By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

Maybe they feel Epic is furhter ahead tech wise on Series X and PS5 compared to their own engine.  If the Matrix demo is something to go by, it could just mean that its cheaper and faster to go with Unreal 5 then trying to get their engine up to speed.  They may go back to their own engine depending on time and resources.  Also if they lost key people on engine development that could also be the case.  A lot of stuff went down during that Cyberpunk release and the fallout.

Wouldn't be surprised if this played into the decision, everyone in the industry knows Unreal Engine, they don't know RedEngine.

Is the next big consolidation in the gaming industry going to be for game engines?

Whenever we hear about issues with engines from gaming companies like DICE, Bethesda Game Studios, etc. a lot of peoples immediate reaction is "why don't they just go to unreal engine?"

Around the Network

I would rather not have everyone move to Unreal Engine, considering that Tim Sweeney is a bit of a dick and Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games.

Talk about a real monopoly if the entire industry relies on just one company for a game engine.

Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

Maybe they feel Epic is furhter ahead tech wise on Series X and PS5 compared to their own engine.  If the Matrix demo is something to go by, it could just mean that its cheaper and faster to go with Unreal 5 then trying to get their engine up to speed.  They may go back to their own engine depending on time and resources.  Also if they lost key people on engine development that could also be the case.  A lot of stuff went down during that Cyberpunk release and the fallout.

Wouldn't be surprised if this played into the decision, everyone in the industry knows Unreal Engine, they don't know RedEngine.

True, PC wise Redengine is pretty much a beast on just about every feature you could want but on the consoles not so much.  Its clear that Epic has a big lead in engine development when it comes to consoles and if CD lost key personnel it could take at least 2 years probably to ramp up someone new.

Ryuu96 said:

I wish Fallout got these levels of worldbuilding and lore. It's such a huge franchise that doesn't get any love outside of the games. At least we're finally getting a TV show out of it. 

The Outer Worlds Season Pass is on sale once more but come on, 20% off is laughable. Still too pricey for me.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

The Outer Worlds Season Pass is on sale once more but come on, 20% off is laughable. Still too pricey for me.

It is but you do get a decent chunk of extra content altogether. Well, if you're a completionist lol. The story campaigns for both DLC's will probably take about 8-10  hours altogether I'd say with completionists taking around 15 hours. Murder on Eridanos is MUCH more fun than Peril on Gorgon. 

Barozi said:

DLC never really gets particularly good sales tbh

Angelus said:
Barozi said:

That's definitely true for single DLCs. In case of season passes I wouldn't necessarily agree as Square-Enix and WB sell them dirt cheap usually (up to 90% or even 95% off) and other season passes from Ubisoft and Capcom aren't terribly expensive either (often up to 75% off).

In this case it's an "expansion pass" and not a season pass but I don't see why it shouldn't be at least 50% off eventually.

Feels like ages ago when I completed the game but it's only been 2 1/2 years and the latest DLC is 1 year old so maybe I'm just too impatient.

Ryuu96 said:

• Shareholder vote to approve Microsoft acquisition will be held on April 28, results expected on May 4
  • Publisher's board of directors encourages shareholders to vote in favour, majority needed for deal to close
  • If merger is not approved, Activision Blizzard warns stock will "decline significantly"

I'll post a copy of my voting form when I get it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Barozi said:
Angelus said:

That's definitely true for single DLCs. In case of season passes I wouldn't necessarily agree as Square-Enix and WB sell them dirt cheap usually (up to 90% or even 95% off) and other season passes from Ubisoft and Capcom aren't terribly expensive either (often up to 75% off).

In this case it's an "expansion pass" and not a season pass but I don't see why it shouldn't be at least 50% off eventually.

Feels like ages ago when I completed the game but it's only been 2 1/2 years and the latest DLC is 1 year old so maybe I'm just too impatient.

That's true! Batman Arkham Knight's season pass is INSANE!!!! The amount of content you get with that season pass is absolutely worth it at the regular $20 price, but it goes on sale very often for $5.