By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
vivster said:

Don't worry, it would be my 3rd visit and I have already planned trips there for the next 3 years.

Oh okay. Good to know. I've never been. Though I did spend 6 months in the UK. For an American it was interesting seeing a culture so similar and yet so different. 

Well, I knew Japan is the best country long before I went there and when I first visited 2 years ago it just confirmed that fact. Now it's a yearly tradition and if all goes well I'll be living there some day.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Trump is live currently, and doing a Coronavirus Task Force hold press briefing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYA0EQS1bc

He says he asked his advisers, what would happend if they did nothing?
Didnt do shutdowns and isolations ect...

He was told 2,2m people in the US would die.

Wow....

So he's feeling good about shuting down even if it hurts the economy.
Saying that if they manage to keep this down to 100k-200k, he would consider that a victory.

SvennoJ said:

I think you're confusing mitigation with flattening the curve. to flatten it enough so the health care system can cope would mean to drawn it out over a decade or more.
https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

The hammer and dance is what we're looking at as the best strategy: (but called flattening the curve by the media, better soundbite)
https://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/255968-analysis-beating-coronavirus-covid-19-hammer-and-dance

Currently we're in the suppression phase to get the spread under control. Then it becomes a matter of managing it until widespread vaccines are available. It is not the goal to flatten the curve so it can spread through the entire population while the healthcare system tries to keep up. That would take far too long. The goal is to minimize infections and work out a balance between getting on with life while keeping the virus under our thumb until a vaccine can end it.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

A vaccine will take between 9 and 18 months, depending on success and red tape obstacles. There is also promising research in anti bodies that can fight this virus, however while that can be ready much sooner, it will also be a lot more costly to produce than a vaccine. Thus it's still necessary to keep the nr of infected low.

The same number will be infected in both scenarios
Absolutely not. If that happens we will have failed completely.

Thank you for the articles. I did read them, however, they're not bullet proof, and they don't mirror what's happening on the grounds, and in many cases they contradict each other as well. Not dismissing all of them, but I scratched my head many times reading them.

The Medium article, for example, talks about fatality rate and those who will become critically ill rate and uses the most extreme of the reported numbers, when you and I agreed earlier that the reported number of cases and most numbers surrounding covid19 are inaccurate because the confirmed number of cases remains unknown, the author also says that the critically ill covid19 patients need 4 weeks of assisted ventilation? when the most generous of numbers regarding that hovered around 1 week, and 4 days on average. And then you read further the author admits that:

"My curves are not correct! My back-of-the-envelope calculation is not a proper simulation, or a good model of what’s going on either. Don’t cite it as such!"

and then he goes to say that the point he is trying to make has nothing to do with the numbers he used? and that China has successfully eradicated the virus? according to whom? according to China? who is barring of the CDC and just kicked out reporters from the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post and censoring the hell out of the story. 

As for the Rappler article, it's 2 days old, but that's a lot of time when it comes to covid19. it starts by including Japan as a success story and how it managed to avoid lock down but now Tokyo is about to declare national emergency and start a lock-down, this is me just being nit picky though. The more questionable bits of the article starts with "If you hammer the coronavirus, within a few weeks you’ve controlled it and you’re in much better shape to address it" and that "The time needed for the hammer is weeks, not months." But then the author goes on to use Wahun success story as evidence to back up his numbers, but we all know that Wahun was locked down for two months... and it wasn't the European style kind of lockdown, and this goes back to what I said earlier. Everyone is on lock-down but each country's approach is different, and not co-ordinated, and isn't happening simultaneously, and that is of course, if we assume China is telling the truth. Still an interesting article to read, but it places too much faith on how theoretically all of those ideas will translate perfectly into reality, and I have already talked about why the lack of international standardized approach to the problem and how 2 months (or 8 weeks) is "too long of a period of time for most of the globe. 

Again, not dismissing the importance of keeping the infectivity rate as low as possible, just questioning how that can happen without wrecking the economy especially that we haven't seen a single international simultaneous step being taken and everyone reacting unilaterally.

JRPGfan said:

Trump is live currently, and doing a Coronavirus Task Force hold press briefing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYA0EQS1bc

He says he asked his advisers, what would happend if they did nothing?
Didnt do shutdowns and isolations ect...

He was told 2,2m people in the US would die.

Wow....

So he's feeling good about shuting down even if it hurts the economy.
Saying that if they manage to keep this down to 100k-200k, he would consider that a victory.

Trump really has no balls.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:

^ italy officals admit, that they only counted at hospitals, anyone who died at home/nurseing homes, wherent included.

Same thing basically played out everywhere, spain, franch, even the UK.
Actual deaths caused by this are much higher than the reported numbers, basically everywhere.

Same in China. The death toll never went up when they started clearing out the sealed off apartments in Wuhan.

It's all very fishy
https://time.com/5811222/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll/

But on the other side, there are estimates that there could be as many as 8x more asymptomatic cases in Lombardy than those detected there.

We won't know until this whole thing plays out :/

Around the Network

Trump is doing good at this press briefing, imo.

Also 894,000 tests done in the US soon.
Their now able to do it in less than 15mins.
Self swapping tests, that arnt as unplesent, and dont require medical aid that change PPE.

*edit:
I actually think Trump saying some of these journalists are wronging him, is right (atleast doing this press briefing).
List last CNN one is acting like a duche-bag, with his questions.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 29 March 2020

John2290 said:
The US is so lucky they didn't take the tests from China or perhaps pretty forward and tactfully thinking. My Goverment paid 230m for PPE coming from China, I don't feel good about it nor do I feel good about companies in my country who make ventilators selling the vast majority if their 400 daily units to the US.

Netherlands recalls defective masks imported from China Spain and Turkey also complain of defective rapid testing kits ordered from Chinese companies.

Dutch officials have recalled tens of thousands of masks imported from China and distributed to hospitals battling the coronavirus outbreak because they do not meet quality standards. They received a delivery of masks from a Chinese manufacturer on March 21, the health ministry said in a statement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/netherlands-recalls-defective-masks-imported-china-200329141715106.html

I hope Boris backs off that stupid Huawei 5G deal. 

John2290 said:
The US is so lucky they didn't take the tests from China or perhaps pretty forward and tactfully thinking. My Goverment paid 230m for PPE coming from China, I don't feel good about it nor do I feel good about companies in my country who make ventilators selling the vast majority if their 400 daily units to the US.

Were those the ones that were ~30% accurate? or something silly like that?

Spain sent theirs back right?

Ontop of that, china also sent out masks that didn't work either.

Germany has very accurate, cheap, mass produced testing.

Its a really sucky thing to do, send out faulty equipment, when your trying to track spread and stop chains of infections.

LurkerJ said:
SvennoJ said:

I think you're confusing mitigation with flattening the curve. to flatten it enough so the health care system can cope would mean to drawn it out over a decade or more.
https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

The hammer and dance is what we're looking at as the best strategy: (but called flattening the curve by the media, better soundbite)
https://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/255968-analysis-beating-coronavirus-covid-19-hammer-and-dance

Currently we're in the suppression phase to get the spread under control. Then it becomes a matter of managing it until widespread vaccines are available. It is not the goal to flatten the curve so it can spread through the entire population while the healthcare system tries to keep up. That would take far too long. The goal is to minimize infections and work out a balance between getting on with life while keeping the virus under our thumb until a vaccine can end it.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

A vaccine will take between 9 and 18 months, depending on success and red tape obstacles. There is also promising research in anti bodies that can fight this virus, however while that can be ready much sooner, it will also be a lot more costly to produce than a vaccine. Thus it's still necessary to keep the nr of infected low.

The same number will be infected in both scenarios
Absolutely not. If that happens we will have failed completely.

Thank you for the articles. I did read them, however, they're not bullet proof, and they don't mirror what's happening on the grounds, and in many cases they contradict each other as well. Not dismissing all of them, but I scratched my head many times reading them.

The Medium article, for example, talks about fatality rate and those who will become critically ill rate and uses the most extreme of the reported numbers, when you and I agreed earlier that the reported number of cases and most numbers surrounding covid19 are inaccurate because the confirmed number of cases remains unknown, the author also says that the critically ill covid19 patients need 4 weeks of assisted ventilation? when the most generous of numbers regarding that hovered around 1 week, and 4 days on average. And then you read further the author admits that:

"My curves are not correct! My back-of-the-envelope calculation is not a proper simulation, or a good model of what’s going on either. Don’t cite it as such!"

and then he goes to say that the point he is trying to make has nothing to do with the numbers he used? and that China has successfully eradicated the virus? according to whom? according to China? who is barring of the CDC and just kicked out reporters from the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post and censoring the hell out of the story. 

As for the Rappler article, it's 2 days old, but that's a lot of time when it comes to covid19. it starts by including Japan as a success story and how it managed to avoid lock down but now Tokyo is about to declare national emergency and start a lock-down, this is me just being nit picky though. The more questionable bits of the article starts with "If you hammer the coronavirus, within a few weeks you’ve controlled it and you’re in much better shape to address it" and that "The time needed for the hammer is weeks, not months." But then the author goes on to use Wahun success story as evidence to back up his numbers, but we all know that Wahun was locked down for two months... and it wasn't the European style kind of lockdown, and this goes back to what I said earlier. Everyone is on lock-down but each country's approach is different, and not co-ordinated, and isn't happening simultaneously, and that is of course, if we assume China is telling the truth. Still an interesting article to read, but it places too much faith on how theoretically all of those ideas will translate perfectly into reality, and I have already talked about why the lack of international standardized approach to the problem and how 2 months (or 8 weeks) is "too long of a period of time for most of the globe. 

Again, not dismissing the importance of keeping the infectivity rate as low as possible, just questioning how that can happen without wrecking the economy especially that we haven't seen a single international simultaneous step being taken and everyone reacting unilaterally.

Yes those 2 articles simplify things a lot. However an earlier study by the imperial college looked at the most efficient mitigation strategy to flatten the curve for the UK which involved quarantining everyone over 70 as the main strategy and came to the conclusion that still 8x as many hospital beds (in total while most are already occupied) would be needed at the top of the flattened curve.

They published a new study looking at more countries saying the same thing.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Global-Impact-26-03-2020.pdf

I just started reading it but here's an excerpt from the summary:

We estimate that in the absence of interventions, COVID-19 would have resulted in 7.0 billion infections and 40 million deaths globally this year. Mitigation strategies focussing on shielding the elderly (60% reduction in social contacts) and slowing but not interrupting transmission (40% reduction in social contacts for wider population) could reduce this burden by half, saving 20 million lives, but we predict that even in this scenario, health systems in all countries will be quickly overwhelmed.

This effect is likely to be most severe in lower income settings where capacity is lowest: our mitigated scenarios lead to peak demand for critical care beds in a typical low-income setting outstripping supply by a factor of 25, in contrast to a typical high-income setting where this factor is 7. As a result, we anticipate that the true burden in low income settings pursuing mitigation strategies could be substantially higher than reflected in these estimates.

Our analysis therefore suggests that healthcare demand can only be kept within manageable levels through the rapid adoption of public health measures (including testing and isolation of cases and wider social distancing measures) to suppress transmission, similar to those being adopted in many countries at the current time. If a suppression strategy is implemented early(at 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population per week)and sustained, then 38.7 million lives could be saved whilst if it is initiated when death numbers are higher (1.6deaths per 100,000 population per week) then 30.7 million lives could be saved. Delays in implementing strategies to suppress transmission will lead to worse outcomes and fewer lives saved

Btw atm South Korea is an example of success. They were up to detecting nearly 700 new cases daily and have managed to get it down to averaging around 100 new cases daily since March 13th.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 29 March 2020

John2290 said:
The US is so lucky they didn't take the tests from China or perhaps pretty forward and tactfully thinking.

Huh? Afaik the US-CDC refused the WHO test, which was developed in Germany, and made their own, which initially had huge problems as their primers bound to themselves (= positive result with water). That crucially handicapped their testing capabilities at the start of the pandemic.