By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God Dang VR Is Awesome!

Are you excited for PSVR2?

Yea. I already own PSVR. 24 61.54%

Yea. I don't already own PSVR. 6 15.38%

Only a little. I own the PSVR. 1 2.56%

Only a little. I don't own the PSVR. 0 0%

No. VR isn't my bag, baby. 8 20.51%

Total:39
HoloDust said:
thismeintiel said:

The only thing that sucks about them is the refresh rate.  90hz is the best.  Though, the image must be super clear. 

I believe the PSVR is a simulated 120hz, which is supposed to help with motion sickness.  I think PSVR2 is going to be native 120hz at 5K.  The price of PIMAX's 5K, $699, does give me hope that Sony can get a $300-$400 PSVR2 out sometime in 2020-2021.  Sony can make better deals for parts, and don't have to profit as much on each one. They're also working on a wireless one, too.

Yeah, 90Hz in 8K models - I think it's got something to do with how wide horizontal FOV is, since 5K model can do 120Hz, but only 90Hz in "limited FOV mode".

To be honest, 90Hz on HTC Vive Pro never bothered me, I do however get some motion sickness in games where I need to move continuously in game via stick without moving in real life, so I stay away from them (or switch to different control scheme if available), but my kids seem fine playing Pavlov all the time and not getting motion sickness, so I guess I just haven't got my VR legs yet.

Oh.  So, 90hz might be good enough then.  And I definitely know how you feel with the analog thing.  I tried playing the demo of Persistence.  I figured I'd try it with the normal FPS controls.  It started making me feel sick after awhile.  Have to try it on the snap mode.

BTW, I just tried the demos for Superhot VR and Job Simulator.  Superhot was freaking awesome.  You don't move, just lean your body in real life.  And the enemies only move when you do.  You think it would be easy with that kind of premise, but it's actually pretty challenging.  Had another blown away moment when the demo ended and it had me sitting at a computer setup in a small room.  I just wanted to reach out and touch everything.  At least I got to do that in Job Simulator. 

gergroy said:
If they can improve the technology it could be good. However, the technology isn’t even close to being good right now. There is a lot of work to be done. If VR is still a thing in 10 years I may be interested. My psvr just gathers dust.

100% disagree with you here.  VR is good.  Really good depending on the game.  It's just not great.  Once we get higher resolution headsets that do their best to get rid of the mura effect, it will be.  Add in wireless and it would be damn near perfect.

Around the Network

Half Life Alyx is the only VR game I see worth buying into VR currently. However VR is clearly not worth the price for anything else.

thismeintiel said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, 90Hz in 8K models - I think it's got something to do with how wide horizontal FOV is, since 5K model can do 120Hz, but only 90Hz in "limited FOV mode".

To be honest, 90Hz on HTC Vive Pro never bothered me, I do however get some motion sickness in games where I need to move continuously in game via stick without moving in real life, so I stay away from them (or switch to different control scheme if available), but my kids seem fine playing Pavlov all the time and not getting motion sickness, so I guess I just haven't got my VR legs yet.

Oh.  So, 90hz might be good enough then.  And I definitely know how you feel with the analog thing.  I tried playing the demo of Persistence.  I figured I'd try it with the normal FPS controls.  It started making me feel sick after awhile.  Have to try it on the snap mode.

BTW, I just tried the demos for Superhot VR and Job Simulator.  Superhot was freaking awesome.  You don't move, just lean your body in real life.  And the enemies only move when you do.  You think it would be easy with that kind of premise, but it's actually pretty challenging.  Had another blown away moment when the demo ended and it had me sitting at a computer setup in a small room.  I just wanted to reach out and touch everything.  At least I got to do that in Job Simulator. 

Yeah, Superhot is amazing game, I first played "regular" version, then tried VR - there are somewhat different, but both great experiences.

Azzanation said:
Half Life Alyx is the only VR game I see worth buying into VR currently. However VR is clearly not worth the price for anything else.

VR ain't worth buying, if you really really only can enjoy one or two games. But even then you have the option to rent a VR headset for a month for an affordable price:

https://www.grover.com/de-de/products/playstation-vr-camera-bundle

https://www.grover.com/de-de/products/virtual-reality-glasses-rift-vr-with-2-touch-controllers-bundle

https://www.grover.com/de-de/products/oculus-rift-s-vr

So for the price of one game you can enjoy VR for a full month (shipping costs in both directions included). On PC you can subscribe to Viveport Infinity for a month (€15) or use the free 14-days-trial and have access to hundreds of VR games and VR experiences: https://www.viveport.com/infinity

But if you enjoy more than a handful of VR games, the costs for buying one VR headset are totally worth it. Here are the 80+ titles of PSVR and PCVR:

HoloDust said:
thismeintiel said:

Yeah, Superhot is amazing game, I first played "regular" version, then tried VR - there are somewhat different, but both great experiences.

I assume in the regular version you actually move around with the analog stick.  I don't think I'd be able to enjoy that as much now that I have played the VR version.  It reminded me of the fun I had playing Police 911 at the arcades.  Ducking and leaning to avoid bullets.  And being sucked out of the VR world within the game, to be placed in the real world within the was just incredible.  I felt like I was really in that little room with the computer desk in front of me.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
HoloDust said:

I assume in the regular version you actually move around with the analog stick.  I don't think I'd be able to enjoy that as much now that I have played the VR version.  It reminded me of the fun I had playing Police 911 at the arcades.  Ducking and leaning to avoid bullets.  And being sucked out of the VR world within the game, to be placed in the real world within the was just incredible.  I felt like I was really in that little room with the computer desk in front of me.

Same. I kinda didn't want to play Superhot but somehow wound up getting it for PSVR (I don't even remember buying it!). It was incredible. I later got it for free on Xbox One but I can't imagine playing it with a controller, now.

Superhot VR and Superhot are different games with different levels, both worth playing.

d21lewis said:
thismeintiel said:

Same. I kinda didn't want to play Superhot but somehow wound up getting it for PSVR (I don't even remember buying it!). It was incredible. I later got it for free on Xbox One but I can't imagine playing it with a controller, now.

VR has ruined us, lol.

Downloading those 5 games and a bunch of demos, now.  Astro Bots is probably where I'm going to start.  Can't wait to see all the other crazy levels.

If you like racing, Dirt Rally has the whole game in VR just like Wipeout. It's a bit less intense as Wipeout but you will need your vr legs first.

Statik is an awesome puzzler, very polished, cleverly made. Play it sitting with the DS4.
I expect you to die is very good.

There's so many! I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 VR and Blood and truth.

thismeintiel said:
HoloDust said:

Well, I have to be honest, I actually prefer regular version, there's much more moving in space throughout its levels, but I've really enjoyed both.

Witching Tower comes to mind as one of better experiences, if you like solving puzzles - it's on the shorter side, but also it's fairly cheap.

And I always tend to recommend Arizona Sunshine as well, though price is quite high for what is fairly short game.