By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Next Gen has arrived, PC gamer also need an upgrade. Xbox Series X specs will be the minimum requirement for next 7 years

Keiji said:
HollyGamer said:

So Xbox Series X has been announce and it has 12 teraflop RDNA performance that's equal to RTX 2080 Super more or less, plus Ryzen 3000 8 core 16 thread and SSD Nvme as standard. I bet what we see is the new bare minimum for  multiplatform games that will be coming to, Windows Store,  Steam , Epic Store , GOG , etc etc. 

But to mitigate some bad port games, usually it's saver to  upgrade to a slightly better hardware then the consoles spec, of course as PC gamer if you want playing on PC is better buying more expensives part then the consoles,  because you buy PC to have more than just games that look the same, but want to have better performance than the consoles.

So minimum requirement are:

GPU Nvidia 2080 super  is bare minimum but if you want more premium it's probably buy 2080 Ti or wait for AMD RX 5800 or RX 5900 or perhaps wait for Ampere with 3080 or 3080 Ti.

CPU probably going to be big, 8 core , 16 thread will be standard and minimum requirement 

SSD perhaps a little bit leeway , but Nvme should be the most obvious although SATA 3 is still playable but SSD is must for next gen, 

For RAM , i think 16 to 32GB of DDR4 RAM is suffice for now.  

Of course that if you are looking for 4K gaming, there is still be some people who play on 1440p or even 1080p. But Next year Nvidia will release new GPU based on 7nm+ , we will see new standard even on PC gaming. 4k will be standard 

So prepare your money 

I already have that. But still getting a PS5 for the exclusives.

Great for you, i will buy PS5 or Xbox Series X and wait for PC this time around, and wait for Zen 4 and RTX Ampere , or whatever Nvidia cook in 2 years ahead. 

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
next gen consoles will perform better than the majority of pc out there. never before has there been so much gulf before. the way consoles are made means the games will look incredible even compared to a much more expensive pc a 2080 equivilant in a console is mighty. just look at some of the visuals the ps4 produced and thats only a hd 7950 equivilant

Indeed it's great, because the games are optimize for the machine and build and designing to utilize every bit of spec of single console using very low level API. They also using some trick to mask some affect . That's why why i will buy both PC and consoles as well. But PC i will wait for another 2 years until AMD release Zen 4 and Nvidia release their Ampere GPU.

For consoles i will buy PS5 first and letter on Xbox Series X. Depend on who got the exclusives first (probably PS5).   

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

You don't need an SSD for Star Citizen. Nor will SSD's ever be "crucial" for the PC.

That's your choice, if you want a stuttering performance and break the immersion. 

Who said there will be stuttering? Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

goopy20 said:

The fact of the matter is that in 2020 the next gen starts and with it comes next gen games. We don't know if those games will start pouring out next year or 2 years later. But do you honestly think that developers will recommend their customers to play those games -- that are build from the ground up to take full advantage of a rumored RTX2080, Ryzen CPU and optimized for SSD -- on a current mainstream gaming pc with a GTX1060? If that's the case the Xbox One X would still be perfectly fine and no one would need to buy a next gen console.

Do you honestly believe that next-gen console games will be extracting every single piece of capability out of the new consoles on day 0 and not be built with older platforms in mind... Like... I dunno... What has happened every single console generation ever?

goopy20 said:

Also, if you look at the top 10 best looking games of 2015, almost all of them did actually have a GTX660 (or higher) listed as the minimum requirement like: Battlefront, Batman AK, Just Cause 3, Witcher 3, Mad Max etc. So it only makes sense that in 2021 we'll be seeing a lot of multiplatform games with a RTX 2*** or AMD equivalent as the minimum requirement. Especially if the rumors are true and GTA6 is coming out in 2021 and skip current gen.

System requirements are just a guideline.
You can most of those games on older hardware. I.E. Whatever the GTX 660 will run the older GTX 580 will run for example.

Heck, hows about we throw a GPU that is 3~ years OLDER than the Xbox One and Playstation 4 (Geforce GTX 480 is now 9~ years old!) and throw The Witcher 3 at it?

Would you look at that.

I could do the same for the other games you listed as well... Like StarWars Battlefront on the old GTX 480.

And so on... And so on... But you get the gist.

goopy20 said:

Ok, fine. AC Unity came out in 2014 and already skipped last gen consoles. It also caused quite a stir among pc gamers because of the "crazy" pc requirements at that time...

Assassin’s Creed Unity’s crazy minimum PC specs: $500 GPU, $200 CPU, 50GB storage

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192849-assassins-creed-unitys-crazy-minimum-pc-specs-500-gpu-200-cpu-50gb-storage

Every platform gets shit ports.

There have been Xbox One games that ran better than the Playstation 4 equivalent like Assassins Creed Unity. (Can we just agree that it's a dodgy game in general?)
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/194042-weird-assassins-creed-unity-runs-better-on-the-xbox-one-than-the-ps4

And there are other titles as well which perform better on the Playstation 4 Pro verses the Xbox One X.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't happen, but it does... And it's not the fault of the platform or the hardware, it's the developers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

That's your choice, if you want a stuttering performance and break the immersion. 

Who said there will be stuttering? Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

goopy20 said:

Also, if you look at the top 10 best looking games of 2015, almost all of them did actually have a GTX660 (or higher) listed as the minimum requirement like: Battlefront, Batman AK, Just Cause 3, Witcher 3, Mad Max etc. So it only makes sense that in 2021 we'll be seeing a lot of multiplatform games with a RTX 2*** or AMD equivalent as the minimum requirement. Especially if the rumors are true and GTA6 is coming out in 2021 and skip current gen.

You can most of those games on older hardware. I.E. Whatever the GTX 660 will run the older GTX 580 will run for example.

Heck, hows about we throw a GPU that is 3~ years OLDER than the Xbox One and Playstation 4 (Geforce GTX 480 is now 9~ years old!) and throw The Witcher 3 at it?

This video prove it that stuttering exist on HDD on top of super slow loading time, Alex explained very detailed 

And for older GPU that can play Witcher 3 , of course you can play on older GPU, but it need to have the same performance with modern GPU, for instance PS4/Xbox One has HD 7850 more or less, then you can play on PC with GTX 580 or overclocked GTX 480, because HD 7850 are equal in term of performance with both GPU. Or even if you insist want to run on even low performance GPU, it still can play as well but the graphic and performance will be hampered.  

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 16 December 2019

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

This video prove it that stuttering exist on HDD on top of super slow loading time, Alex explained very detailed 

You have an inability to read lately, you really do need to work on that.

I will quote myself so you can't miss it:

Pemalite said:

Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

In-fact, SSD's aren't even the fastest type of storage on PC. - Need me to educate you?

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Pemalite said:

Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

In-fact, SSD's aren't even the fastest type of storage on PC. - Need me to educate you?

Please educate me, a better storage solution then SSD that cost the same with SSD on normal gaming PC not on corporate level ?  

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

Please educate me, a better storage solution then SSD that cost the same with SSD on normal gaming PC not on corporate level ?  

I never said anything about cost, so don't shift the goal post. - But if you must know... It's a storage solution that can be used on every PC to some extent, so it's essentially free.

And it would be entirely consumer grade.

It's called a "Ram Drive".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

I will be upgrading to 128GB of Ram in my next rig. And I will be using it as a Ram drive whilst retaining mass storage with mechanical disks, it will absolutely obliterate the SSD in any rig or console for years to come.

There are also expansion cards which allows you to load up a PCI-E card with Ram to do a similar thing if that tickles your fancy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPM9NC/?tag=tec06d-20
And:
https://www.amazon.com/ACARD-ANS-9010BA-Dynamic-Modules-Included/dp/B00VMS9ER4

This is one of the benefits of not being constrained by a consoles tiny amount of Ram.

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

I never said anything about cost, so don't shift the goal post. - But if you must know... It's a storage solution that can be used on every PC to some extent, so it's essentially free.

And it would be entirely consumer grade.

It's called a "Ram Drive".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

I will be upgrading to 128GB of Ram in my next rig. And I will be using it as a Ram drive whilst retaining mass storage with mechanical disks, it will absolutely obliterate the SSD in any rig or console for years to come.

There are also expansion cards which allows you to load up a PCI-E card with Ram to do a similar thing if that tickles your fancy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPM9NC/?tag=tec06d-20
And:
https://www.amazon.com/ACARD-ANS-9010BA-Dynamic-Modules-Included/dp/B00VMS9ER4

This is one of the benefits of not being constrained by a consoles tiny amount of Ram.

OK then it's great , so you are suggesting PC using RAM drive as requirement now??? OK cool 

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

Ok, fine. AC Unity came out in 2014 and already skipped last gen consoles. It also caused quite a stir among pc gamers because of the "crazy" pc requirements at that time...

Assassin’s Creed Unity’s crazy minimum PC specs: $500 GPU, $200 CPU, 50GB storage

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192849-assassins-creed-unitys-crazy-minimum-pc-specs-500-gpu-200-cpu-50gb-storage

It also cause quite a stir among console gamers with slowdowns to 20 fps, 900p resolution on the then new PS4 and Xbox One and many many bugs: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis

AC Unity is a very bad example... and I'm sure you know that.

Sure, it was a poorly optimized game but that is besides the point. The point is that a year after the ps4/Xone launched, we were already seeing AAA games come out that skipped last gen consoles. And in 2015 almost all major franchises skipped ps3/360 like: Battlefront, Batman AK, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Bloodborne,  Project Cars, Just Cause 3. Wolfenstein Old Blood, Evolve, Mortal Kombat X etc.

The fact remains that in 2015 people had to upgrade their GTX460 and 560 GPU's (which were still pretty common) if they wanted to play all the major AAA titles at similar graphics settings as the ps4/Xone versions. Like I said, same thing will happen next gen and the only thing we don't know is to what kind of GPU/CPU we will need to upgrade. Personally, a RTX2080 sounds like a bit of a stretch as that's a $1000 gpu and will probably be on par with a RTX3070 or RTX4060. Just like a GTX580 from 2010 is pretty much equal to a GTX1060 that came out 6 years later... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPgsTldoI0   

Last edited by goopy20 - on 17 December 2019

Eh, I'll be fine. I'm getting a new laptop every 2-3 years anyway. My GTX 1070 should be more than enough to keep me going until laptops with RTX 3000 come out or something. So I'm really not too worried. Plus my RAM laughs about the new consoles. With 32 GB of system memory and 8 Gigs of VRAM, I'm very well prepared for games of the next gen. And I switched to SSD only a year ago already.

I don't think PC gamers with a somewhat recent rig need to upgrade until 2022 or something, unless you really want to always put all the sliders to the far right. But then again, console games never run at max settings, which won't change with next-gen, so there's that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.