By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard | Game Pass Reaches 25m Subscribers

What Activision-Blizzard IP Should Xbox Bring Back First?

Blur 0 0%

Guitar Hero 2 11.76%

Hexen 0 0%

King’s Quest 0 0%

Prototype 1 5.88%

Spyro the Dragon 2 11.76%

StarCraft 5 29.41%

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 17.65%

Other 4 23.53%

Total:17

343 just show big balls and remove BP entirely

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

General question for anyone to answer: what has been some of your favorite lead & supporting performances in a 2021 game? Even if its narrative isn't incredible, perhaps the acting talent polished it up a bit.

Basically the entire cast of GotG was excellent, and pretty much made that game.

shikamaru317 said:
konnichiwa said:

My nephew beated his COD battlepass with 150 games (a lot of nuketown), after 60 games in HI I am still at 16.  It is way slower. , just rework the sytem so you get XP for playing the game, turn those rewards for challenges into XP boosts and make the weekly challenge a community challenge so it may unlock for everyone who participated.  Would be way better, if this system still exist with the release I hope the game MP reviews will bomb.

I haven't really touched CoD in awhile, so I can't really comment on the Battlepass speed comparison there, but I do play Dead By Daylight, and I feel like the current Battlepass progression speed in Infinite after yesterday's update is comparable to Dead by Daylight's Battlepasses, and DbD is of course the 16th most played game on Xbox currently even though it is 5 years old and not a shooter. With the 4 free XP boosts per month from Gamepass Ultimate, plus the XP boosts you unlock within the battlepass itself, I think that the average player would not only be able to get through this 6 month season 1 Battlepass before the end of the season, but also the later 3 month battlepasses. Though I don't think we will see that happen, having the current progression by the time season 2 rolls around; 343 themselves said that yesterday's update is a band-aid for the progression system, they are listening to the feedback and are planning larger progression changes. I think we will see a system that gives you XP for playing well, either through medals or match score to XP conversion, long before Season 2 starts in May, probably even within a few weeks of release on Dec 8th we will see that, maybe even on release, depending on how hard it is to code such a system.

I personally don't see the current progression speed hurting reviews on Dec 6th, what is far more likely to hurt reviews is the current monetization. People are pissed about how the game is monetized currently, the $18 armor sets, the cheaper but still extremely expensive bundles that aren't a full armor set but things like color combos and gun attachments, the fact that we have Reach items in the store instead of in the Reach battlepass and likewise Yoroi items in the store instead of in the Fractures Tenrai event battlepass, the fact that the fan favorite Anubis set which is extremely popular costs $18 in Infinite, the fact that free players have barely any customization options, the fact that we can't earn store credits in game, the fact that 343 promised the most in-depth customization system ever for the series but all of that depth is locked behind a paywall (while the 3 body types don't actually resize the armor, a very lazy approach). You can see videos all over Youtube about how poor the monetization and customization is currently, threads all over Waypoint and Reddit, articles from gaming sites about how poor the the monetization and customization is. 

I fear that if 343 doesn't rectify the monetization issues before Dec 6th it will hurt MP reviews quite alot. The various issues surrounding the game have already caused a good bit of player drop-off, it was the #1 most played game on Xbox week one but has now fallen behind Fortnite and CoD Warzone on week 2 to land at #3 on Xbox most played, and it has also lost nearly 2/3rds of players since release on Steam. 343 really needs to make some significant progress asap. 

Tbh, the crazy high prices they have for items on the store is something they could totally get away with...if they just had enough cool shit in the BP (both the free and paid portions of it). The issue is simply that 343 currently provide players with a rather anemic amount of customization unless you're willing to pay through the nose. Free stuff only? Forget about it, you get next to nothing. Paid BP? You get stuff, but the variety isn't great, so you're probably still not going to meaningfully differentiate yourself from most others.

You can go back to what I said before...ok...I'm level 54 now...I just unlocked Kat's blue. Which is slighter lighter than cadet blue...which is just about as blue as the noble commander's blue you unlock 40 levels or so earlier. Is this unlock going to excite anyone? Of course not. I still look the same.

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

I haven't really touched CoD in awhile, so I can't really comment on the Battlepass speed comparison there, but I do play Dead By Daylight, and I feel like the current Battlepass progression speed in Infinite after yesterday's update is comparable to Dead by Daylight's Battlepasses, and DbD is of course the 16th most played game on Xbox currently even though it is 5 years old and not a shooter. With the 4 free XP boosts per month from Gamepass Ultimate, plus the XP boosts you unlock within the battlepass itself, I think that the average player would not only be able to get through this 6 month season 1 Battlepass before the end of the season, but also the later 3 month battlepasses. Though I don't think we will see that happen, having the current progression by the time season 2 rolls around; 343 themselves said that yesterday's update is a band-aid for the progression system, they are listening to the feedback and are planning larger progression changes. I think we will see a system that gives you XP for playing well, either through medals or match score to XP conversion, long before Season 2 starts in May, probably even within a few weeks of release on Dec 8th we will see that, maybe even on release, depending on how hard it is to code such a system.

I personally don't see the current progression speed hurting reviews on Dec 6th, what is far more likely to hurt reviews is the current monetization. People are pissed about how the game is monetized currently, the $18 armor sets, the cheaper but still extremely expensive bundles that aren't a full armor set but things like color combos and gun attachments, the fact that we have Reach items in the store instead of in the Reach battlepass and likewise Yoroi items in the store instead of in the Fractures Tenrai event battlepass, the fact that the fan favorite Anubis set which is extremely popular costs $18 in Infinite, the fact that free players have barely any customization options, the fact that we can't earn store credits in game, the fact that 343 promised the most in-depth customization system ever for the series but all of that depth is locked behind a paywall (while the 3 body types don't actually resize the armor, a very lazy approach). You can see videos all over Youtube about how poor the monetization and customization is currently, threads all over Waypoint and Reddit, articles from gaming sites about how poor the the monetization and customization is. 

I fear that if 343 doesn't rectify the monetization issues before Dec 6th it will hurt MP reviews quite alot. The various issues surrounding the game have already caused a good bit of player drop-off, it was the #1 most played game on Xbox week one but has now fallen behind Fortnite and CoD Warzone on week 2 to land at #3 on Xbox most played, and it has also lost nearly 2/3rds of players since release on Steam. 343 really needs to make some significant progress asap. 

Tbh, the crazy high prices they have for items on the store is something they could totally get away with...if they just had enough cool shit in the BP (both the free and paid portions of it). The issue is simply that 343 currently provide players with a rather anemic amount of customization unless you're willing to pay through the nose. Free stuff only? Forget about it, you get next to nothing. Paid BP? You get stuff, but the variety isn't great, so you're probably still not going to meaningfully differentiate yourself from most others.

You can go back to what I said before...ok...I'm level 54 now...I just unlocked Kat's blue. Which is slighter lighter than cadet blue...which is just about as blue as the noble commander's blue you unlock 40 levels or so earlier. Is this unlock going to excite anyone? Of course not. I still look the same.

Yeah, I'm honestly of the same opinion. If there was a crap ton of customization options and just cool skins, the backlash on the prices would be nowhere near as bad as they are. 

Not that it should be justification for the same prices as full on DLC's or season passes, but games like Valorant are much worse! They released a new bundle of 5 skins called Spectrum, and you're going to have to cough up $100 for all 5 skins, which is equivalent to $20 each, but that's only if you get them in the bundle. If you wanna purchase them individually, it'll cost more.

Angelus said:
coolbeans said:

General question for anyone to answer: what has been some of your favorite lead & supporting performances in a 2021 game? Even if its narrative isn't incredible, perhaps the acting talent polished it up a bit.

Basically the entire cast of GotG was excellent, and pretty much made that game.

Nice.  That's a good list to keep in mind.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

I honestly haven't played enough 2021 released games yet to comment, most of what I played this year released on previous years. I fully expect strong Halo performances, as per usual, especially from Jen Taylor as The Weapon/New Cortana and presumably also as Evil Cortana at some point during the game, and I also rather like what I have seen out of the pilot character in Infinite as well, and Steve Downes Chief also seems improved to me. Out of the 2021 The Game Awards best performance nominations, I quite liked Maggie Robertson as Lady Dimetrescu in Res 8, and suspect she might win the award, all of the Res 8 villains gave good performances really. I also suspect that Giancarlo Esposito gave a very good performance as the villain in Far Cry 6. 

How'd you rank the villains of Halo thus far?

• Halo CE - 343 Guilty Spark
  • Halo 2 - Tartarus, Regret
  • Halo 3 - Gravemind, Truth
  • Halo 4 - Didact
  • Halo 5 - Cortana
  • Halo Wars 1 - Ripa 'Moramee
  • Halo Wars 2 - Atriox

Trying to attach an antagonist for each one, Reach and ODST didn't really have a primary antagonist, a couple of games had more than one, of course Gravemind and Truth are also antagonist of Halo 2 but I feel the focus is more on Tartarus and Regret. Mercy isn't there because well, he was fucking useless, Lol, dude did next to nothing, got killed by a flood spore.

Part of me wants to defend Guilty Spark being called a villain but by pure definition of the word he is and he killed Johnson, I wouldn't call him evil though.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:

• Halo 4 - Didact
  • Halo 5 - Cortana
  • Halo Wars 2 - Atriox

Trying to attach an antagonist for each one, Reach and ODST didn't really have a primary antagonist, a couple of games had more than one, of course Gravemind and Truth are also antagonist of Halo 2 but I feel the focus is more on Tartarus and Regret. Mercy isn't there because well, he was fucking useless, Lol, dude did next to nothing, got killed by a flood spore.

Part of me wants to defend Guilty Spark being called a villain but by pure definition of the word he is and he killed Johnson, I wouldn't call him evil though.

Truth is, no Halo game to date has had a particularly compelling singular antagonist figure. I'd argue that the Bungie games didn't even really try. Sure, they had some key players for you to eliminate at various points, but none of them were presented in a "big bad" kinda way. They were just faces of a greater whole that needed to be overcome. They weren't true rivals to the player. Halo 2 got the closest, with Tartarus, as he definitely was a rival to the Arbiter, but Arbiter's arc is only half the story, and he's not even the series lead.

343 did try to create traditional antagonists that define the player's journey through their games, but they've basically botched it both times. The Didact gets unceremoniously disposed of, without so much as a boss fight, effectively wasting his entire build up throughout Halo 4. And then of course there's Cortana in Halo 5...a nice idea, in theory. In practice, it was too soon to pull this move, and undercut by pretty much everything else about Halo 5, not the least of which being that you spend entirely too much time away from Chief, and blue team. The personal dynamics that 343 wanted to play on aren't given the necessary time and depth to deliver the appropriate punch.

Halo Wars...I honestly don't remember a true Antagonist from the first game, but it's admittedly been a while since I've played it. Maybe I'm wrong here. As for the sequel...Atriox was damn cool...but he was also barely in the game. That really awesome cutscene of him that we've all seen 100 times by now...that's pretty much the extent of his direct involvement in the game. Total waste.

Ryuu96 said:

• Halo 4 - Didact
  • Halo 5 - Cortana
  • Halo Wars 2 - Atriox

A bit difficult to rank for me because it has been quite a few years since I played the campaign for any of these except for the 2 Halo Wars games which I played last year, but I'll try:

1. Gravemind- Excellent villain, still love that cutscene with him holding Chief and Arbiter in Halo 2

2. Atriox- Very well designed villain, both intimidating and far smarter than most brutes like Tartarus

3. Truth- Loved his evil speech in Halo 3 "You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking what, I wonder? That you might escape the coming fire? No. Your world shall burn until it's surface is but glass, and not even your demon will live to creep, blackened, from it's hole to mar the reflection of our passage."

4. Didact- Pretty good villain but needed a boss fight

5. 343 Guilty Spark- Little bastard killed Johnson, that alone makes him a good hateable villain.

6. Tartarus- Not as good as Atriox for sure but a cool boss fight

6. Cortana- Was not a fan of Brian Reed's decision to make her a villain in 5, was not what I wanted out of Halo 5 at all, but the duality of Chief's best friend/lover becoming the villain made her a passable villain

8. Regret- Barely remember him compared to Truth, so he can't have been very good. Did have a boss fight as I recall but I remember little of it, I think he had a floating chair that fired beam weapons at you. 

9. Ripa- Only played Halo Wars 1 like a year ago but I already forgot him, the protagonists of Halo Wars 1 were far more memorable than the villain.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 01 December 2021

My Ranking.

Truth/Gravemind > Atriox > Didact/Guilty Spark > Tartarus > Regret > Ripa > Cortana

Struggling to separate some of these and my ranking keeps changing the more I think on it, Lol.

Truth and Gravemind are at the top for me but specifically their Halo 2 counterparts, I think Halo 3 arguably ruined them both slightly but Truth far more than Gravemind, Truth in Halo 2 was like an evil mastermind, a deceiving backstabber who let Mercy die, always seemed to have a plan and played the politics brilliantly, then Halo 3 comes along and he sorta becomes...Dumb? Barely has a plan, becomes an old man shouting at the sky, seems reckless and rushed and it ruins his character for me a little.

Gravemind on the otherhand, I love The Flood, I think they're the best villain lore wise, Gravemind in H2 is so damn creepy and oozes atmosphere, an almost Lovecraftian monster which is immediately intimidating, I also love the way Gravemind speaks, Lol. You know he's smart, you know he's dangerous but again in Halo 3, ehh, I think he's still fine but Idk...Something feels different in his tone, it doesn't help that we don't bloody see him, except his tentacles which make him seem weak, his dialogue was better in Halo 2, he makes some questionable choices in Halo 3 such as bringing all his forces to The Ark, why? We was told one Flood spore is enough to destroy an entire planet, he could have sent a few ships to random human colonies which are less defended and created armies all over the Galaxy which wouldn't have taken away anything from his army, he loses his intimidation factor, he's ranting at Chief while Chief just strolls into his bowels and takes back Cortana with ease, Lol, he fails so hard at backstabbing Chief after he aids him to defeat Truth.

Halo 3's story is a rushed mess.

Atriox I do agree was underused in Halo Wars 2 but on the other hand, he steals every scene he is in from his presence alone, I vividly remember his Origin Story which gives us quite a bit on his backstory (who he is, why he formed The Banished, why he is a threat), then his fight with Spartan Red where we see him utterly dominate them, leading the fight to show his troops that the Spartans aren't anything to be afraid of, him keeping them alive both as a warning to leave The Ark while at the same time following them to see where they're located and his entry into Awakening the Nightmare to scold the Brute Brothers, Lol. There ain't a scene which Atriox is bad in so far Imo, he simply needs more screentime.

It could be said that we know a lot about Atriox's character by how The Banished operate too, we know Atriox and by extension, The Banished, aren't trying to make Humanity extinct, they even accept Human soldiers, Atriox tried to avoid unnecessary fights, he gave Spirit of Fire multiple chances to leave, he expresses no hatred for Humanity, they're simply in the way, The Banished species are more on equal terms than The Covenant species were, sure, there's still some bad blood between species and we see that in HW2 and Halo Infinite dialogue but it's not The Covenant bad where they threatened to extinct multiple species unless they signed aboard and there was a very obvious ranking order in The Covenant, Elites and Prophets at the top, every other species is dirt, in contrast to The Banished which has Brute, Elite, even Hunter leaders, one of Atriox's main commanders is an Elite and it seems in Infinite, Escharum is actually friends with Jega which was unheard of in The Covenant.

It will only take for me, I think, one more game with Atriox as the primary antagonist to put him ahead of Truth and Gravemind.

Didact is awesome in the books, intimidating, a tactical genius who crushed armies, in Halo 4 his dialogue Imo is among the best across all of Halo, I frigging love the way he speaks, how he articulates, his monologue at the end of Halo 4 was perfect and his introduction was great too, the immediate tossing aside of Chief without a care for who he is, you could tell this dude is powerful immediately but it was sorta ruined by the end with his crappy boss fight and I sorta feel like for a tactical genius his plans in Halo 4 seemed a little rushed, get the composer, go to Earth, kill all of Humanity, do it in a week, Lol but when I think about it, he would have succeeded and killed all of Earth if not for Cortana's space magic so maybe his plan wasn't so bad...

Guilty Spark is perhaps the least evil of all these characters with a tragic backstory, formerly a human who died in battle, placed into a robot, designated to watch over a Halo ring for 40,000 years all alone, following only protocol set by the Forerunners and logic, he is obviously a psychopath but you can sorta see where he is coming from, he's genuinely convinced he is doing the right thing, he's been programmed to believe that the Flood are so utterly dangerous that the only option is to fire the Halo Rings for the greater good, something his creators did, then a green man in a suit comes along and blows his Ring up in a few days, Lol, it is easy to see why the man is a little upset and frankly, a broken person and his terminals in CEA are well worth a watch.

Tartarus was cool in his scenes, oozed confidence and his design was great too, I wish we saw more of his character though and he's a bit of a naive follower of Truth, not exactly smart in some aspects but he's a worthy adversary to Thel.

Regret is fine, a decent side villain, at least he didn't go out like a punk like Mercy did, I don't have much else to say.

Ripa...Sorry, I simply can't remember him that well and I played Halo Wars 1 for the first time ever only recently, all I can remember is that he looked awesome and he was an Arbiter, I should maybe replay Halo Wars 1, Lol.

Cortana was a bad villain, on paper he becoming a villain is fine, her rampancy is unavoidable but it was awfully executed and it was done too soon after Halo 4 which sorta ruined a lot of Halo 4's plot points.