By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 7 December 2019 - Cyber Monday Week

SpokenTruth said:
Amnesia said:

But this represents still a weak performance compared to the 3 millions that Wii and DS sold at the same moment in 2008's black friday.

I know we can't really compare because Wii and DS was two different machine with two different line up, but still we can say that the Switch family is nowhere close to replicate the performance of 10 years ago.

I hope you understand how illogical that claim is.  For your metric to be valid (combined Wii and DS figures), it would require that each Wii and DS sold were completely individual with no overlap.  Further, it would require you ignore the fact that purely portable systems such as the DS are often bought for individuals in each home rather than a single device for the entire home as 'home consoles' are typically purchased for.

Anecdotally, my family had a Wii and 4 DS's but we only have 1 Switch. You are suggesting that I need to buy 4 more Switches for my family to keep the same rate of ownership to validate your metric for Switch sales performance.

To say nothing about how purely portable consoles have console upgrades that result in 1 owner owning multiple devices themselves....DS to DS Lite.  And maybe even to DSi. Or an XL model.  The Switch will not have that same level of repeat purchases.

Hmmm mm. Ok I agree with what you explained