By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Crash Bandicoot vs Spyro

Crash Bandicoot 7 53.85%

Spyro 6 46.15%

Total:13

Wow, 600 million played Minecraft at one point or another. That’s insane.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

ironmanDX said:
shikamaru317 said:

My Series X was supposed to arrive today and didn't. When they first shipped it they said delivery Sunday, then yesterday they changed it to Monday. All day today it said it would be delivered by 8 PM, but never showed up, and now Amazon is saying it will be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. So much for Amazon Prime 2 day shipping, shipped on Friday, might not show up until Tuesday or Wednesday (they used US Postal Service instead of Fedex or UPS). Better show up tomorrow, I'm ready to see what it can do.

The anticipation must be through the roof.

For sure. Worst thing is, it doesn't look like it is going to arrive today either. This 2 day shipping has now been going on for for more than 4 days; package has gone through 5 different Amazon and carrier facilities, 1 of which it sat in for for a full 24 hours before leaving. It left an Amazon facility in my state this morning at 1 AM but never showed up as arrived at my local post office even though it takes only about 3 hours to drive from where the Amazon facility is to my local post office, which means that my local post office received the package this morning but didn't process it and send it out on today's parcel delivery trucks most likely. Screw Amazon for using slow US Postal Service for a 2 day delivery instead of Fedex or UPS. Sigh.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 November 2020

What’s stopping you from saying, okay, Xbox is an app, it has minimum hardware specs, and we’re just going to run it on a smart TV?

I think you’re going to see that in the next 12 months. I don’t think anything is going to stop us from doing that. I thought what you said about the TV was spot on. What we used to call a TV was a CRT that’s just throwing an image on the back of a piece of glass that I’m looking at. Now, as you said, a TV is really more of a game console stuffed behind a screen that has an app platform and a Bluetooth stack and a streaming capability. Is it really a TV anymore or is it just the form and function of the devices that we used to have around our TV, consolidated into the one big screen that I’m looking at?

I do want to talk about the notion of gaming shifting away from the hardware. You launched some hardware. You’re going to ship a lot [of hardware]. When do you make the decision to say, the development of the console is done, we’re moving on to figuring out how to manufacture a million of them and put them in stores and ship them?

No, no, no. We started manufacturing late summer. We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip. We were a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units. We started in late summer

How do you pay out developers? I’m a developer, I make a game, I say I’m going to put it in Game Pass, a customer pays [you] $14.99 a month. How do you decide how much to pay me, the developer?

Our deals are, I’ll say, all over the place. That sounds unmanaged, but it’s really based on the developer’s need. One of the things that’s been cool to see is a developer, usually a smaller to mid-sized developer, might be starting a game and say, “hey, we’re willing to put this in Game Pass on our launch day if you guys will give us X dollars now.” What we can go do is, we’ll create a floor for them in terms of the success of their game. They know they’re going to get this return.

[In] certain cases, we’ll pay for the full production cost of the game. Then they get all the retail opportunity on top of Game Pass. They can go sell it on PlayStation, on Steam, and on Xbox, and on Switch. For them, they’ve protected themselves from any downside risk. The game is going to get made. Then they have all the retail upside, we have the opportunity for day and date. That would be a flat fee payment to a developer. Sometimes the developer’s more done with the game and it’s more just a transaction of, “Hey, we’ll put it in Game Pass if you’ll pay us this amount of money.”

Others want [agreements] more based on usage and monetization in whether it’s a store monetization that gets created through transactions, or usage. We’re open [to] experimenting with many different partners, because we don’t think we have it figured out. When we started, we had a model that was all based on usage. Most of the partners said, “Yeah, yeah, we understand that, but we don’t believe it, so just give us the money upfront.”

What goes through your head when the inevitable “people smashing my new console” is happening and you next phone call is with your retail partners to figure out how you can get them more?

To be honest, I love the industry I’m in. This is the job I love. My wife will tell me it’s the only job I’m qualified for, but this is definitely the job I love. But that tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it’s actually that, what you’re talking about.

I look at shipping a product, shipping a game, as one of the bravest things a team can do. You put your product out there, it gets analyzed and prodded and reviewed. It can’t defend itself. It’s an inanimate object. You can’t go on the internet and defend it. We’ve seen that way too many times. That never works.

When a team releases something into the market for the world to tear it apart on the internet — it’s just such a brave thing for a team to do. I’m never going to vote against any creative team or any product team to do poorly because I have a competitive product. It’s not in me. I don’t actually think it helps us in the long run in the industry.

But especially in the console space, there’s like a core of the core, that have, I think, taken it to a destructive level of, “I really want that to fail so the thing that I bought succeeds.” I’m saying on both sides. I’m not saying that it’s all people crushing Xboxes and everybody that loves Xbox is always completely inviting to all the PlayStation stuff. I’ve said before, that I find it distasteful, but maybe that is too light. I just really despise it. I don’t think we have to see others fail in order for us to achieve the goals. That’s not some kind of “kumbaya” thing. It’s actually real. We’re in the entertainment business. The biggest competitor we have is apathy over the products and services [and] games that we build.

We see that today. Everybody is doing well in the industry right now for the most part with the stay-at-home and the surge. That’s what we should be focused on as an industry. We’ve done it with things like cross-play and other things that we focused on breaking some of those tropes. But there is a core that just really hates the other consumer product. Man, that’s just so off-putting to me. Again, maybe that word is probably too light.

To me, it’s one of the worst things about our industry.

Game Pass payment is flexible as hell, that's extremely generous to developers, no wonder the vast majority of developers are loving it, Lol.

1. Payment upfront.

Or

2. Cover production costs.

Or

3. Usage & Monetisation.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 November 2020

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

Wasn't the Raven already on GWG? I definitely remember downloading it in the past, years ago.

MS really needs to sort out GWG, either get rid of it completely and lower the price of Gold, or lower it to 2 games per month with bigger, more recent games appearing like Sony did with PS+. They have far too many meh months, and this is one of the most meh months I've seen to date. Would be better if they gave the Xbox One version of Gat out of Hell instead of the outdated 360 version.

We wanted Halo at launch. We thought it would have been a real cultural moment for us as Xbox. Last time we had done that was the original Xbox and Halo: CE.

From a business standpoint, I’m selling every console I can build. It’s hard for me to point out how I would be selling more consoles today. I wouldn’t be.

[Halo] was a miss on our part. I wouldn’t change the decision based on the right game, [a] healthy situation for the team, and how they’re working. Absolutely, it’s something that we had planned for, Bonnie Ross who runs the studio and I, to have Halo there. In the long run, I think what’s going to happen is we’re going to get a better Halo game at a good time when people can actually get a console.

-

We’re building at full capacity for now, a few months. And we continue to. Units continue to hit the shelves. Demand is just incredibly high right now.

Because we’re going to be in this situation, probably into the spring, maybe not as tight as it is now, but demand is just really high, and we’re building.

-

So Halo Infinite is Spring at the earliest, aiming for when supply catches up with demand.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 November 2020

Ryuu96 said:

Console port when? xD