By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Breath of the Wild live up to the hype for you?

OTBWY said:
vivster said:
It would've if a few technicalities didn't make it unplayable for me.

Your hands were broken/injured?

Spoiled rotten by better designed and more convenient games. The woes of Millennials.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Absolutely. It is a magical experience only Zelda and fewer other can give. felt the same magic as the first Zelda and OOT.

All in this is much better of these 2.

Switch!!!

Yes, it absolutely did. BOTW is on another level (oto patamá) when it comes to open world games. It has a lot of room for improvements, sure, but Nintendo has laid out a very strong foundation, specially with the gameplay.

Absolutely. A masterpiece and one of the finest games of the 2010-2019 decade. It is not flawless though. I have mixed feelings about the climbing in the rain mechanic and the always breaking weapons. Those are minor issues though.
I was quite disappointed by the story though. Some of the trailers got me pretty hyped for the story, but it was just underwhelming in every way.
That does not take away from the incredible adventure this game was. The gameplay is extremely addicting, the world is beautiful and exciting to explore.

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

Your hands were broken/injured?

Spoiled rotten by better designed and more convenient games. 

Yeah a game about cars being used to shoot balls into goals for example. I think the right word you meant was simple. Simple designed games.

Around the Network

Personally i've stopped boarding any kind of hype-train ever since I was burned by the twilight princess hype. My expectations for that game were so insane, inevitably i was let down once i played it.
With BOTW on the other hand, I watched the trailers but didn't read or research anything else, it looked good enough so I knew i'd buy it, but i didn't want to spoil anything or ruin the surprise (nor get my hopes up too high again). So I didn't know much about it at release, and when I started playing I was horrified to learn that the weapons break! It reminded me of Fragile Dreams for the wii, an absolutely gorgeous looking game with some horrible game play mechanics, such as weapons having limited durability. Thankfully, the more I played BOTW, I realised that Fragile Dreams had implemented that mechanic in an annoying and awful way, while BOTW does it much more enjoyably. I quickly grew accustomed to it, and today I can even appreciate the philosophy behind it.
Quite quickly I also realised that this game is everything I didn't know I wanted from a zelda game. It is quite different from the "classic" 3D-zeldas, while still retaining some common traits. Now I've only really played nintendo-games, and not that many open world games, certainly not any with the scope and size of BOTW, so I can't really compare it to many other games in the genre, or frankly any game on other consoles. But compared to the other 3D-zeldas, BOTW is personally my favourite. It might even be my favourite game of all time (maybe! I still hold Okami (the best "zelda" ever made) very dear to my heart)!
Personally i enjoyed it immensely, I loved almost every part of it. I'm big on exploration, I could set out on a path and just wander around, or spend hours gazing at the beautiful map, planning my course. The gameplay felt satisfying, innovative and inspiring, every step of the way. I'm not that interested in story in videogames, but the story i found was engrossing enough. And I know a lot of people complain about the rain, but it has never bothered me really. So all in all BOTW suited my playstyle perfectly. The experience in genereal just feels extremely polished and the minute attention to detail makes the over-all experience so smooth and joyful. And I've never had such a strong feeling of freedom in a videogame, certainly not in any other zelda-entry. Lovely. Ooh i get all excited and eager to play it again! :D

Horizon: Zero Dawn came out about a week before Breath of the Wild so when I got the game for Wii U, I was a few hours in H:ZD and I was enjoying it quite a lot. I thought : "I'll play Zelda a bit just to see if it's as good as the critics are saying and go back to Horizon". I ended never going back to Horizon, I got instantly sucked the world of Breath of the Wild and played it for about a 100 hours then when I bought a Switch in May, I bought the game again and started from scratch for another 100 hours, so yes it totally lived up to the hype.

Signature goes here!

For me it was probably the greatest game this generation.  All there really is to say about it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

Spoiled rotten by better designed and more convenient games. 

Yeah a game about cars being used to shoot balls into goals for example. I think the right word you meant was simple. Simple designed games.

I've never played Rocket League. It just isn't my type of game but lots of people seem to love it. Some people don't want to like BotW and some people legitimately like it for whatever reason. It doesn't take away from our enjoyment. The vast majority LOVE it. We can't ask for more than that. 

From what I understand, Rocket League IS a simple game but I hope we don't go the route of attacking other games to defend Zelda. BotW is so good, it doesn't need defending. 

HoloDust said:

No, when they first shown tidbits of it, I was really excited about potential avenues they could take and improve on usual 3D Zelda formula.

Sadly in the end, for me at least, it felt like a descent prototype for something that potentially could be much, much better in some future iteration, but ultimately, in current state, fails on so many accounts.

What accounts did it fail on so badly that you view it as only a decent prototype?