media has to deal with this and the realities of the virus itself, it's almost impossible to frame a story on just the virus without having to also correct the president.

I have sat and watched this video with regards to some of his actions that he is taking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zII4lRAEJrA&t=195s From NBC news.

There are so many videos it's crazy (as expected it's the internet). 

Do you have sources for these facts? I could google all day and get contradictory information.

[Edit]

Yeah he does seem to have a passive approach about it just from watching this one Live Stream. But then again once the scale ramps up I'm pretty sure the reaction will also.

I live in the UK and have no real interest in US politics, but I AM interested in legitimate sources with regards to the virus and actions that are being taken.

Angelus said:
I think it's pretty safe to say that the infection is much more widespread in the US than the official confirmed reports suggest. Which, tbh, is probably the case in most countries, but it would appear that testing is lagging behind particularly in the states. I've seen several stories lamenting the ridiculous requirements to even qualify you for testing (must have been out of the country in the last 14 days, and/or had contact with someone who was already tested positive), which I would assume are either a result of not having enough testing kits to go around, or the people at the top over there are just plain stupid and have never heard of exponential growth patterns.

Yup. The US has the highest death rate in the world by far. Higher even than Wuhan, were apparently a more virulent strain of the virus was common until late January.

Italy also has a rather high, almost Wuhan-ish death rate, but tested less than a quarter of the number of people tested in South Korea, by comparison, and both outbreaks are believed to have begun around the same time frame.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 06 March 2020

Current CDC information with regard to all this:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html
These are reported cases. [Edit] US information.

Quartz said:

Current CDC information with regard to all this:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html
These are reported cases. [Edit] US information.

Love this so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQfaSJ3cSIs