By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 7 December 2019 - Cyber Monday Week

Switch is on Fire!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch down YoY 88,444 due to Smash Bros.  That is actually a very good hold, but it also had Cyber Monday on it's side.  Will be interesting to see how it holds up for the rest of December.

XB1 actually outsold PS4 in NA this week.  This will probably be XB1's last signficant week.  Kind of ironic it did "well" during the same week that Switch passed it's lifetime total.  XB1 really is on it's way out, while Switch sales are still accelerating.  This holiday really does belong to Switch.

With many sub-50k weeks this year, I'm interested to see how Xbone will fare next year in the weekly charts.

trunkswd said:
GuyDuke said:
I can't believe how fast you are to publish new numbers. It's like numbers from 4 days ago... very impressed by your work, trunks. Thank you very much.

This is where the hardware figures were several years ago when ioi was on the ball updating them every week. He fell off in updating the numbers as they got further and further behind. The hope is with having the numbers up to date is that it will improve the number of views for the site. 

You are doing an incredible job, and yes i actually keep seeing more and more talks about VGChartz numbers online in forums and twitter, only thing is sometimes they only take a screenshot of the numbers and not the link to the site.

Anyway, nice that Switch was adjusted up last week, means it's even more so one of the best weeks ever for BF on top of that it not including cyber monday numbers. Actually i just checked and yea it was the best non-launch week of the gen. That's CRAZY how it did that without even raising much of a finger (same bundle as last year with no price cut) and no cyber monday. Really has a chance to stay in line with last year even without a major release or even do better which is insane considering it had a pretty great december in 2018.

Last edited by xMetroid - on 11 December 2019

Wow, Switch did 1.8M last week. If I'm right that's more than Wii has done within one week (1.4M). Is there any other way than "Tools > Hardware by Date" to check last weeks hardware numbers? Are there any plans to update "Charts > Weekly > Global"? I know that software is the reason for not updating it. But anyway, hardware could be updated. Sorry for off-topic.

trunkswd said:
xMetroid said:

You are doing an incredible job, and yes i actually keep seeing more and more talks about VGChartz numbers online in forums and twitter, only thing is sometimes they only take a screenshot of the numbers and not the link to the site.

Anyway, nice that Switch was adjusted up last week, means it's even more so one of the best weeks ever for BF on top of that it not including cyber monday numbers. Actually i just checked and yea it was the best non-launch week of the gen. That's CRAZY how it did that without even raising much of a finger (same bundle as last year with no price cut) and no cyber monday. Really has a chance to stay in line with last year even without a major release or even do better which is insane considering it had a pretty great december in 2018.

Thank you! I've been apart of the site for over a decade and on the staff for over 9 years. Seeing it's decline in recent years wasn't the most fun. But having hardware figures up to date makes it feel more alive. The hope is what we have planned when Talon returns will help the site even more. 

Good to know! But yeah the site has been getting significantly better since the past few months imo

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch down YoY 88,444 due to Smash Bros.  That is actually a very good hold, but it also had Cyber Monday on it's side.  Will be interesting to see how it holds up for the rest of December.

XB1 actually outsold PS4 in NA this week.  This will probably be XB1's last signficant week.  Kind of ironic it did "well" during the same week that Switch passed it's lifetime total.  XB1 really is on it's way out, while Switch sales are still accelerating.  This holiday really does belong to Switch.

With many sub-50k weeks this year, I'm interested to see how Xbone will fare next year in the weekly charts.

It's not going to be pretty.  Considering how old XB1 is, an average YoY drop around 50% is likely.  It wouldn't be so bad if they had a successor released this year.  But with XB1 being their main console it's going to be pretty embarrassing. 

Radek said:
I don't think Xbone can reach 50 million lifetime with Scarlett coming in less than a year.

I dunno, it's only 5 million off that now, and it still has the rest of the holiday season then next year, I think it'll get there, albiet barely.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

It's not going to be pretty.  Considering how old XB1 is, an average YoY drop around 50% is likely.  It wouldn't be so bad if they had a successor released this year.  But with XB1 being their main console it's going to be pretty embarrassing. 

Yeah it really feels like it should've been replaced this year, but then that would've given Sony a whole year to figure out how to counter and out-shine them, and they would've been Dreamcasted when PS5 hit.

curl-6 said:
Radek said:
I don't think Xbone can reach 50 million lifetime with Scarlett coming in less than a year.

I dunno, it's only 5 million off that now, and it still has the rest of the holiday season then next year, I think it'll get there, albiet barely.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Yeah it really feels like it should've been replaced this year, but then that would've given Sony a whole year to figure out how to counter and out-shine them, and they would've been Dreamcasted when PS5 hit.

Nah, I think Sony should have released this year too.  But it is going to look worse for Microsoft, because their sales are already low.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "Dreamcasted".  The only company that did in the Dreamcast was Sega, because they ran their company poorly and their arcade business was also not producing money.  Releasing early actually is an advantage though.  That is another reason why Microsoft should have released Scarlett this year.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Nah, I think Sony should have released this year too.  But it is going to look worse for Microsoft, because their sales are already low.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "Dreamcasted".  The only company that did in the Dreamcast was Sega, because they ran their company poorly and their arcade business was also not producing money.  Releasing early actually is an advantage though.  That is another reason why Microsoft should have released Scarlett this year.

I think we've actually already had this discussion before in another thread, so I'd better not repeat and derail things.

siebensus4 said:
Wow, Switch did 1.8M last week. If I'm right that's more than Wii has done within one week (1.4M). Is there any other way than "Tools > Hardware by Date" to check last weeks hardware numbers? Are there any plans to update "Charts > Weekly > Global"? I know that software is the reason for not updating it. But anyway, hardware could be updated. Sorry for off-topic.

But this represents still a weak performance compared to the 3 millions that Wii and DS sold at the same moment in 2008's black friday.

I know we can't really compare because Wii and DS was two different machine with two different line up, but still we can say that the Switch family is nowhere close to replicate the performance of 10 years ago.