By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - TemTem, New Pokemon Killer?

Will this influence Pokemon in any way?

Nope, this is not even go... 31 72.09%

Maybe, if Sony or Microso... 1 2.33%

Yes, this is a threat to ... 10 23.26%

Other 1 2.33%

Total:43

I'm sure it'll do well, but I don't see it killing Pokemon.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Green098 said:

Trying to kill Pokemon is a bigger of an attempt as to trying to kill Mario, Micky Mouse or Marvel. A cheap indie knock off ain't gonna do it, I mean just look at what happened to Yo-kai watch and it at least had the backing of the necessary media such as apps, TV shows, Movies and merchandise. Temtem doesn't have a hope of making a fraction of the $1.46 billion Pokemon makes from it's manga sales never mind the franchise as a whole.

I like the Yo-kai games.
Imo its a better series than Pokemon is. I dont get all the hype and appeal of pokemon.

You made it sound like Yo-kai watch was a failur commerically, and it probably isn't.
(though its clearly far off from selling as much as pokemon, this just tells me alot of people out there have bad taste :P)

That said yeah, temtem isnt the game that kills pokemon.
At this point, theres like a crazed cult following that ll buy any and every pokemon game, reguardless of its quality.
Even if a better game comes out, that plays like pokemon, it wont outsell pokemon, because no one will be willing to try something else.

its like the "apple" effect.
People are too used to apple, and wont change, even if theres better phones or OS's, because their set in their ways.
Its also a status thingy, so their willing to overpay for it. Its like a cult following.

Well Yo-kai Watch wasn't a failure 6 years ago in the 3DS era (well in Japan) but it did what everyone said Pokemon would be and became a fad. You can't deny the Yo-kai Watch franchise isn't a hollow shell of what it once was. The Switch version did a few hundred thousand and the PS4 version didn't chart.

But the point still remains that Yo-Kai Watch never would of gained so much popularity in Japan to seriously rival/near overtake Pokemon's popularity in it's prime there all those years ago without the heavy merchandising, Anime, Movies etc. Pokemon isn't simply just Pokemon Sword and Shield, it's the highest grossing media franchise in the world.

You clearly made this thread in bad faith and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

pokemon need a competition so bad....

the quality is just not there... it taste stale for the old players... i dunno how young crowd feel about it.... but it feels like pokemon is not a strong market to the younger generation?

aikohualda said:

the quality is just not there... it taste stale for the old players... i dunno how young crowd feel about it.... but it feels like pokemon is not a strong market to the younger generation?

While competition can encourage one to improve, it isn't necessary. That Pokemon is where it's at now is entirely on them. Plus even if Tem Tem did get as big as Pokemon, as long as Pokemon remains big they still have no reason to change.

Sw/Sh is selling as great as any Pokemon game, doubtless kids make up a big chunk of players. I think they and their parents care more about brand recognition than the quality/value of the product.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
aikohualda said:

While competition can encourage one to improve, it isn't necessary. That Pokemon is where it's at now is entirely on them. Plus even if Tem Tem did get as big as Pokemon, as long as Pokemon remains big they still have no reason to change.

Sw/Sh is selling as great as any Pokemon game, doubtless kids make up a big chunk of players. I think they and their parents care more about brand recognition than the quality/value of the product.

no doubt Sw/Sh is selling well but i doubt kids is a bigger chunk of it compare to let say gen 3.  Most of the people i know including my self who bought Sw/Sh are on their 20s or 30s... my friend's kids however dont care about pokemon other than the tv show and cards... but yeah i hope GF would get it together and i still would want a competition for it.  

aikohualda said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

no doubt Sw/Sh is selling well but i doubt kids is a bigger chunk of it compare to let say gen 3.  Most of the people i know including my self who bought Sw/Sh are on their 20s or 30s... my friend's kids however dont care about pokemon other than the tv show and cards... but yeah i hope GF would get it together and i still would want a competition for it.  

Possible, no way to know for sure, but I don't think they care too much about the age of their players as long as they paying all the same. I hope as well that they improve despite reality pointing the opposite way. It's not the worst thing if they never do though, plenty of great consumer friendly games out there that can be played instead. Tem Tem here appears to be one of them, though I'll wait until the game is finished.

The competition of Creature Collecting games is increasing, we got Nexomon , Coromon, Disc Creatures, Cassette Beast and yes Temtem which i do plan on getting at some point. To Be Honest i still play Pokemon regardless of the new creature collecting games.

Hopefully this will drive Nintendo to focus on making Pokemon great again.

Also the "Killer" term never works, i don't know of one game that carried that "Killer" label and succeeded in doing so.

Hahahaha no