By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

According to Morgoth on Era, Gears 6 pre-production is 'like a train' and causing The Coalition to lose interest in Perfect Dark, there's no plans for a 2nd Coalition studio either. I'm guessing they don't want to go multi-team so it sounds like it will be one or the other, disappointing but they are in the middle of a Gears story.

Hopefully Gears 6 actually gets 3 years of development this time, we have enough studios now that we can chill a little on release schedules.

What does "like a train" mean?

Around the Network

lol those few months I did the gamerscore challenge with Slade... Avatar 😂 what ever happened to the year in review from Xbox? I wanted to see my SoT time

jason1637 said:
Ryuu96 said:

According to Morgoth on Era, Gears 6 pre-production is 'like a train' and causing The Coalition to lose interest in Perfect Dark, there's no plans for a 2nd Coalition studio either. I'm guessing they don't want to go multi-team so it sounds like it will be one or the other, disappointing but they are in the middle of a Gears story.

Hopefully Gears 6 actually gets 3 years of development this time, we have enough studios now that we can chill a little on release schedules.

What does "like a train" mean?

Just smashing through pre-production progress. 

I want a perfect dark reboot... Hmm...

Well, I want both actually.

Well, as someone who has no particular attachment to Perfect Dark, I don't mind this news, if true. It just tells me that either;
A) The team is still very passionate about Gears
B) They weren't that into what they were doing with Perfect Dark, or what they were planning/prototyping wasn't so hot
or C) Some combination of both

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. MS should have listened to Ken Lobb years ago and put it into development for a 2020 release honestly. Ken was 100% right that it would be the perfect game for a 3rd person story driven reboot, it's the kind of game that could compete with the 3rd person story driven games that Sony's 1st party is so heavily praised for, something that Microsoft's 1st party largely lacks. Attractive female protagonist, cool near future storyline involving an alien war being fought on Earth via proxy corporations, focus on action-adventure combat and stealth, it would hit all of the checkmarks for me personally.

MS has been sleeping on their old Rare IP's for far too long. Banjo, Conker, and Perfect Dark in particular are pretty much guaranteed successes if they ever do anything with them, as long as they don't totally screw up the development on them. 

MS has been adamant that they're giving their devs the freedom to work on whatever they wanna work on, and that their vault of past IP is open to them if they so choose. If it's not being made, you're going to have to accept that nobody really wants to make these games.

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

MS has been adamant that they're giving their devs the freedom to work on whatever they wanna work on, and that their vault of past IP is open to them if they so choose. If it's not being made, you're going to have to accept that nobody really wants to make these games.

That's 1st party though. You can't really blame Microsoft's 1st party studios for wanting to work on their own IP's instead of taking on the daunting task of rebooting classic franchises that were huge successes. That goes for Rare as well, the name might be the same, but there has been alot of turnover at the studio, very few people from the Nintendo days left there, of course they'd rather work on new IP's like Sea of Thieves and Everwild than take on the daunting task of rebooting the old Nintendo era IP's. Frankly it's a miracle that Coalition was willing to take on the task of continuing Gears instead of working on their own IP, Shangheist, it must have been a scary decision for many people at the studio at the time. 

MS could always turn to independent 3rd party developers and publish the games as 2nd party exclusives though, many of those independent AA/AAA studios are just barely hanging on, living hand to mouth, they'll take whatever work they can get, they're not going to be as picky about what they want to work on as 1st party studios are. A studio like IO Interactive, backed by a proper budget, could potentially do wonders with Perfect Dark, with somebody at MS handling the story. Likewise I'm sure that Playtonic would have jumped at the chance to work on an actual Banjo game instead of Yooka Laylee if MS offered them the chance, though MS would have to get them to modernize the design a bit compared to Yooka Laylee, since Yooka Laylee was criticized for being too retro. As for Conker, well I admit that one might be more tricky to pull off, you really need Chris Seavor to make Conker work, and he hates MS supposedly.

If I was Phil Spencer, I wouldn't be too keen to go out and find a "non picky" studio, desperate for work, and a paycheck to revive a legacy IP. If a talented studio calls me about a pitch for one, and they're passionate about wanting a crack at it, cool, let's see what you got….but I'm not putting out a call for all comers just to bring one of these IPs back by any and all means. 

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

If I was Phil Spencer, I wouldn't be too keen to go out and find a "non picky" studio, desperate for work, and a paycheck to revive a legacy IP. If a talented studio calls me about a pitch for one, and they're passionate about wanting a crack at it, cool, let's see what you got….but I'm not putting out a call for all comers just to bring one of these IPs back by any and all means. 

Thankfully there are talented indie 3rd party studios out there that do live hand to mouth though, who would likely be willing to work on the IP's if MS asked. MS has already bought some of those talented, hand to mouth type studios, namely Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and Double Fine, but there are still others that are out there that MS could use to revive Rare's old IP's. I agree that it's not the ideal situation, but anything is better than squandering successful IP's for 10+ years like MS has done.

Honestly, if I was Phil, I would probably use a bit firmer of a hand with 1st party studios than he does. The nice guy thing might be good marketing, but some studios need firmer guidance than Phil seems to use. Arguably the lack of strong guidance for Rare has been a huge blunder for MS over the years, MS has supposedly been letting them work on whatever they've wanted to work on for over a decade now, and while that might make for a happy Rare, most of what they released in that time period wasn't very successful, with the main exceptions being Kinect Sports, which was only a success because of the Kinect craze, and Sea of Thieves, which wouldn't have even been half as successful were it not for Gamepass most likely. Of course that is not all on Phil, he's only been head for 6 years now, Mattrick is equally to blame there. I'm not saying that Phil should be totally draconian and rule over his 1st party studios with an iron fist, but somewhat stronger guidance would be nice, letting studios work on whatever they want isn't always the best idea, some game ideas just aren't very marketable.

There's a difference between somebody who's willing to work on something, cus they desperately need the work, and a team that's genuinely excited about a project. If MS can find someone out there for these franchises like Wizards of the Coast did with Larian, coming off two amazing Divinity games (their own fucking IP), that's STILL hungry to work on Baldur's Gate 3?! Great. Fantastic. Make that happen.

But I'm not calling up one decent indie dev after another, trying to talk them into taking my money for something that could backfire massively image wise if it turns out to be a flop. 

Yeah, the problem with Last Night also is that is actually turned out to be the game about "the world where feminism won" or something like that. Don't see Microsoft promoting it again. Lots of people will be pissed if they do.

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
Yeah, the problem with Last Night also is that is actually turned out to be the game about "the world where feminism won" or something like that. Don't see Microsoft promoting it again. Lots of people will be pissed if they do.

I don't think it's so much a world where feminism won, but progressivism in general. The game is set in a dystopian future where automation replaced most jobs, but universal basic income failed to provide an adequate income for the jobless masses, leading to extreme poverty. Tim says that he designed the game just to showcase one possible future, but claims that it's not designed to be taken as a politically motivated game, comparing it to similar dystopian works like Wall-E and Gattaca, which showcase dystopian futures caused by human environmental impact and eugenics respectively.

i mean, he literally said "our game is set in a world were feminism won"...