By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Torillian said:
Barozi said:

The numbers above only show the membership fee.

The vast majority of the budget comes from voluntary donations.

I see, so there's a better idea of it here:

https://apps.npr.org/dailygraphics/graphics/who-top-contrib-20200415/

which shows that China hasn't done any notable amount of voluntary contributions. 

Ah, thank you for finding and posting that.  It paints a much clearer picture of the disparity.  

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Nautilus said:

Of course it will get worse.That's why I have been saying from the beginning that the virus would be the least of our worries and all those measures being taken are too extreme.

Not to get back into this shit but there is no other option, you let the virus through and we get all this shit up front and with no time to prepare. Thank God those who said the virus won't be the most damaging aspect get to say I told you so, it means we are still here and we still have infrastructure. It's how we navigate the tightrope that we have no other choice but to walk and this is not navigating it well at all, we're wobbling way too soon while we've got months to years left to walk. I don't think we'll make it into next spring without severe human loss and suffering right up to the doorsteps of the 1%, this is the one that'll shave us down by a few billion over the next few years but thank God people still get to say I told you so cause right now we'd be entering into hell as the bodies pile up, essential work force gets clipped all at once, supply lines get cut with preparation and the masses go nuts all once.

Thank God, we just got some panic buying, lines for food banks and a bit of rioting in the third world. Believe it or not, the only reason we are still standing and have the mess in front of us still is because we locked down, that initial wash through would have been the end of the world had everyone stayed ignorant even if the models were 800% higher than reality. I can't understand the STILL people can't see that, after the virus got out of control globally, there is and was only one reality of this situation and we can either extend it and draw it out slowly or brace and let it have happened all at once and let society just fall apart within a few weeks of confusion. Watch the hand to mouth countries over the next month and that is what the west would have been but because we are so much more dependent we'd have been so much worse, like the opening of a zombie film, without the zombies. 

And thats exactly why people are acting the way they are.I get why you feel this way, but Im just giving you my honest answer.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JRPGfan said:

Lets pretend the US stops paying their part.... and as a result, the outbreak controll becomes so bad, another virus breaks out into a pandemic.

Why pretend?

You can download the full AC_Status_Report_2020 from the WHO website (the numbers are not secret). You will notice that the USA has not paid the 2020 dues and has not paid yet half its 2019 dues...

drkohler said:
JRPGfan said:

Lets pretend the US stops paying their part.... and as a result, the outbreak controll becomes so bad, another virus breaks out into a pandemic.

Why pretend?

You can download the full AC_Status_Report_2020 from the WHO website (the numbers are not secret). You will notice that the USA has not paid the 2020 dues and has not paid yet half its 2019 dues...

When a "hypothetical" stops being fun....  That said, not the US fault, theres a pandemic.
I wish China had handled things differntly and it didnt spread out of there.

JRPGfan said:
drkohler said:

Why pretend?

When a "hypothetical" stops being fun....  That said, not the US fault, theres a pandemic.

Apart from the early downplaying and suppressing information (when it was still unknown where this new disease came from and what it was capable of) what could China have done to stop it spreading out of the area? They locked down Wuhan much tighter than we in the West can. People dragged off the street and literally locked into quarantine separated from their families. Humans always find a way to get out.

I'm genuinely curious what could have been done? Here in the west we completely failed to stop it from spreading with plenty warning and all the knowledge of what happened in Wuhan.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

Apart from the early downplaying and suppressing information (when it was still unknown where this new disease came from and what it was capable of) what could China have done to stop it spreading out of the area? They locked down Wuhan much tighter than we in the West can. People dragged off the street and literally locked into quarantine separated from their families. Humans always find a way to get out.

I'm genuinely curious what could have been done? Here in the west we completely failed to stop it from spreading with plenty warning and all the knowledge of what happened in Wuhan.

Good point. People love to harp on China, but the question remains. If it was so easy for China to stop the outbreak, how come no other country has managed it with plenty forewarning?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I am proud to finally show you the result of this intensive and long work of research (since March 04th.)
I will update it one more time, with 5-6 more maps, then I stop, at the end it is losing its meaning because of the disparity of tests made in countries getting larger and larger by the time. It is a visual work, it doesn't pretend to provide exploitable data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdWG5Elc_zo&lc=UgyDRDE-htNV-ikyJtl4AaABAg

Disappointing to see the resurgence of infections recently.

Amnesia said:
I am proud to finally show you the result of this intensive and long work of research (since March 04th.)
I will update it one more time, with 5-6 more maps, then I stop, at the end it is losing its meaning because of the disparity of tests made in countries getting larger and larger by the time. It is a visual work, it doesn't pretend to provide exploitable data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdWG5Elc_zo&lc=UgyDRDE-htNV-ikyJtl4AaABAg

Very nicely done!

Signature goes here!

Barozi said:
Disappointing to see the resurgence of infections recently.

It's not a resurgence, it's compensating for the lower amount of testing done during the long Easter Weekend. A lot of countries publish results gathered on the previous day, which are lab results of tests taken one or more days earlier. The long weekend still has an effect on numbers until the end of this week, which is currently a trend upwards since all those missed cases are still there.

Here I plotted the average daily growth factor for 4 countries with data up to yesterday (graph ends at Easter Monday)

That's how the number of reported cases changes based on the weekends. Above 1.0 means the average daily reported cases are increasing day by day, below one means they are decreasing. Italy did have a bit of a resurgence last week, yet the 4 day Easter weekend has pushed everything down longer than normally happens in the weekend.

(I shifted Italy one day in the past since they report numbers from the day before, the numbers Italy posted today are already included in the graph, while USA, Spain and Germany are measured up to yesterday)

Overall the trend is downward, but it will take another week to make accurate predictions again thanks to the Easter slump.