By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will we be fooled again by a gorgeous trailer ?

Marketing is marketing. Trying to sell a product that's yet to be finished can lead to this situations, especially when combined with publisher's need to hype everything up. Considering how big preorders are and how fast the value of digital content decreases, there's no real reason for publishers to stop this. Hell, sometimes it's inevitable because the game is not finished and they are trying to sell you a product way before completion, so they have to show you something. With that said, they are still at fault for trying to sell the pelt before hunting the bear. Best advice is always to wait, there are thousands of games out there, no need to preorder anything anymore (unless they are limited retail releases, and even then those are niche titles that rarely promise the world with their marketing). Trailers can promise you the world, but if you wait a month to buy the game, you'll see if they are telling the truth.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Amnesia said:
HollyGamer said:

I did a time stamp , DF said it's running in real time and it's indeed using Xbox SX as baseline and exclusives, it means it's possible the final games will look like that.

At the really end of the 9th gen maybe, but I keep my bet for now on the fact that it will be downgraded a lot and just look a little bit superior than the PS4 Pro / XB1X maxed out.

I'm going to disagree but only because this wasn't the case with Hellblade 1 when it was first revealed vs released.

If anything the graphics were vastly superior in the final release build.

This in 2014

vs This in 2017

Amnesia said:
HollyGamer said:

I did a time stamp , DF said it's running in real time and it's indeed using Xbox SX as baseline and exclusives, it means it's possible the final games will look like that.

At the really end of the 9th gen maybe, but I keep my bet for now on the fact that it will be downgraded a lot and just look a little bit superior than the PS4 Pro / XB1X maxed out.

The problem is there is no games made using Xbox One X or PS4 pro as baseline. All games coming to PS4 pro and Xbox One X are running PS4 and Xbox One original games (using base console as baseline).

So you have seen nothing. 

Amnesia said:
HollyGamer said:

Just look this Unity demo made using  GTX 9800 hardware which is equal to PS4 pro and less powerful than Xbox One X, this demo look far better than any games coming to 8th gen consoles. Because this demo  are made using GTX 9800 as baseline.

Imagine if games are made using  Xbox Seires X as baseline , well you don't have to imagine , Hell Blade is made using Xbox Series X as baseline. 

You have to remember what the terms mean when they are shown off. In-engine is actually running on the HW, or supposed to be, but it's using extra effects the gameplay sections won't have or will have pared down. The system is rendering predetermined events, as in cutscenes, and has the extra power to do so. Personally, I can't wait to see what the first party devs at Sony pull off on the PS5.

Around the Network
Amnesia said:
HollyGamer said:

lol when did that ever happen?
True next gen games always look noticeably better than their predecessors on last gen systems. Not just "a little bit".

thismeintiel said:
You have to remember what the terms mean when they are shown off. In-engine is actually running on the HW, or supposed to be, but it's using extra effects the gameplay sections won't have or will have pared down. The system is rendering predetermined events, as in cutscenes, and has the extra power to do so. Personally, I can't wait to see what the first party devs at Sony pull off on the PS5.

Me either , I cannot wait to see another KillZone Shadow Fall moment again like in 2013, when people doubt the games run on real time LOL. 

I don't think about it much because I am more hyped about the games and the potential of a significant specs boost in general.

Will they achieve the exact visuals of the trailers? Maybe some will and some won't. Either way, it should be a significant upgrade.

We never see the best of the hardware at launch either. Eventually they may create games that look even better than those trailers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Ninja Theory is pretty square when it comes to what they say they will do. They're amazing.

But keep in mind that there's also times where, over time, what is initially shown is nowhere near the potential the hardware reaches further down the line. That's a problem the Xbox 360 faced. Everything they showed looked like a minor leap and everything the PS3 showed looked so much more advanced. For the first year, people just called the Xbox 360 another Dreamcast (half step towards real next gen).

There's plenty of trailers that are misleading, even after the hardware launches. We just have to be vigilant. Don't believe everything you see but don't doubt everything, either.

I don't think the intentions of these developers is to fool us, it's just that often times things happen. By that I mean hardware plans change, devkits often times don't fully represent what the actual release hardware will be and based off of those changes, decisions have to be made. Heck, even changes in how the software is programmed can change the course of the visuals of a game.

That being said regarding Hell Blade I think the jump in GPU and CPU warrants what Ninja Theory displayed at the game awards. Game artists are getting better and better as more software techniques and new software in general pop up. It's just polygons, maps, and moving some vertices around, it's not that unbelievable. The lighting also does more for these games than most think. I also think Ninja Theory has been working on this for quite some time so I think what we saw is essentially what we'll get.

Once we see what Sony has to show off I think we'll be able to start piecing together the plausibility of how early 9th gen games will look. So, while I do think there will be games that look different than their alpha or beta footage, I do think it's to be expected and not necessarily deceptive marketing. That type of marketing leads you on until you buy it.

Nintendo eventually showed off Breath of the Wild in its true form and let people play it before release. If the game got no pre-release footage and was just Nintendo putting out renders of gameplay that wouldn't be possible on their base hardware then I'd be concerned about their integrity but that obviously wasn't the case.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 14 December 2019