By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragonball Z: Kakarot opinions. Cac or not?

I...

Love Kakarot. 1 12.50%

Like Kakarot. 1 12.50%

Dislike Kakarot. 0 0%

Hate Kakarot. 0 0%

Havn't played Kakarot. 5 62.50%

Other, comments, Middle Yankie land. 1 12.50%

Total:8

Do you not like Metroidvanias? Hyper Light Drifter was a great Metroidvania game.

I haven't played Kakarot, but will play it if it comes to Gamepass or goes on sale for $30 or less. It looks like a pretty paint by numbers action RPG though. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 23 January 2020

Around the Network

As a huge DBZ fan, I had high hopes for this game. Finally, a decent effort DBZ RPG. But the more I play it, one word comes to mind...shallow. Also, quite repetitive. The Dragon Ball Saga is an enticing one, but as I played through it I couldn't help but say "I already know this is going to happen" and skip through it. There is little of substance to detract from the main story. Super boring fetch quests, no meaningful exploration...it is just a let down.

The game is not awful by any means. It's a good DBZ game and a okay game overall in my opinion. I don't care too much for the combat. It eventually boils down to wait until you charge your meter and beat the living crap out of your enemy, and spam your best moves because there's no penalty for using Ki. In a few seconds you're back to full.

Visually, it looks gorgeous at times and others it looks like Budokai 3. I do appreciate some of the attempts made to break the monotony up, but most times those efforts come up really short. The Z Orbs are like guidelines they're making you follow when instead I'd rather just be able to explore the world without guides. The villages, while novel at first, end up being nothing more than dry areas where you can buy and sell items.

One of the main things I like in Kakarot is the Community Board and Soul Emblems. They add a bit more depth to the gameplay which is already quite mundane.

I could go on and on about this game but overall, it was a solid effort. This is a step in the right direction for Dragon Ball, but I hope in the future they try something like this but with the care that Monolith Soft put into Attack of the Saiyans or try to add in quirky stories that the Legacy of Goku games had. Legacy of Goku 2 and Buus fury weren't anyting special, but it was the presentation, amount of quirky stories along with the main story that made them shine a bit more for me. I don't recommend this at full price. It's worth $30, not $60 in my opinion.

Just like every other DBZ game I'll wait a few months for it to drop to $20-$30 then buy it.

I couldn't buy it this month, but I wasn't exactly fond of the price either. Going by reviews, you don't exactly have to grind epr say, but I am seeing some reviews making note of the orb collecting becoming a bit of a stale habit.

I'll likely pick it up when it reaches a lower price throughout the year. As much as I love Drragonball (probably my top fave with Evangelion in second), I'm not really in a rush to buy it just yet. That being said, it seems people are already modding it on PC, so that'll be cool for me to tinker around with once I get around to buying it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Get out of my face!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Do you not like Metroidvanias? Hyper Light Drifter was a great Metroidvania game.

I haven't played Kakarot, but will play it if it comes to Gamepass or goes on sale for $30 or less. It looks like a pretty paint by numbers action RPG though. 

I love metroidvanias but I played HLD for two hours or so and it just didn't gel at its core, the feel of it isn't tight or punchy and rather loose with no impacton feedback. Not the least of its problems, the awful presentation without text or exposition. That whole thing could work in a game with was more detailed artistically but not here, it's just an annoyance rather than a cool aspect. The healing system is shite and way to forgiving along with the one hit point taken for dying from a fall. Might as well have regen by default if that it the system you're goung with or allow for the hard mode from the start. The whole experience is summed up by the mechanic of holding triangle for three seconds to pick items up after breaking them out of a box. Utterly pointless

I was sold on it being a Zelda clone but cqme away feeling as if I'd played some 2 euro mobile game. 

I'm not sure what you mean by tight or punchy. The whole story of the game is pretty simple, and should just be ignored. Fretting over the story in this game is like fretting over the story in the OG Super Mario Bros. The game does have a huge issue with tutorialitis. The first few levels are just too easy. But it does ramp up steadily from there. The healing system might feel forgiving now, but wait until you are fighting some of the insane boss fights this game throws your way. Give it another try. At least until you beat the North area boss. I call him Bird-Asshole-Jesus. 

Didn't realize it was out so soon. I'll buy it as soon as I finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I have a loooong way to go, though.

John2290 said:
kirby007 said:
Get out of my face!

Huh?

its pretty much the only line from vegeta

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

What's Cac?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?