By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

VideoGameAccountant said:
BraLoD said:

That's the point behind it, you trying to excuse MS buying an entire publisher with some huge dev studios as a "wake-up" call for "Sony arrogance" is as asinine as that.

No, he's "excusing" it because Microsoft will at least release some of their games on other platforms. At the very least, you'll get Bethesda games on PC as you've always been. If Sony bought Zenimax, all of their games would be exclusive on PS5. You maybe would get them years later on PC, but you wouldn't get them on Switch of Series X ever. Already, Microsoft is better in this regard than Sony as seen with Minecraft, Ori and Cuphead. His comment on Sony being arrogant is that, yes, they are being arrogant and this move should make them realize you can't coast for the next generation. You've been putting words in his mouth.

Also, let's not ignore the fact that many Sony fans in this thread said they'd love for Sony to buy Zenimax. So it was never about walling off developers. It was about someone else besides Sony walling off a developer. Your post in this thread are just sour grapes. 

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth, he actually used the massive buyout of Zenimax as a MS move to wake-up Sony on its arrogance, to white knight MS, and that's beyond absurd to say the least.

His words:

"Sony has grown to near 2006 levels of cockiness again and need a wake up call, if it takes Zenimax being walled off from PS to wake them up, so be it."

He is openly fine with those games not coming to PS, and acting as if MS is doing it to wake them up from anti-consumer behavior and cockiness... just wow.



Around the Network
BraLoD said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

No, he's "excusing" it because Microsoft will at least release some of their games on other platforms. At the very least, you'll get Bethesda games on PC as you've always been. If Sony bought Zenimax, all of their games would be exclusive on PS5. You maybe would get them years later on PC, but you wouldn't get them on Switch of Series X ever. Already, Microsoft is better in this regard than Sony as seen with Minecraft, Ori and Cuphead. His comment on Sony being arrogant is that, yes, they are being arrogant and this move should make them realize you can't coast for the next generation. You've been putting words in his mouth.

Also, let's not ignore the fact that many Sony fans in this thread said they'd love for Sony to buy Zenimax. So it was never about walling off developers. It was about someone else besides Sony walling off a developer. Your post in this thread are just sour grapes. 

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth, he actually used the massive buyout of Zenimax as a MS move to wake-up Sony on its arrogance, to white knight MS, and that's beyond absurd to say the least.

His words:

"Sony has grown to near 2006 levels of cockiness again and need a wake up call, if it takes Zenimax being walled off from PS to wake them up, so be it."

He is openly fine with those games not coming to PS, and acting as if MS is doing it to wake them up from anti-consumer behavior and cockiness... just wow.

See, this is where you're conflating his statements. Yes, he did say he hopes the purchase will make Sony be less cocky (which I said in my post as well). But he never "excused" them for it. He  never made a value judgement on it. So him "excusing" the move is you conflating two comments together.

Also, no one was upset when the rumor was Sony was getting Zenimax. This is why I can't take you or any Sony fan seriously about "anti-consumer behavior" because you all would cheer if Sony did the same thing. This is just about you being salty about the purchase.



Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

VAMatt said:
MS puts games on non-MS platforms. MS and Bethesda have already said that the platforms a game launches on will be decided on a case by case basis. So, before we come down on MS.for screwing gamers out of some of the biggest franchises around, shouldn't we wait to see if that actually do it? It seems like a near.certainty that mainline Fallout and Elder Scrolls games will be multi-plat, at least for the foreseeable future. Will MS end up with an exclusive game from Bethesda at some point? Probably so. W Fallout 5 not appear on Playstation? I see little chance.

Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, and Psychonauts 2 all had a agreement in place that MS honoured. Ori going to Switch is a side deal, not the same as going to PlayStation, as Nintendo isn’t direct competition. 

You want “case by case”? Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online getting next gen treatments. Honouring the Deathloop and Ghostwire deals. Imo PS users are lucky to get even that. 

Otherwise I don’t see MS “screwing gamers out”. Unlike Sony which has the walled garden where you have to drop $400-$500 to play their games, Xbox puts their games on Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, and Android pohones/tablets with Xcloud. Game Pass gets these games day 1 for significantly less then $70 upfront. 

Pretty sure that the only people you are referring to are PS only gamers. PC gamers gave their blessing as they will still have access. My impression from the comment is that PS-only gamers disdain for Xbox is the only thing stopping them from playing games they want to play.

Fact is they want to grow Game Pass and you can’t do that if Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, or Starfield come to PS. You can’t play the “screw gamers” card because fact is Xbox exclusives are much more accessible then PS exclusives. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 28 September 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

VideoGameAccountant said:

Also, no one was upset when the rumor was Sony was getting Zenimax. This is why I can't take you or any Sony fan seriously about "anti-consumer behavior" because you all would cheer if Sony did the same thing. This is just about you being salty about the purchase.

Eh, I don't think you should make generalisations.

sales2099 said:

Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, and Psychonauts 2 all had a agreement in place that MS honoured. 

There isn't anything for MS to honour because I doubt they have any say over prior contractual obligations. Agreements would naturally include all possibilities of the other party from not doing what they are required to do. A new owner of a company can't change that. 



BraLoD said:
zero129 said:

The is rumors that MS is in talks with Sony to buy the IP rights to LoD!.

Just imagine it... better not to.

If that's what it takes to make you a fan MS said they are all for it xD.



Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats waaay to big a buy isnt it?

That said, I'd love to see Sony take over Bethesda Game Studios.

Sometimes new management is all thats needed, to get things back on track,
and I suspect Bethesda is one of those companys that could benefit from it.

Elder Scrolls Online + Fallout 76 = garbage.

Bethasda has lost its way.

Its too focused on all the wrong things, way to focused on penny pinching, and exploiting consumers.
Sony takeing over, and new engine + a belief in single player focused gameing, and not screwing over consumers.
Suddenly Elderscrolls is back and Fallout too, as their ment to be.

You almost predicted how things turned out. Almost.

Hahhahhaha.... yeah... got that one just right!

About the management issues, hopefully xbox leadership is able to put them in their place, and straigthen out the ship that is bethesda.
(even though I wouldn't count this as a strong point for xbox (studio management skills))

Still from ESO + Fallout 76, things can only go upwards.

I wanted to see bethesda go back to single player focused RPGs again.... hopefully thats what Xbox has planned for them continueing onwards.
We dont need a ESO 2 or a Fallout 77.



It's really sad to see all this fighting when at the end of the day we all just love to play video games. Get a PC a PS5 and a nintendo switch and you wont care what any of these companies do. I could care less what MS purchased my gaming PC is ready for it.



sales2099 said:
VAMatt said:
MS puts games on non-MS platforms. MS and Bethesda have already said that the platforms a game launches on will be decided on a case by case basis. So, before we come down on MS.for screwing gamers out of some of the biggest franchises around, shouldn't we wait to see if that actually do it? It seems like a near.certainty that mainline Fallout and Elder Scrolls games will be multi-plat, at least for the foreseeable future. Will MS end up with an exclusive game from Bethesda at some point? Probably so. W Fallout 5 not appear on Playstation? I see little chance.

Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, and Psychonauts 2 all had a agreement in place that MS honoured. Ori going to Switch is a side deal, not the same as going to PlayStation, as Nintendo isn’t direct competition. 

You want “case by case”? Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online getting next gen treatments. Honouring the Deathloop and Ghostwire deals. Imo PS users are lucky to get even that. 

Otherwise I don’t see MS “screwing gamers out”. Unlike Sony which has the walled garden where you have to drop $400-$500 to play their games, Xbox puts their games on Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, and Android pohones/tablets with Xcloud. Game Pass gets these games day 1 for significantly less then $70 upfront. 

Pretty sure that the only people you are referring to are PS only gamers. PC gamers gave their blessing as they will still have access. My impression from the comment is that PS-only gamers disdain for Xbox is the only thing stopping them from playing games they want to play.

Fact is they want to grow Game Pass and you can’t do that if Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, or Starfield come to PS. You can’t play the “screw gamers” card because fact is Xbox exclusives are much more accessible then PS exclusives. 

I have been saying basically this everytime someone tries to deny ES6, Fallout 5, and Starfield as being XBox brand exclusive.  I will be very suprised if these games come to PS5, because whether they are played on XCloud, PC, or the XBox series consoles...the brand is still growing and making MS more money in the end.

Putting them on their direct competition is not going to help them reach that goal, whether they are getting money from those sales or not.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

This aged like a fine milk



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Shiken said:
sales2099 said:

Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, and Psychonauts 2 all had a agreement in place that MS honoured. Ori going to Switch is a side deal, not the same as going to PlayStation, as Nintendo isn’t direct competition. 

You want “case by case”? Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online getting next gen treatments. Honouring the Deathloop and Ghostwire deals. Imo PS users are lucky to get even that. 

Otherwise I don’t see MS “screwing gamers out”. Unlike Sony which has the walled garden where you have to drop $400-$500 to play their games, Xbox puts their games on Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, and Android pohones/tablets with Xcloud. Game Pass gets these games day 1 for significantly less then $70 upfront. 

Pretty sure that the only people you are referring to are PS only gamers. PC gamers gave their blessing as they will still have access. My impression from the comment is that PS-only gamers disdain for Xbox is the only thing stopping them from playing games they want to play.

Fact is they want to grow Game Pass and you can’t do that if Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, or Starfield come to PS. You can’t play the “screw gamers” card because fact is Xbox exclusives are much more accessible then PS exclusives. 

I have been saying basically this everytime someone tries to deny ES6, Fallout 5, and Starfield as being XBox brand exclusive.  I will be very suprised if these games come to PS5, because whether they are played on XCloud, PC, or the XBox series consoles...the brand is still growing and making MS more money in the end.

Putting them on their direct competition is not going to help them reach that goal, whether they are getting money from those sales or not.

First MS could have done this with Minecraft and they didn't. Second is if MS plans to make these massive titles exclusive why haven't they just come out and said it? Right now before everyone is fully locked in and purchased their new next-gen console. Why has MS not told everyone that all these massive titles that used to be multiplat will never go to playstation? It would be a massive blow to playstation. I've already seen people online waiver on whether or not to get a PS5 because of it. Instead they not only didn't say it but they said they would do a case by case basis. This to me says everything.