By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Alienware, promoting their Switch clone, tweets, "Switch is cool but... the limited number of games on it isn't"

SpokenTruth said:
The price for Switch isn't cool....but the unknown price for Alienware Concept UFO is? And 2,000+ games is considered limited?

Dell, go home. You're drunk.

Post does look drunk.  Whats up with those special characters.  Is that what cool kids do these days in stupid tweets?  --c&V☼τ"ÿ═âmm@û♪

Around the Network

With Sony going to PC, does that make this the new PSP by default?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Well it will be interesting to see their cheap console with unlimited games then...

OdinHades said:
Spindel said:
Can it run Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon?

[...]

Yes, it can! At least emulated it should run anything up to the Wii games. =P

And it doesn't matter how many games the switch has, the catalogue on PC will dwarf any console that is out there.

That said, it won't run switch games, so yeah, I'll still hang on to my switch for that. It's a nice little concept though and there is already a switch emulator available, although most games run like shit right now. Let's just say both devices have their benefits.

*cough* yuzu emulator *cough*

Now, more on topic, it's very obvious that there are a lot more games on PC than on any console, past or present. That said, there's a very big differnce between having access to a lot more games and being able to actually play those games, something this thing won't be able to do because it won't have a powerful enough SoC due to heat and power restrictions.

All in all, this is nothing more than another "Sega does what Nintendon't" slogan that doesn't mean anything.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

This Alienware thing will not be successful and in a year nobody will ever talk about it ever again.

Around the Network

I feel this "console" will get more coverage for copying Switch, rather than competing with it.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

This reply...

"You sold me a $300 computer labeled as a gaming PC with an i3 processor in 2016

I didn't know enough about specs back then to realize a bad deal when I saw it but the computer stuttered playing minecraft on low settings
And you're calling the Switch's price point bad?"

This is why companies avoid such tweets when promoting their own platforms.

well this is true, compared to a pc every library is childs play. but this thing is huge and will be more expensive than a switch. I think it runs on a intel gpu, so it will be too underpowered after some short time.

A GPD Win 2 with 8 GB RAM and 1280x720p display still costs €740 + shipping + import taxes:

https://www.dragonbox.de/de/handhelds/handhelds-mit-windows/gpd-win-2-windows-10-intel-core-m3-8100y-256gb

A Smach Z with 8 GB RAM will cost €899 + shipping + import taxes... if it ever launches:

https://www.smachz.com/shop/

And please don't fall in the trap buying the cheaper 4 GB Smach Z for €699, if you want to play f.e. The Witcher 3, Doom or Wolfenstein 2 in better settings than on a cheap Switch or Switch Lite. 4 GB doesn't cut it for PC games anymore!

By the way, the Smach Z prototype "The Phawx" tested last year on YouTube had 32 GB RAM, so we don't even know, if even 8 GB RAM will be enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QclbkG1WnQ&list=PLdC3pP79J-A-XUcDBq_Xv9G26WIQeRooK

The UFO concept with its 8'' FullHD display and an Intel 10th generation Core processor looks more advanced (and more expensive) than the GPD Win 2 and the Smach Z, also Alienware branded hardware ain't cheap... so I expect at least a price of $/€999:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15348/ces-2020-alienware-showcases-concept-ufo-8-handheld-gaming

Also probably a Switch Pro will be released before the UFO, reducing the hardware performance gap.

And for €700 - €800 price difference to the Switch / Switch lite I can buy a lot of Switch games. The non-exclusives on Switch also aren't that expensive and fall faster in price than Nintendo's first-party-games: https://www.base.com/buy/product/wolfenstein-youngblood-deluxe-edition-code-in-box-nintendo-switch/dgc-wolfyglns.htm?1=1&awc=2694_1579356311_ad357e8087f2276c7a7765ab782873f3

And if you wait for good offers several times per year, you also get Switch games for a decent price (pay 2 get 3; 3 Switch games for € xx, 5 Switch games for € xx...)

Last April I bought Diablo 3, Xenoblade 2, Let's Go, Ebola!, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Lego City Undercover for a total of €100... so only €20 per game.

Last edited by Conina - on 18 January 2020

Pretty sure Nintendo patented their Joycons, and dock. This is too much of a rip off to not get sued.

Also, this thing will cost $800 or more. Nobody is going to spend that much on a portable PC. The Smach Z can run Witcher 3 at 40 FPS 720p, and costs $664 dollars.
Concept UFO is likely even beefier than that, so it'll cost even more. That's why I'm saying Concept will cost $800 or more. Than you have to add storage to it since it has no physical media. PC games take up a ton of HDD space. Switch's use of carts and compression is a lifesaver when it comes to a storage solution. Anyway add another $100 to the price tag unless you want to constantly download and delete games from your full HDD.