By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Did anyone get the email about the increase yet?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Angelus said:

Why would they pay more? The statement said that existing subscribers will continue paying the same rate. This change only impacts new potential customers.

Yep, it does. I'll keep waiting for a PS5 to become available here, since this just squashed my ideas of maybe getting a Series X instead as PS5 seems to remain MIA for a long time here.

Every time I'm thinking about going back to XBox MS pulls a last minute stunt to persuade me not to again. Anyway, I'm playing FS2020 online at no extra cost. Just got to stick with PC.

And yeah most people don't have a recurring membership, I certainly don't leave my CC info on my kid's consoles. Plus who knows when that will be changed. 

Don't blame you. If I were a gamer with no interest in GP, for whatever reason, I wouldn't buy an Xbox.

Obviously, as someone who has GPUltimate until like 2023 or something, this has no affect on me personally, but it's definitely a shit move. As Ryu said, it's a very ill conceived way of trying to push people towards GP over Gold.

Even as a game pass ultimate subscriber I find the gold price increase to be scummy.

I legitimately wouldn't be surprised if that decision switches a bit of people away from xbox, that's how bad it is

the optics of knowing if you wanted to buy a console just to mostly play things like Fortnite on or other free to play games, some of which have become the biggest this past gen, and then knowing you'd have to pay $120 per year on xbox while it's free everywhere else is absolutely vile

they should at least make free to play games not need gold by this point, for fucks sake

Ryuu96 said:

I'm thinking if they do plan on removing the paywall for F2P, even if it's in their plans but they're waiting until later to announce it, it would show once again how awful Microsoft's marketing is, why wouldn't you announce the removal of the F2P paywall alongside this news?! They announced something bad without offering anything good in return, it is just downright awful marketing.

There's also the chance that they have no plans for removing the F2P paywall which would just be extremely stupid.

it's just so confusing to me how the F2P games thing seems like the one line Microsoft won't even look at

like after all the good decisions they made like letting people still use their old controllers and peripherals, where they could have easily made more money by having the new ones be required, it's the F2P games that for some reason they refuse to even acknowledge? could it really be making them THAT much money by having them require Gold? seemingly not enough for Nintendo or Sony at least so I just don't get it 

Around the Network

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Angelus said:
SvennoJ said:

Yep, it does. I'll keep waiting for a PS5 to become available here, since this just squashed my ideas of maybe getting a Series X instead as PS5 seems to remain MIA for a long time here.

Every time I'm thinking about going back to XBox MS pulls a last minute stunt to persuade me not to again. Anyway, I'm playing FS2020 online at no extra cost. Just got to stick with PC.

And yeah most people don't have a recurring membership, I certainly don't leave my CC info on my kid's consoles. Plus who knows when that will be changed. 

Don't blame you. If I were a gamer with no interest in GP, for whatever reason, I wouldn't buy an Xbox.

Obviously, as someone who has GPUltimate until like 2023 or something, this has no affect on me personally, but it's definitely a shit move. As Ryu said, it's a very ill conceived way of trying to push people towards GP over Gold.

Game pass is great value, and I enjoyed playing FH4 and Crackdown with it. However, I rather play a few games a lot, than a lot of games a little. GP is simply overkill for my playing habits. I hardly ever touch any ps+ games either, still have hundreds of games to play from my ps+ library.

The only reason I still have ps+ (after GT Sport went down the drain) is for my kids. Good to know there's no point buying them a Series S. It was an option in case MS would actually have dropped the online pay wall, at least for free to play games. Yet after this news, better clear some room to fit a ps5 in lol. (ugh its big...)

What a scummy move from Microsoft.

I could understand a price hike from $60 to $80 but doubling it to $120? That's ridiculous. I'm surprised they didn't remove the paywall for F2P games to soften the blow.

Ryotsu said:

Oooh thanks for the reminder! I need to stock up on popcorn for when MS announce all those Zenimax games as GP exclusives.