By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
DeusXmachina said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gerfrf3qo9I

Nice, hopefully this means that we'll be getting the first one in the next few months

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

3 Sony game studio acquisitions in one week, can't say I expected that, though 2 of the 3 studios were already Sony 2nd party and not a big surprise. Sony doesn't seem to want to go down in the acquisition battle without a fight, though it is ultimately Microsoft who will win since they have alot more money to spend on acquisitions than Sony does. I suspect we will be hearing about some more Xbox acquisitions within a month or two, now that Sony is starting to play their hand.

Yeah as an Xbox fan, nothing changes for us. And honestly, for PS fans nothing will change either.

Sony is the only one who might profit in the future in case games from these devs turn out to be huge successes. If not, the impact will be neglectable.

DeusXmachina said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gerfrf3qo9I

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they mention Series X|S but not PS5? Either mistake or Xbox getting exclusive/early next gen version?

shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:

Yeah as an Xbox fan, nothing changes for us. And honestly, for PS fans nothing will change either.

Sony is the only one who might profit in the future in case games from these devs turn out to be huge successes. If not, the impact will be neglectable.

What is most noteworthy is that Nixxes specializes in PC ports. Clearly Sony has plans to release alot more of their exclusives on PC in the future, possibly even day one PC releases like MS does. It is becoming more and more obvious to me that PC is looking like the gaming platform of the future, free online play and soon you will be able to play both Xbox and Sony exclusives on PC, negating the need to by a console just to play exclusives (aside from Switch and it's successor of course). The only downsides I still see with PC gaming at this point are:

• Huge hardware costs currently due to the semi-conductor shortage and crypto mining
  • More frequent upgrading required to play the latest games than with console (for instance the gaming PC I built in 2015 with specs that were better than base Xbox One feel behind the minimum requirements for the latest AAA games by 2019, whereas Xbox One can still play those games)
  • Difficulty in building a power gaming PC that takes up as little space as a console (especially the amount of power that MS packed into the 414 square inch Series X) with a similarly quiet noise generation profile

Honestly these days I'd put game prices as a negative for PC gaming at least when it comes to the UK anyway mostly because the market has been trapped by 100% digital and seen massive price hikes over the past 5 years where as console still gets the usually cheaper option with the physical market and that's before even counting the resale value of physical games to add in more cost reductions.

shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:

What is most noteworthy is that Nixxes specializes in PC ports. Clearly Sony has plans to release alot more of their exclusives on PC in the future, possibly even day one PC releases like MS does. It is becoming more and more obvious to me that PC is looking like the gaming platform of the future, free online play and soon you will be able to play both Xbox and Sony exclusives on PC, negating the need to by a console just to play exclusives (aside from Switch and it's successor of course). The only downsides I still see with PC gaming at this point are:

• Huge hardware costs currently due to the semi-conductor shortage and crypto mining
  • More frequent upgrading required to play the latest games than with console (for instance the gaming PC I built in 2015 with specs that were better than base Xbox One fell behind the minimum requirements for many of the latest AAA games by 2020, whereas Xbox One can still play those games)
  • Difficulty in building a similarly powerful gaming PC that takes up as little space as a console (especially the amount of power that MS packed into the 414 square inch Series X) with a similarly quiet noise generation profile
  • Being forced to play competitive multiplayer shooters on mouse/keyboard if you want to do well

PC was my main platform for over a decade mostly due to pirated games.

Even back then I was pissed off about frequent crashes due to hardware issues and some games outright refusing to start.
When you had something running you spent a shitload of time trying out different combinations of settings to see at which graphics levels the game is still playable.
Then you notice that you can only play on high settings but not on very high which will likely cause you to upgrade either your RAM, CPU or GPU even when you buy only moderately superior ones. I doubt there was a year where I didn't upgrade at least one of those along with larger and larger HDDs. It's a neverending cycle and in the end you spend a lot more money than if you'd just went with a console, even including mid-gen console upgrade.

I will get myself a new PC in the near future as the old one I'm using for YouTube, other kinds of video streaming and my stored movies and music is still the same PC that I used for PC gaming in the mid to late 2000s. CPU and GPU are really slow and as a result I can't watch any stream above 720p60FPS without severe video issues and no video on my HDD above 1080p. Also the GPU doesn't support 4k resolution for my 75" 4kTV either.
It won't be a powerhouse (I'm looking at a budget solution for ~€500) but it should be enough to run the few PC exclusive Game Pass games I'm interested in (mostly the AoE games) with a decent performance.
The possibility to play some of Sony's games is a nice bonus but considering they won't have achievements, I'm not even sure if I would - even if they were free.

Around the Network

Kojima gonna make what Crackdown 3 should have been.

shikamaru317 said:

3 Sony game studio acquisitions in one week, can't say I expected that, though 2 of the 3 studios were already Sony 2nd party and not a big surprise. Sony doesn't seem to want to go down in the acquisition battle without a fight, though it is ultimately Microsoft who will win since they have alot more money to spend on acquisitions than Sony does. I suspect we will be hearing about some more Xbox acquisitions within a month or two, now that Sony is starting to play their hand.

Whats the 3rd studio.

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

Whats the 3rd studio.

Housemarque

Bluepoint (leaked early by Sony themselves with a picture, probably being announced officially tomorrow, one per day)

Nixxes

I do not think Bluepoint is part of Sony.  I remember Sony making an offer before and Bluepoint turned them down.  Probably was someone getting a little to happy.  Anyway until I see it done, I believe BluePoint will remain independent.

shikamaru317 said:

Microsoft needs to work on adding music for dynamic backgrounds and then open it up to developers to make game specific backgrounds like Sony did on PS4.

I am not sure about the music part but definitely open it up to studios to produce their own dynamic backgrounds.  It would also be great if it can be in 4K instead of 1080P.

trunkswd said:
shikamaru317 said:

Xbox Series has now had a new 2nd biggest week since launch in Japan, selling 4,113 units, more than the roughly 3,900 units the week after launch last year. Xbox Series has also now passed Xbox One launch aligned in Japan.

I know compared to PS5 and Switch, Xbox Series X|S sales aren't impressive. But compared to the Xbox One it is doing fantastic. 

MS's executives kept saying that the shortages would last until June, so they might have been trying to improve production by around this date (aka, adding production lines). I think we will get a better picture in a couple of days when they announce the rankings for the UK June charts.