By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

VideoGameAccountant said:
BraLoD said:

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth, he actually used the massive buyout of Zenimax as a MS move to wake-up Sony on its arrogance, to white knight MS, and that's beyond absurd to say the least.

His words:

"Sony has grown to near 2006 levels of cockiness again and need a wake up call, if it takes Zenimax being walled off from PS to wake them up, so be it."

He is openly fine with those games not coming to PS, and acting as if MS is doing it to wake them up from anti-consumer behavior and cockiness... just wow.

See, this is where you're conflating his statements. Yes, he did say he hopes the purchase will make Sony be less cocky (which I said in my post as well). But he never "excused" them for it. He  never made a value judgement on it. So him "excusing" the move is you conflating two comments together.

Also, no one was upset when the rumor was Sony was getting Zenimax. This is why I can't take you or any Sony fan seriously about "anti-consumer behavior" because you all would cheer if Sony did the same thing. This is just about you being salty about the purchase.

Feel free to look at my original post about this thread and how much I cheered for Sony...

How exaclty am I salty, btw?

Because I'm calling out blatant double standards? Sure...

Around the Network

Minecraft Dungeons is an interesting case. That could have easily avoided PS4.

I think there's a (very small) chance that TES might be in the same boat. It's the closest thing to Minecraft in terms of popularity (which is still pretty far). It could go either way. But it shows that if the market calls for it, MS may release on other platforms.

method114 said:
DroidKnight said:

Playstation 4 customers that would have purchased Minecraft would have purchased it with the expectations of being able to play the game single-player, multi-player online, and all updates that come along with it.  This was already promised at 2013 E3.  You telling me contract obligations should have been broken just for spite?  I'm going to call BS on that. Could you imagine the fallout that would have occurred if any of your suggestions had been actually implemented?

Now the PS5 is a different story.  Microsoft is under no obligations to release anything Minecraft related on that platform, there were no promises made for that platform by Mojang or Microsoft.  For a week now on multiple threads people have been making the argument that because Microsoft released Minecraft on both the PS4 and Xbox One that it will remain a multi-plat (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) is lame because they did not do that at all.  They simply didn't own it at the time.

Minecraft released for PS4 on September 4th 2014.

Mojang was purchased 11 days later on September 15th 2014.

Minecraft dungeons was released this year on PS4.

Then why did you mention Minecraft?, those are totally 2 different games.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
method114 said:

Minecraft dungeons was released this year on PS4.

What does that have to do with anything? Minecraft dungeons was recently released and it completely destroys your whole theory. So do you have a counter or are you willing to accept that some massive third party games might be going to Sony?

Bandorr said:
DroidKnight said:

Playstation 4 customers that would have purchased Minecraft would have purchased it with the expectations of being able to play the game single-player, multi-player online, and all updates that come along with it.  This was already promised at 2013 E3.  You telling me contract obligations should have been broken just for spite?  I'm going to call BS on that. Could you imagine the fallout that would have occurred if any of your suggestions had been actually implemented?

Now the PS5 is a different story.  Microsoft is under no obligations to release anything Minecraft related on that platform, there were no promises made for that platform by Mojang or Microsoft.  For a week now on multiple threads people have been making the argument that because Microsoft released Minecraft on both the PS4 and Xbox One that it will remain a multi-plat (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) is lame because they did not do that at all.  They simply didn't own it at the time.

So much of that was awkward it's hard to find a starting point.

We can start with Bedrock.  That is a large Minecraft update that came to the Xbox in 2017. Switch in 2018. PS4 in 2019. They could have just not released that update for PS4. It had already been two years.

I didn't see any mention of Minecraft dungeons. You know that new Minecraft dungeon that just recently came out and was put on the PS4. Lets see if I can follow your format.

Minecraft Dungeon released for PS4 on May 26, 2020.

I addressed this once by saying "And that's before address Minecraft Dungeon that came out far later."

Did you just ignore that because it wildly hurts your argument?

Two arguments - both fairly impressive failures. I'm not going for a third - have a good day.

That's right, the person I addressed did not mention Minecraft Dungeons, why would I?  What argument was I trying to make? (That Minecraft was already released on Playstation consoles before Microsoft purchased it.) That wasn't even an argument, that's facts.  I was only addressing the Minecraft issue.  Minecraft Dungeons isn't the same game that I was addressing, that's a different game.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
method114 said:
DroidKnight said:

What does that have to do with anything? Minecraft dungeons was recently released and it completely destroys your whole theory. So do you have a counter or are you willing to accept that some massive third party games might be going to Sony?

What is my theory?  Please let me know because I didn't know I had one.

DroidKnight said:
method114 said:

I'm really confused here. Are you telling me you didn't have any reasoning for why MS released Minecraft in the post you created? What's going on here? Listen I don't understand what kind of game you are playing with your post if your trolling or what. I've laid out my thoughts on the possibility of some of the games still going exclusive. I'm moving on.

method114 said:
DroidKnight said:

I'm really confused here. Are you telling me you didn't have any reasoning for why MS released Minecraft in the post you created? What's going on here? Listen I don't understand what kind of game you are playing with your post if your trolling or what. I've laid out my thoughts on the possibility of some of the games still going exclusive. I'm moving on.

MS did not release Minecraft on PS4 Mojang did.  MS released Minecraft Dungeons on PS4.  Two different companies, two different games.  I can see where you are confused.  I never stated that Microsoft would not release future Minecraft games or future Bethesda/Zenimax on PS5, I just said that they were not obligated to do such.  Hopefully that clears it up for you.  

method114 said:
chakkra said:

They have actually said it multiple times but for some reason nowadays "case by case" translates into "Yes"

And way before that, Phil actually said this:

Can you send me to a link where he said it? Please nothing vague. I want an outright quote that says Fallout and Elder scrolls will never go to playstation. Case by case means that some games will still go multiplat otherwise there  would be no need to say case by case he'd just say nothing is going to playstation. Like right now you told me he already said it and then you link me to some twitter post from April where he doesn't even mention the games.

This is a massive purchase for Xbox. Xbox has been very very good at communicating what they are doing. Now they make one of the biggest purchases in gaming history and all of sudden they are very vague about what's exclusive and what's not. It just doesn't add up to their previous history. Listen maybe the games will be exclusive I just think it's very weird that they wont outright say it. I've also found it weird how everyone other than them is trying to say it. MS is very quick to respond to rumors yet here they are quiet all of a sudden.

They are about to release their console a long side PS5 after being outsold over 2:1. If you're locking some of the biggest game franchises in gaming history to your ecosytem only now is the time to speak. Keeping it vague is potentially losing you customers who might be willing to leave PS because of these games.

I think they are not saying anything because they actually don't know what they are going to be doing yet with regards to exclusivity.

But the lack of exclusive announcements seems to be a lack of confidence in the new hardware. If PS5 outsells Series X and S by the same margin that PS4 outsold Xbox One, then I highly doubt any of the big Bethesda IP will be exclusive as that will be a major own goal essentially.

On the flip side, it amazes me that people seem to think this move by MS was motivated by "console wars". Most casuals dont even know who the hell owns what. MS could have made this a HUGE thing if they included it in one of their press conferences by outright announcing exclusivity on an actual game. They chose not to.

Unless they actually do that, I'm willing to bet that MS has full confidence in gamepass and zero confidence in Series X/S or hardware in general.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

The arguments in this thread...