By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

It looks like MS heard our complaints and increased the gamepass quest points back to what it was :)

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

Hopefully they at least show a tech demo with it or something, I'm not personally interested in Lockheart, though at least it'll be nice to get it out the way.

With Lockhart Microsoft will be able to undercut Sony's price of the PS5 AND still have the most powerful console on the market. There were technically 2 Xbox 360's at launch. One with no HDD and one with an HDD. There was a $100 difference in price. 

From the latest rumours it looks like Sony is making 2 models as well. It will be more or less an even playing field but I think Series X will have a slight edge. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ryuu96 said:

Am I right in saying them sales numbers will be to 31st Dec 2019 or a little further into the year? Sounds like we are around 3m under tracked on here looking at end of 2019 sales.

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

Hopefully they at least show a tech demo with it or something, I'm not personally interested in Lockheart, though at least it'll be nice to get it out the way.

With Lockhart Microsoft will be able to undercut Sony's price of the PS5 AND still have the most powerful console on the market. There were technically 2 Xbox 360's at launch. One with no HDD and one with an HDD. There was a $100 difference in price. 

The differences extended to more than just the hard drive though.

The Core edition didn't have a wireless controller and came with a composite cable with no optical audio and it lacked the "chrome" faceplate on the DVD drive.

Ryuu96 said:

That would include the Wii U somewhere... As that console existed from 2012 until 2017.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ryuu96 said:
Well, nothing at the AMD investor meeting, so I guess the news is next week like Klob hinted at and it's Lockheart's reveal only, I wish folk wouldn't hype stuff one week out, a day before the apparent date of a another rumour.

Hopefully we get sort of news tomorrow. 

Around the Network

I am really interested to see how Lockhart goes. I am not technical enough to understand some of the suggestions that even at ~4TFLOPs it might be comparable or better than the One X - though I guess having a better processor will help a lot.

So much will come down to the effectiveness of Microsoft's marketing, but having a (competent) cheap console and the most powerful console could work for them.

Of course, they've called the first of those console's Xbox Series X, so I don't have high hopes for their marketing given the astounding lack of differentiation they've already displayed.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
I am really interested to see how Lockhart goes. I am not technical enough to understand some of the suggestions that even at ~4TFLOPs it might be comparable or better than the One X - though I guess having a better processor will help a lot.

So much will come down to the effectiveness of Microsoft's marketing, but having a (competent) cheap console and the most powerful console could work for them.

Of course, they've called the first of those console's Xbox Series X, so I don't have high hopes for their marketing given the astounding lack of differentiation they've already displayed.

Lockhart would be roughly 50% faster than the Xbox One X in rasterization tasks. (I.E. Typical graphics.)

Should be 800% or more faster in tasks that leverage SIMD on the CPU.

Lockhart should have a 288GB/s memory bus (12GB on a 384-bit wide memory setup.) which would come short of the Xbox One X... But that is only the raw numbers, RDNA2 has a plethora of bandwidth saving technologies, wouldn't be surprised if Lockhart had a 50% improvement over the Xbox One X in memory transactions that are compressible... Plus the Xbox One X would be hindered by the crossbar in worst-case scenarios.

But the real kicker is Ray Tracing. Lockhart would be several multiples more capable than the Xbox One X on this front... All in all, Lockhart would still offer that generational increase over the Xbox One X in terms of graphics effects, just at a lower resolution... But with image reconstruction being a big key feature going forwards in graphics technology... How important is resolution... Really?

As a PC gamer I find 1440P to be the sweet spot with visual settings dialed up with good reconstruction rather than 4k with more moderate settings.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
starcraft said:

Lockhart would be roughly 50% faster than the Xbox One X in rasterization tasks. (I.E. Typical graphics.)

Should be 800% or more faster in tasks that leverage SIMD on the CPU.

Lockhart should have a 288GB/s memory bus (12GB on a 384-bit wide memory setup.) which would come short of the Xbox One X... But that is only the raw numbers, RDNA2 has a plethora of bandwidth saving technologies, wouldn't be surprised if Lockhart had a 50% improvement over the Xbox One X in memory transactions that are compressible... Plus the Xbox One X would be hindered by the crossbar in worst-case scenarios.

But the real kicker is Ray Tracing. Lockhart would be several multiples more capable than the Xbox One X on this front... All in all, Lockhart would still offer that generational increase over the Xbox One X in terms of graphics effects, just at a lower resolution... But with image reconstruction being a big key feature going forwards in graphics technology... How important is resolution... Really?

As a PC gamer I find 1440P to be the sweet spot with visual settings dialed up with good reconstruction rather than 4k with more moderate settings.

Yeah I've been happy since I made my move over to 1440p when I bought a new monitor and GPU mid 2016 and not bothered about moving up to 4k anytime soon I've played many different games across X1X and PC and without a doubt the PC High or better settings on 1440p noticeably outperforms 4K on X1X games on the visual front.

In an ideal world next gen consoles would just target 1440p and max out the graphic sliders and FPS especially with stuff like Ray-Tracing arriving and have an overall better graphics quality but unfortunately 1440p isn't anywhere near as marketable as throwing out the "4K" buzzword is.

Last edited by WoodenPints - on 06 March 2020

Ryuu96 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Xbox Game Studios OpenCritic Prediction League

@WoodenPints, there you go.

Decided to use VGC tables to make updating it easier...

I fucked up, here's the thread: Xbox Game Studios OpenCritic Prediction League

Cool I was just about to say it just links to the homepage lol

Ryuu96 said:

Lol

Hard to trust a company with making a Open World AAA game who don't have the technical capability to port a game from PS4/PC>Xbox One.