By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

I know it's been talked about in here before, but Microsoft really needs to highlight and put more backing behind Stalker 2. The Stalker games were really a pretty big deal on PC in the mid 2000's and were part of the last wave of big AAA PC exclusives (Witcher 1, Crysis 1, Stalker etc). I won't say that Stalker 2 will necessarily be amazing or that it won't be janky (the originals were), but as long as it has the budget I don't see it getting much lower reception than something like Exodus. It could be a sleeper hit if treated appropriately. 



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I know it's been talked about in here before, but Microsoft really needs to highlight and put more backing behind Stalker 2. The Stalker games were really a pretty big deal on PC in the mid 2000's and were part of the last wave of big AAA PC exclusives (Witcher 1, Crysis 1, Stalker etc). I won't say that Stalker 2 will necessarily be amazing or that it won't be janky (the originals were), but as long as it has the budget I don't see it getting much lower reception than something like Exodus. It could be a sleeper hit if treated appropriately. 

People are sleeping on Stalker 2, that studio could potentially be an acquisition target too depending on how that game does.



What they've shown about stalker 2 looks great. I agree Microsoft should do a better job of marketing it.

That being said, they should do a better job of marketing most of their games lately. I feel like the last marketing campaign that really felt they went all out for was Halo 3. The marketing campaigns don't have to be that large again, but they should be more aggressive.



Has said:

What they've shown about stalker 2 looks great. I agree Microsoft should do a better job of marketing it.

That being said, they should do a better job of marketing most of their games lately. I feel like the last marketing campaign that really felt they went all out for was Halo 3. The marketing campaigns don't have to be that large again, but they should be more aggressive.

Halo 4 was also pretty big. That gamr was everywhere. But i agree their campaigns for last generation weren't as big or impactful as the 360 gen.



Honestly, by today’s standards Halo 3’s marketing isn’t even that big. It’s marketing budget was reportedly around $40m, half of Halo 2’s $80m. Reach exceeded Halo 3's marketing budget, but I'm not sure if it exceeded Halo 2's. But none of the current Halo games even comes close to having the highest video game marketing budget. GTA V had a $128m marketing budget just at launch. CD Projekt reportedly spent around $209m on Cyberpunk marketing, nearly 6x more than the $35m they spent on Witcher 3 marketing at release. Modern Warfare 2 reportedly had a $200m marketing budget in 2009, adjusted for inflation that comes out to $240m today.

As for Halo 4, we never heard a figure for it's marketing budget. Halo 4 development budget was reportedly $100m, compared to $40m for Halo 2 and and $35m for Halo 3. It's possible that the Halo 4 figure is a total development + marketing number, rather than development only, or that it was just substantially more expensive to develop. I know 343 had, well, 343 devs at the time, alot more than Bungie had when Halo 2 and 3 were in development, so I guess it's possible the $100m figure could be development only. 

Unfortunately, we never heard much of anything about budgets from MS this gen, except that Fable Legends cost MS around $75m. We never heard a budget figure for Halo 5, Gears 4 or 5, any of the Forza games, nothing really. Considering the fact that MS mainly relied on Hunt the Truth for Halo 5 marketing, I can't imagine that it's marketing budget was higher than Halo 2's. With Halo 5 there was no Mountain Dew or Doritos promotion, no fast food restaurant promotion.

Hopefully MS does a much better job on Halo Infinite marketing. I want a trailer airing during a popular show or sports championship, a 2nd run of the recent Monster Energy promotion, a fast food restaurant promotion, and more. Halo Infinite needs to be the game that makes Halo a cultural phenomenon again, that can't happen without big marketing. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 January 2021

Around the Network


I just noticed "Cloud" now. When did they start adding it next to console and PC?



I LOVE GIGGS said:

I just noticed "Cloud" now. When did they start adding it next to console and PC?

It was mobile before. I think they changed it Cloud.



Desperados 3, nice.



After seeing the great reviews that Hitman 3 is getting (88 meta on PC, 87 on Xbox Series), I find myself wanting to play the trilogy, but wow the pricing is not great currently. Seems like the cheapest way to get Hitman 1 and 2 and then be able to play them in the upgraded Hitman 3 engine with Xbox Series support, is around $130 currently. Just getting Hitman 2 with the Hitman 1 levels in the upgraded Hitman 2 engine + the Hitman 2 expansion pack is $70. I want to play them but that pricing is just too high for games that are years old at this point. I could maybe see myself being willing to spend $30 on Hitman 2 with the Hitman 1 levels included, but $70 is just too much. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 January 2021