By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Rod fergusson leaving Coalition for Blizzard!!

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Wow, what the hell, I didn't expect to see that news anytime soon, that's a massive loss for The Coalition...Guess the plus side is that he's leaving right after Gears 5 and Gears 6 is only in pre-production so the transition should be smooth but who will take over?

Also what is with Blizzard poaching Xbox veterans? First Mike, now Rod.

It's probably Ybarra that convinced Rod to come to Blizzard.

Imagine Cliffy B becoming the new Coalition boss!
Or another crazy idea. MS brings Dan Houser as new studio Head.

Cliffy B will not move his family to Vancouver, Rod will regret this move Blizzard are a mess.

With Rod leaving, I hope MS will be convinced to end Gears with 6. The franchise was on decline after original trilogy and I personally can’t see it returning to be as huge as it was back in 360 days. Modern gamers are just not seem to be interested in the Gears formula. Of course they can make some big changes in terms of gameplay, but it will probably result in Gears not being Gears anymore. As for The Coalition, it’s a good opportunity to work on a new IP, Working on Gears forever will get them nowhere as a studio, so once again, it’s a good thing for them with Rod leaving probably. As for Rod, shitty choice. Can’t understand his decision. Probably the worst possible choice out of all game developer companies.

Around the Network

With Rod gone maybe The Coalition can now make that Perfect Dark reboot or revive Shangheist.

So Rod is going to oversee Diablo huh...not sure how I feel about that, but best of luck to him.

Rod leaving is a huge loss to Gears. Hopefully the Coalition can continue to deliver without him.

derpysquirtle64 said:
With Rod leaving, I hope MS will be convinced to end Gears with 6. The franchise was on decline after original trilogy and I personally can’t see it returning to be as huge as it was back in 360 days. Modern gamers are just not seem to be interested in the Gears formula. Of course they can make some big changes in terms of gameplay, but it will probably result in Gears not being Gears anymore. As for The Coalition, it’s a good opportunity to work on a new IP, Working on Gears forever will get them nowhere as a studio, so once again, it’s a good thing for them with Rod leaving probably. As for Rod, shitty choice. Can’t understand his decision. Probably the worst possible choice out of all game developer companies.

I would counter that Gears 5 was a fantastic return to form, and struck a great balance between adopting improved modern gameplay whilst staying Gears.

That said, I am going to agree with you. Give us an epic finish, then take a half decade off to develop new IP before rebooting.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Ryuu96 said:

Could this be used for B/C?

Edit - Misread it, I thought Playfab was experimenting with it but an actual studio is, Ninja Theory maybe?

Nvidia is also doing a work in AI upscaling atm too, not that really applies to consoles. Could be great for the Switch or Switch 2.

If an internal studio come up with their own version, I can see it being implemented with XSX. Defiantly a watch this space.

I also wouldn't mind Gears 6 to end the series for a good few years... I am really struggling to finish Gears 5 despite me liking it considerably more than 4 and judgement. I'm burnt out.