By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - The Biggest Launch in Xbox History

Post Your Series X Impressions: Has It Matched Your Expectations?

Exceeded Them 11 32.35%

Matched Them 13 38.24%

Below Them 10 29.41%

Total:34
jason1637 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not so certain on Motorsport reboot in 2021 personally. According to an interview, it only began full development in December 2019, before that they were mainly working on the new ForzaTech engine and working on DLC for Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4. A November 2021 release would give it less than 2 years of full development, and since they're starting over from scratch with all new tracks and all new car models instead of reusing tracks and cars from Motorsport 5-7, they'll need extra dev time to get enough cars and tracks ready to satisfy people, they don't want to run into a Motorsport 5 situation again with critics attacking the game for not having enough cars and tracks on release. 

In theory at least, Horizon 5 should have been in development longer, assuming they put it into full production as soon as Horizon 4 released, September 2018. So Playground could get a cross-gen Horizon 5 running on the old build of ForzaTech out in 2021, but if they decided to wait on Turn 10 to finish the new build of ForzaTech, and engine that wasn't ready until late 2019, we might not see any Forza game in 2021 sadly. 

Once you've updated your engine a Forza game should be pretty easy to develop. I'd be very disappointed and surprised if it skips 2021. They already have all the car assests and tracks from a whole generation of Forza games to go from.

That's the thing, they're not reusing any assets from last gen. This is a total reboot like Motorsport 5 was, they're starting from scratch building all new car models and all new tracks for the new engine. Motorsport 5 released as a reboot with 2 years of development and only had 200 cars and 17 tracks at release, and the critics weren't happy about it, ended up getting a 79 meta, the lowest in the Forza series. Maybe they could manage say 350 cars and 22 tracks or something like that for a 2021 Motorsport if they rely heavily on contract work, or get assistance from Playground on the cars and tracks. Still not great, but would probably be good enough for a mid 80's meta. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:
Were not getting Horizon 5 next year. Probably motorsport. We were actually supposed to see Motorsport gameplay at E3 and iirc the Forza team said look forward to playing it later this year on stream. I assume covid and some people from the forza team pitching in with Infinite delayed the game to next year.

I'm not so certain on Motorsport reboot in 2021 personally. According to an interview, it only began full development in December 2019, before that they were mainly working on the new ForzaTech engine and working on DLC for Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4. A November 2021 release would give it less than 2 years of full development, and since they're starting over from scratch with all new tracks and all new car models instead of reusing tracks and cars from Motorsport 5-7, they'll need extra dev time to get enough cars and tracks ready to satisfy people, they don't want to run into a Motorsport 5 situation again with critics attacking the game for not having enough cars and tracks on release. 

In theory at least, Horizon 5 should have been in development longer, assuming they put it into full production as soon as Horizon 4 released, September 2018. So Playground could get a cross-gen Horizon 5 running on the old build of ForzaTech out in 2021, but if they decided to wait on Turn 10 to finish the new build of ForzaTech, and engine that wasn't ready until late 2019, we might not see any Forza game in 2021 sadly. 

This is the earliest we've ever seen a Forza. I know they said it's early in development, but considering they could pump out a new Forza every 2 year prior, I'm certain they can get another one out by next holiday.

I'm no game engineer, but I would find it strange if they scrapped everything they had prior and at least didn't use some as car/tracks assets for the new engine.  

Literally no idea what happened but thanks @DroidKnight

OT: Forza team is pretty sufficient, they can churn out games pretty well. Although they have lost a lot of people probably to Fable team, I still think they can get a Horizon 5 out next year. Motorbore can wait. 

Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY 

smroadkill15 said:
shikamaru317 said:

This is the earliest we've ever seen a Forza. I know they said it's early in development, but considering they could pump out a new Forza every 2 year prior, I'm certain they can get another one out by next holiday.

I'm no game engineer, but I would find it strange if they scrapped everything they had prior and at least didn't use some as car/tracks assets for the new engine.  

It's possible, I just worry that a 2021 Forza Motorsport might not have enough content to satisfy people, just like Motorsport 5. Whereas they spent all generation building up a list of 33 tracks and over 800 cars between Motorsport 5, 6, and 7, starting from scratch means that they pretty much have to scrap all of that work, just like they did when switching from Motorsport 4 to Motorsport 5. My understanding is that they are re-laser scanning all of the tracks and rebuilding them from the ground up for higher accuracy and better environmental graphics, which we already saw with Raceway Laguna Seca in the reveal trailer, Laguna Seca has been rebuilt from the ground up with improved track accuracy, improved ground and asphalt textures, improved lighting, much higher quality trees (no more 2D trees, they're 3D now), more and higher quality grass and other ground clutter, and other improvements. Same goes for cars, they seem to be rebuilding them from the ground up with higher polygon counts, with a focus on greater real world accuracy on both interiors and exteriors compared to previous Forza car models. It's alot of work for them to do, and the developers themselves said the game was still early development in a July interview. Even if they have alot of contract devs helping them, and Playground assisting as well by building car models that can work in both an Xbox Series/PC only Horizon 5 and Motorsport reboot, I just don't know if they can pull off a decent sized car and track list by the end of 2021, they'll probably need 400 cars and 23 tracks to satisfy people (200 more cars and 6 more tracks than Motorsport 5 had on release).

You can see the big improvements on Laguna Seca by comparing the track in the Forza Motorsport reboot reveal trailer to the Laguna Seca track in Motorsport 7, the difference is significant:

The 0:46 mark in the Forza Motorsport reboot reveal trailer and the 1:37 mark in the Forza 7 race is a good comparison point, both showing the same area of the track. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 17 October 2020

I agree Forza Motorsport needs more time of its being done from scratch. I think Horizon 5 is due next year. I think it’ll be cross gen like Horizon 2 was, with the extra year dev time really polishing the game.

Around the Network

Another reason why rushing out Forza Motorsport reboot would be a mistake: Polyphony, unlike Turn 10, decided to design their GT Sport cars and tracks so that they could be used in both GT Sport and GT7, with somewhat smaller graphical improvements being made to each GT Sport car model and track for GT7, so they basically already had a list of 300+ cars and 30+ tracks ready made to use in GT7, which they will have been further adding more cars and tracks to, built from the ground up for GT7. With Turn 10 suggesting in the interviews that they are rebuilding all tracks and cars from the ground up for Xbox Series/PC instead of reusing assets from Motorsport 5-7, rushing out Motorsport reboot with only around 2 years of full development would make for a very bad comparison between Forza Motorsport reboot and GT7 in terms of the amount of cars and tracks. Forza would likely have the edge in both car and track accuracy and graphics in such a scenario, since it would have no cross-gen cars or tracks, but GT7 could end up with more than twice the cars and tracks in such a comparison.

The whole point of rebooting Forza Motorsport was to bring Motorsport back to it's 90+ meta legacy, something that 5-7 all fell short of this past gen, and we already saw critics slam Motorsport 5 for not having enough content, so releasing Motorsport reboot without enough content would be a really bad way to go about reclaiming 90+ on meta again.

I think Motorsport is 2021, I can't see them having two Forza's announced at once, plus I have a feeling the reason for the recent mass hiring in the Horizon team was to replace staff who have moved over to Fable, I reckon the veterans of Playground are moving to Fable and Horizon will take on more college graduates to the team.

I also don't think Playground will release a Horizon on the old version of the engine, plus whenever a company says it's a new engine, what they mean really is the old engine has been updated, Slipspace for example is still Blam! engine at its core, I really doubt Turn 10 are re-doing all those tracks and cars from the ground up, likely since Forzatech is labelled as an update to the old engine a lot of the stuff from previous Forza's can simply be updated along with it, I don't know why they're need to do stuff from the ground up.

Plus, Turn 10 are extremely efficient.

Weren't they using FM7 as a template for some of the changes too? I feel like I read that somewhere, they were testing a few changes via FM7.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 17 October 2020

Went back and found my summary of the July interview with Forza Motorsport reboot creative director Chris Esaki:

-Confirms that the game was still in pre-production as late as August 2019 (which matches with an earlier interview that said that the game had just become playable as of December 2019)

-Says they are super proud of the graphics they were able to achieve on the in-engine trailer.

-Says they have new tools and tech which make track and car development much faster, so we shouldn't have to worry about a Forza Motorsport 5 like situation again hopefully, with a skimpy car and track list on release.

-Says the new Forza Motorsport logo was designed to bring the word Motorsport to the forefront instead of the word Forza, which was intentional, as they want to differentiate the Motorsport and Horizon series. This is the "most motorsport, motorsport they've ever built"

-Says the Motorsport reboot dev team is the most diverse dev team they've ever had in terms of development background (so not just devs with racing sim experience), which may mean the rumors of Motorsport having a full on story mode are true, and might also mean that the rumors of offroad and rally racing are true

-Says they are trying to make Motorsport feel more accessible and welcoming to the new players that Gamepass will inevitably bring in, without ruining the deep simulation element that the long time fans want (the rumored story mode may be part of their plans to get new players to stick around, since the classic racing sim fans don't care about story all that much)

-Says they've been working with certain members of the community to gather feedback from the entire community and implement it while building the game

-Says they have new tools and tech which allow them to make balancing changes and such on their end, without needing to release a full patch for the game which has to go through slow certification processes

-Confirms ray tracing tech for the new build of ForzaTech. Says the inclusion of ray tracing into the engine exposed too many flaws with their last gen car models, tracks, and character models, which is part of the reason why they are making all new car models, character models, and tracks instead of reusing and improving the assets from last gen

-Says they are using photogrammetry and new laser tools to capture tracks more realistically, which can be seen on Laguna Seca on the in-engine trailer.

As you can see from the last 2 points that I bolded, they are rebuilding cars and tracks from the ground up. However, I did forget that he said that they have new tools which will speed the development of cars and tracks compared to earlier Motorsport games. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I personally wouldn't rush it out in 2021 if I was them, the longer it stays in the oven, the more content it will have, and the higher the chance of reclaiming Forza Motorsports 90+ meta legacy. Move future Forza releases from September to maybe April or May to open up September for Halo Infinite and other future 1st party games on later years, with a cross-gen Horizon 5 Spring 2021 (which would give it 6-8 more months of development than Horizon 1-4 got) and then Motorsport reboot Spring 2022. After releasing the cross-gen Horizon 5, Playground can start building a brand new Xbox Series/PC/xCloud only Horizon 6 on the new build of ForzaTech with a planned release Spring 2024, with Turn 10 aiming for Spring 2025 for Motorsport reboot 2. Maybe they can try and get Asobo or Sumo to make an Xbox All-Stars Karting game to fill the 2023 gap year with no Forza release. 

Forza in Early 2022 would be fine since Forza 7 and Horizon 4 are already on Game Pass. Those will be two racing games to play for those buying a Series X|S.

My thinking is Forza 8 in either late 2021 or early 2022 and then Horizon 5 in 2023. I think that comes out after Fable, which I'm putting down for late 2022.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Welfare said:
Forza in Early 2022 would be fine since Forza 7 and Horizon 4 are already on Game Pass. Those will be two racing games to play for those buying a Series X|S.

My thinking is Forza 8 in either late 2021 or early 2022 and then Horizon 5 in 2023. I think that comes out after Fable, which I'm putting down for late 2022.

Oh damn! Welcome back. Have you on Xbox and you always top of my leaderboard. I still hope Horizon comes out earlier. But I agree with the other two. Hope you stick around, Ryuu's done a great job with the thread. 

Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY