By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the switch outsell the ps4?

When will the switch outsell the ps4?

Second half of 2022 33 11.54%

First half of 2023 24 8.39%

Second half of 2023 35 12.24%

First half of 2024 15 5.24%

Second half of 2024 16 5.59%

First half of 2025 7 2.45%

Second half of 2025 5 1.75%

Later than above 2 0.70%

Never 149 52.10%

Total:286

I can't get enough of these "I've been around for 1000 years, I'm better than you and I can see the future" kind of people. They are an infinite source of fun and laughter xD

Around the Network
padib said:
DonFerrari said:

Just this year PS4 shall do about 10M, and following a slower drop than PS3 (because it is less expensive and had lower extra years) after PS4 release it shall do like another 6M in 2021 and 5M or so in the remaining years. Most projections/regression methods would put PS4 at 130M.

Switch is nearing its peak and no Nintendo system have sustained much after that to ensure more than doubling the sales.

Yes, for PS4, you're right. My prediction is one year late. 

@DonFerrari Okay, I corrected my mistake.

Switch

Current sales: 50.5m
YoY Feb 2021: 17m (67.5m)
YoY Feb 2022: 18m (75.5m)
YoY Feb 2023: 18m (93.5m)
YoY Feb 2024: 15m (108.5m)
YoY Feb 2025: 13m (121.5m)
YoY Feb 2026: 10m (131.5m)

The PS4 is selling 10.8m per year right in 2020, in 2019 it was selling ~18m last year. I see this trend for PS4

YoY Feb 2021: 10.8m (117.8m)
YoY Feb 2021: 6m (123.8m)
YoY Feb 2022: 4m (127.8m)
YoY Feb 2023: 2m (129.8m)
YoY Feb 2024: 1m (130.8m)
YoY Feb 2025: 0.5m (131.3m)
YoY Feb 2026: 0.25m (131.5m)

In my opinion the Switch will outsell the PS4 during the 2025 holidays.

I really don't see Switch having this double peak and for such a long time and then such a slow drop. But well we can only be sure when several years pass.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

victor83fernandes said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm willing to bet you a year of avatar control that the PS4 will never reach 150 million units sold. The PS4 is on a downward curve and it's not going to have the kind of post successor sales that the PS2 had.

What can I do with an Avatar? Im 36 yo, I don't play with avatars or themes, or pokemons or selfies all these modern nonsense.

The ps4 is above the ps2 in sales, years aligned, so I don't know why it would not hit 150 million. The market of people who cant afford more than 150dollars for a console and 5-10 dollars per game is huge, specially PC people who usually pirate but would not mind a cheap way of playing all the ps4 exclusives.

The ps4 is also a cheap bluray player, just like the ps2 was a cheap DVD player, the ps4 is already at over 107 million, so it only needs to sell less than 43 million in the next 10 years, very possible. Just people buying to replace their broken consoles is already half that number for next 10 years. Or do you think that the current 107 million consoles, none will break?

Underscored: Sure, Sony could halve the price of the PS4. But guess what: They do so already during BF, and the sales are still dropping during that period.

Also, doing that now would be suicide for them. They could do so, but only absolute enthusiasts would then go and buy a PS5, which will be several times more expensive - the exact thing that almost killed the PS3 at launch btw. And that wasn't the only reason why the PS2 kept selling: 3rd world countries got introduced with the PS2 only after the PS3 was released in the west, but the PS4 launched in these countries almost the same time as in the west. Also, many, many bought a PS2 only for Singstar or Buzz - you know, the kind of casuals that later went to the Wii, Kinect and finally smartphones.

bolded: Wrong console, that was the PS3. As a BD-Player the PS4 is way overpriced. I got my BD-3D player in 2013 for about 130€, now they cost half that. A BD-4K player also only costs about 120€, still cheaper than a PS4 even at your purported price tag. No one would buy a PS4 these days just to have a BD-Player.

Additionally, I want to stress that most of the PS2 sales came from the US. But there, Microsoft has now put up much stronger competition than the PS2 had, even with an XBO with middling sales worldwide, as more than half of them come from the US. Playstation has lost part of the US market to the Xbox which was in Sony's hands during the PS2 era.

Long story short, the PS4 doesn't have anything that could give it something near the legs that the PS2 had. PS2 had tons of boosters after the PS3 got revealed, but most of them are not available for the PS4 anymore, so the only reason why the PS4 would sell well into the future would be that Sony royally botches the PS5 launch and makes it too expensive for most people (aka over $599).

Finally, one thing that you can check here is that Playstation plus Xbox each gen results into around 175M. That's true both for PS2/Xbox and PS360, and it looks increasingly like PS4/XBO won't be far off, either.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
victor83fernandes said:

What can I do with an Avatar? Im 36 yo, I don't play with avatars or themes, or pokemons or selfies all these modern nonsense.

The ps4 is above the ps2 in sales, years aligned, so I don't know why it would not hit 150 million. The market of people who cant afford more than 150dollars for a console and 5-10 dollars per game is huge, specially PC people who usually pirate but would not mind a cheap way of playing all the ps4 exclusives.

The ps4 is also a cheap bluray player, just like the ps2 was a cheap DVD player, the ps4 is already at over 107 million, so it only needs to sell less than 43 million in the next 10 years, very possible. Just people buying to replace their broken consoles is already half that number for next 10 years. Or do you think that the current 107 million consoles, none will break?

Underscored: Sure, Sony could halve the price of the PS4. But guess what: They do so already during BF, and the sales are still dropping during that period.

Also, doing that now would be suicide for them. They could do so, but only absolute enthusiasts would then go and buy a PS5, which will be several times more expensive - the exact thing that almost killed the PS3 at launch btw. And that wasn't the only reason why the PS2 kept selling: 3rd world countries got introduced with the PS2 only after the PS3 was released in the west, but the PS4 launched in these countries almost the same time as in the west. Also, many, many bought a PS2 only for Singstar or Buzz - you know, the kind of casuals that later went to the Wii, Kinect and finally smartphones.

bolded: Wrong console, that was the PS3. As a BD-Player the PS4 is way overpriced. I got my BD-3D player in 2013 for about 130€, now they cost half that. A BD-4K player also only costs about 120€, still cheaper than a PS4 even at your purported price tag. No one would buy a PS4 these days just to have a BD-Player.

Additionally, I want to stress that most of the PS2 sales came from the US. But there, Microsoft has now put up much stronger competition than the PS2 had, even with an XBO with middling sales worldwide, as more than half of them come from the US. Playstation has lost part of the US market to the Xbox which was in Sony's hands during the PS2 era.

Long story short, the PS4 doesn't have anything that could give it something near the legs that the PS2 had. PS2 had tons of boosters after the PS3 got revealed, but most of them are not available for the PS4 anymore, so the only reason why the PS4 would sell well into the future would be that Sony royally botches the PS5 launch and makes it too expensive for most people (aka over $599).

Finally, one thing that you can check here is that Playstation plus Xbox each gen results into around 175M. That's true both for PS2/Xbox and PS360, and it looks increasingly like PS4/XBO won't be far off, either.

Just wanted to touch one point.

PS2 also wasn't really the "cheap DVD-player", that myth is easily desbunked looking PS2 had attach ratio about 10 which isn't something very different from the norm at the time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Also, it worth nothing that nobody gives a fuck about Blu-ray players in the age of Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, Prime, etc...

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Also, it worth nothing that nobody gives a fuck about Blu-ray players in the age of Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, Prime, etc...

Don't say that. I liked that X1S and X1X had 4K BDplayer, but since I haven't found a single 4KBD to sale in Brazil that interest didn't matter =[

DonFerrari said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Don't say that. I liked that X1S and X1X had 4K BDplayer, but since I haven't found a single 4KBD to sale in Brazil that interest didn't matter =[

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but I personally haven't used the Blu-Ray on my PS4 in about 2 years.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

I love the DVD extras, stuff you don't find with Netflx & Co. That's also why I generally went to the bigger versions which came with more extras. I especially love deleted scenes, bloopers and commentaries, things you'll probably never find on a streaming platform.

TruckOSaurus said:
DonFerrari said:

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but I personally haven't used the Blu-Ray on my PS4 in about 2 years.

I believe in you, but I use from time to time my PS4 for BD and a lot of DVDs on the car for the kids.

I guess I'm probably the exception =p

TruckOSaurus said:

Not true, I still pop in my FRIENDS, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, and I Love Lucy DVDs. Physical media is still pertinent IMO, especially with the current streaming wars.