By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MLB The Show goes multiplatform

PAOerfulone said:
Hiku said:

I see. Then it sounds like the same situation.

And I was referring to the Minecraft brand.
In 2020 Minecraft Dungeons will be released on all platforms.

Not entirely the same.

Minecraft is 100% a Microsoft property since they own Mojang. Whatever happens with Minecraft is entirely up to Microsoft.
SIE San Diego makes The Show games, but the license is owned by Major League Baseball.

The two likely scenarios are: 1) MLB wanted them to take the game multiplatform so that they could sell more copies and if Sony refused, they would have taken the license elsewhere. EA or 2K Sports the most likely candidates. 2) MLB gave Sony a deal they couldn't refuse and decided they'd make way more money in the long term to release them multiplat than to stay exclusive. Either way, it's the MLB's call, not Sony's.

Yeah, I didn't imagine Sony owned MLB.

The situation I was referring to was if both Sony and Microsoft are producing games for other consoles. Or if the license to make the game went to another (third party) publisher.

As for the circumstances that lead to that situation, I'm more interested in the end result.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 December 2019

Around the Network

And now it has been announced that Predator, another game published by Sony will launch on PC too at the same time as PS4.

They warned us. They told us their MP/competitive games were going to start appearing in other platforms....and in my opinion, it's a great idea. Like i said before, is just a matter of time they announce Dreams launching on PC too. And i won't be surprised if Gran Turismo ends on PC too in the near future...

Like with those games, MLB The Show will sell mainly on playstation platforms and any extra sale on those others platforms will be just profits. I guess maybe the MLB wanted this but i'm pretty sure that if Sony didn't want it too either, multiplatform wouldn't happened.

SanAndreasX said:
Signalstar said:
Hell when you make the best product in town why not spread the love around. If EA or 2K were competent at making baseball games, Nintendo and Xbox gamers could enjoy playing baseball without using Sony's talent.

In the case of Nintendo, if EA even bothered to make a Switch version of MLB it'd just be a no-effort rehash of an old version, not that a new version wouldn't also be crappy per their standards. 2K probably would make a decent Switch MLB game. Nintendo made the best baseball games on its own hardware back when they still had majority ownership of the Mariners.

I had such a blast with ken Griffey jr. Baseball on the SNES. That's the last good baseball game I've played on consoles. All I can say is, either thanks to sony, or mlb for making the deal happen, because I've been dying for a good baseball game on switch.  

Now comes the death of the awful RBI games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

colafitte said:
It begins...........

Next will be Dreams and Gran Turismo coming to PC, or even other platforms. Sony already said they were thinking about expanding their MP games to other platforms. I guess MLB The Show was the best 1st candidate to do this.

I will not be surprised if Microsoft ends doing the same thing about some of their games too. Pretty sure Nintendo will not do it.

I've said many time in the past I think some 1st party content should go multiplat. Especially if its not really a system seller. The series will increase in profits and it has no real impact on any console.

The Show seemed like a logical move because its praised but just doesent sell that great. Its also capitalizing on the lack of competition in the market. Meanwhile GT sells great but has competition.

They have already allowed some content on PC. Pretty sure their approval was needed for Beyond, Heavy Rain and Detroit. Then you have to consider they often share 3rd party exclusives with PC because they dont see it as a direct competitor.

Nintendo has a more unique audience, they are less motivated to share content.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
twintail said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's because MLB owns the license.  You can't make an MLB game without the license.

This was understood by both your comment and my reply.

It doesnt answer my question though. No one else is making or even trying to make an MLB game. Having a high quality game, even exclusive, is better than no game at all.

Hence, why would they play hard ball in this scenario? Basically, I question whether this move by Sony is because they were forced to. But maybe it is as simple as MLB deciding to remove the licence. Seema like quite the gamble imho.

This doesn't make any sense.  Without the license, how could any developer try to make an MLB game?  You don't think some other studio would pipe up if the MLB license was up for grabs?

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

My guess is MLB wanted more sales for their game, like NFL and NBA. Sony is probably fine with that since MLB is a decent seller, but it's not one their big exclusives. Either way, both are about to make bank on this deal.

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

thismeintiel said:
My guess is MLB wanted more sales for their game, like NFL and NBA. Sony is probably fine with that since MLB is a decent seller, but it's not one their big exclusives. Either way, both are about to make bank on this deal.

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

I doubt they'll do any timed exclusivity deals given that sports games are seasonal.  They need to coincide with the sport itself to maximize sales potential.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

thismeintiel said:

If the goal is to increase software sales, which is a motivation of going multiplat, that's about the fucking worse idea ever.

Maybe Sony can pay themselves for timed exclusivity?

Instead, maybe Sony should pay themselves to get DLC, missions and armor earlier than other platforms.

OR MAYBE, they should just release the game as a multiplat and be happy with all the extra money they make from that. Sounds crazy, but I think it could work.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SpokenTruth said:
twintail said:

This was understood by both your comment and my reply.

It doesnt answer my question though. No one else is making or even trying to make an MLB game. Having a high quality game, even exclusive, is better than no game at all.

Hence, why would they play hard ball in this scenario? Basically, I question whether this move by Sony is because they were forced to. But maybe it is as simple as MLB deciding to remove the licence. Seema like quite the gamble imho.

This doesn't make any sense.  Without the license, how could any developer try to make an MLB game?  You don't think some other studio would pipe up if the MLB license was up for grabs?

The license has always been up for grab. The MLB license has never been an exclusive sports license like Fifa (unless this has changed but to my knowledge it hasnt).

If another studio was serious about making MLB games, they would have already stepped up to make one. 

But they haven't, because no one else is serious enough to utilise the license like Sony are.

So no, there isn't much incentive to try force Sony to do anything because a well praised exclusive ia better than no game at all.