By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Top years through 41 weeks (VGC)

Around the Network

Week 41 breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Down in all regions
Xbox One: Down in all regions
Nintendo Switch: Up in all regions

Another week; Same old song and dance.

To answer a prior question: There is a slight chance that the Switch may be undertracked in Europe and Other regions. But there’s no way to be sure. The nest we can do is guess and wait until we get Nintendo’s official reports for the end of the quarter in late Oct./early Nov.

PAOerfulone said:

Week 41 breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Down in all regions
Xbox One: Down in all regions
Nintendo Switch: Up in all regions

Another week; Same old song and dance.

To answer a prior question: There is a slight chance that the Switch may be undertracked in Europe and Other regions. But there’s no way to be sure. The nest we can do is guess and wait until we get Nintendo’s official reports for the end of the quarter in late Oct./early Nov.

Nintendo's data will be out Thu Nov 5th.

mk7sx said:

Wow, Switch is just a hair behind DS in 2007 (about 150k).  It has a pretty decent lead on the other years (almost 1m ahead of 2008).  It's in a very good position to break the record.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
mk7sx said:

Wow, Switch is just a hair behind DS in 2007 (about 150k).  It has a pretty decent lead on the other years (almost 1m ahead of 2008).  It's in a very good position to break the record.

Yeah, DS 2009 sales seem like being the floor on what the Switch can reach this year, with a chance of breaking the magic 30M mark. Anybody who would have predicted that even just before the AC launch would probably have been declared crazy.

Around the Network

Seems like PS4 will be adjusted down a little bit YTD.

Just posted Week 43 numbers.

Apologies for the late update, there were plenty of adjustments to make in light of Sony posting their latest figures. And, unfortunately for me, my laptop (R.I.P.) decided to kick the bucket, so I had to go get a new one.
The adjustments have been posted for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. PS4 is now slightly down, and Xbox One is around the same, if not just slightly up.
I haven't made any changes to the Nintendo Switch figures because I am waiting for Nintendo's latest figures this Thursday and the adjustments that will follow.

After a lengthy editing on short time, I had just posted Week 44 numbers in addition to the latest adjustments in light of Nintendo's financial numbers. And on the day where Xbox Series X/S came out no less!!!

The PS4 and Xbox One numbers remain the same, down from their pre adjustments, while the Switch has been given a notable boost. With that, here are some more calculations as we now head into the holiday season!

2019 Sale-Through Percentages:
PlayStation 4 - 68.07972368%
Xbox One - 49.25584754%
Nintendo Switch - 55.98305743%

If these percentages hold, these would be the final 2020 figures for all three systems:

Estimated 2020 totals:
PlayStation 4 - 11,323,985 units
Xbox One - 4,804,798 units
Nintendo Switch - 33,996,652 units

With the Xbox Series now officially out and the PS5 due this Friday, the chances of those percentages and estimates holding for the PS4 and Xbox One are... pretty much zero. They'll likely finish MUCH lower than that .As for the Nintendo Switch, the chances of the system selling 34 million units in one year are a little on the unlikely side, but not impossible. Given Nintendo has historically done extremely well during the holiday season, there's no reason why this year shouldn't be any different. In fact, I think it's a pretty solid chance that it'll finish over 30 million and be the first system in history to sell more than 30 million in a calendar year. (The DS fell just short of the mark in '07 and '08, though they did exceed that number in shipments.)

But we shall see, nothing to do but strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride!

Seriously, seeing these Switch numbers, I'm a bit bummed that Quickrick ain't here anymore. He was right, there's a cliff - it's just that the Switch is jumping up that cliff, not falling down...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Seriously, seeing these Switch numbers, I'm a bit bummed that Quickrick ain't here anymore. He was right, there's a cliff - it's just that the Switch is jumping up that cliff, not falling down...

Agreed. I would love to see his take on this!

"AC won't be a system seller" :O

"Nintendo have used all their big guns"...

Etc. 

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!