By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

thank. god. 

Free to Play games no longer need gold and the price hike cancelled.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 23 January 2021

Around the Network

? I give up, MS you're simply too confusing.

Damn ms...

Did they intentionally cause the outrage to now come out as the good guy on the other side?

Fucking hell.

Some Lex Luther tier shit going on here.

trunkswd said:

After so much backlash Microsoft decided not to increase the price AND free-to-play games no longer requires Gold. Imagine if they just did the free-to-play thing. It would have been a PR win. But now...eh.

Negativity  and outrage speads quicker on the internet. I can't help but think that it was done on purpose. 

trunkswd said:
ironmanDX said:

Negativity  and outrage speads quicker on the internet. I can't help but think that it was done on purpose. 

It still seems like a terrible idea even if this was all on purpose to make them seem like the good guy in the end for listening. Plus reversing it so fast AND on late on a Friday night makes me think some higher-up (maybe Phil?) saw the reaction and told them to not increase the price and make free-to-play games not require Gold as a show of good faith and to match Sony and Nintendo. 

Yeah, you're probably right. 

They need to let the already awesome value of Gamepass speak for itself. Not inflate it by virtue of making gold significantly worse value. 

Either way, good to see the turn around happen so quickly. 

Around the Network

The damage is already done in the minds of gamers, MS just lost a lot of trust points with fans.

They dumbest shit is that F2P games were still going to be lock behind a paywall with the price hike but now they show that they could have done it all along with the normal price. Whoever made this stupid decision needs to be fired ASAP

Glad they did the right thing in the end. They should demote whoever came up with that dumb idea.

Alright people, time for phase 2, let's ask MS/Phil why console gamers have to pay a sub for online but PC gamers that have the same games and service don't! #FoolsGold #FreeMP

ironmanDX said:
trunkswd said:

After so much backlash Microsoft decided not to increase the price AND free-to-play games no longer requires Gold. Imagine if they just did the free-to-play thing. It would have been a PR win. But now...eh.

They probably made some extra money as well, a lot of people quickly maxed out their gold subs at the 'old' price after the news dropped.
Anyway, just a temporary delay. The pressure is their for Gold or rather GP to start earning profit.

However the Series S looks enticing again, now without free to play paywall.

shikamaru317 said:
EspadaGrim said:

The damage is already done in the minds of gamers, MS just lost a lot of trust points with fans.

They dumbest shit is that F2P games were still going to be lock behind a paywall with the price hike but now they show that they could have done it all along with the normal price. Whoever made this stupid decision needs to be fired ASAP

Core gamers maybe, but casuals will have no idea of what almost transpired as they don't follow gaming news very closely. 

As for the core gamers, exclusives speak louder than anything else to them, as long as MS outputs high quality exclusives on Xbox and PC the core gamers will come, especially due to the value of Gamepass which lets them play all of those exclusives day one. MS definitely needs the Zenimax games to all be exclusives now though, best way to overcome any negative sales effects that todays PR blunder might have caused.

I agree that all future Zenimax titles need to be exclusive on the ecosystem, but who knows what they will do since these same people believed that doubling the price of Gold effectively making Xbox the worst console to play MP games was a smart idea.

If they decide to release upcoming Zenimax titles on PlayStation then that will be a another negative blow to Xbox and Gamepass, I hope they do the right thing for their loyal customers but like I said they just lost some trust points from me.