By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MLB The Show goes multiplatform

colafitte said:
It begins...........

Next will be Dreams and Gran Turismo coming to PC, or even other platforms. Sony already said they were thinking about expanding their MP games to other platforms. I guess MLB The Show was the best 1st candidate to do this.

I will not be surprised if Microsoft ends doing the same thing about some of their games too. Pretty sure Nintendo will not do it.

I've said many time in the past I think some 1st party content should go multiplat. Especially if its not really a system seller. The series will increase in profits and it has no real impact on any console.

The Show seemed like a logical move because its praised but just doesent sell that great. Its also capitalizing on the lack of competition in the market. Meanwhile GT sells great but has competition.

They have already allowed some content on PC. Pretty sure their approval was needed for Beyond, Heavy Rain and Detroit. Then you have to consider they often share 3rd party exclusives with PC because they dont see it as a direct competitor.

Nintendo has a more unique audience, they are less motivated to share content.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

My guess is MLB wanted more sales for their game, like NFL and NBA. Sony is probably fine with that since MLB is a decent seller, but it's not one their big exclusives. Either way, both are about to make bank on this deal.

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

thismeintiel said:

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

If the goal is to increase software sales, which is a motivation of going multiplat, that's about the fucking worse idea ever.

Maybe Sony can pay themselves for timed exclusivity?

Instead, maybe Sony should pay themselves to get DLC, missions and armor earlier than other platforms.

OR MAYBE, they should just release the game as a multiplat and be happy with all the extra money they make from that. Sounds crazy, but I think it could work.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

twintail said:

The license has always been up for grab. The MLB license has never been an exclusive sports license like Fifa (unless this has changed but to my knowledge it hasnt).

If another studio was serious about making MLB games, they would have already stepped up to make one. 

But they haven't, because no one else is serious enough to utilise the license like Sony are.

So no, there isn't much incentive to try force Sony to do anything because a well praised exclusive ia better than no game at all.

Exactly.  This idea people are trying to push that the MLB was threatening to pry a license away from Sony that was never exclusive in the past and dangle it in front of a huge pack of publishers that were just begging to develop an MLB game doesn't make a lot of sense.  It's possible that things have changed, certainly, but I see no reason to assume that.  Speculation along that line would need some kind of collaboration because recent history doesn't support it.  

SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:
My guess is MLB wanted more sales for their game, like NFL and NBA. Sony is probably fine with that since MLB is a decent seller, but it's not one their big exclusives. Either way, both are about to make bank on this deal.

I doubt they'll do any timed exclusivity deals given that sports games are seasonal.  They need to coincide with the sport itself to maximize sales potential.

Sony's MLB games launch in March, which is the beginning of the baseball season.  It ends 7 months later, in October.  It would still be inside the season if they did hold of on the other consoles.  Not saying they will, but that would be a smart move if they want to push their own console sales.  Selling to the other consoles would be icing on the cake.  Seriously, what other MLB game our they going to play?  The answer is none.

Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

If the goal is to increase software sales, which is a motivation of going multiplat, that's about the fucking worse idea ever.

Maybe Sony can pay themselves for timed exclusivity?

Instead, maybe Sony should pay themselves to get DLC, missions and armor earlier than other platforms.

OR MAYBE, they should just release the game as a multiplat and be happy with all the extra money they make from that. Sounds crazy, but I think it could work.

There is absolutely no way to decrease SW sales, save make a shitty product.  As I mentioned above, Sony's is the only MLB game on the market.  If Nintendo or MS fans want a MLB game, they'll have to get Sony's.  Doing timed exclusivity for a few months would definitely help push their own console sales and probably wouldn't hurt the mutiplat sales much.  Of course, like I also mentioned above, not saying they will go down that path.  Just a possibility.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 11 December 2019

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony's MLB games launch in March, which is the beginning of the baseball season.  It ends 7 months later, in October.  It would still be inside the season if they did hold of on the other consoles.  Not saying they will, but that would be a smart move if they want to push their own console sales.  Selling to the other consoles would be icing on the cake.  Seriously, what other MLB game our they going to play?  The answer is none.

Do you seriously see that as a good idea on anybody's part?

Like I said, if they want to push their console first and foremost, it would be. If they are only worried about the increased SW sales, they'll launch simultaneously. Again, even if Nintendo or MS fans are upset at having to wait a couple of months to get the game, if they really want a MLB title, that will have to be the one.

Not a fan of MLB myself but this is great. A series like this should have been been tied to one console. Baseball is "America's favorite pastime". You can't tie that to one brand.

Great news for those that choose to use non PlayStation devices.

I really hope that they will also expand the series to VR and make it available on PSVR, Vive, Rift, and Index. The pitcher batter showdown is prime material for VR. Home Run Derby VR is a nice arcade experience, but we really need a full sim VR experience.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Since the tweeter doesn't say which platform it could even be PS4 and PS5 kkkk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PAOerfulone said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That's fantastic, I predicted this would happen years ago but not under Sony. I thought EA or 2K would take over.

My logic was this is a strong series but doesent sell well enough. Its one of the the lower selling annual sports games.

Should be good sales given Xbox is popular in the US and this series only sells well in the US.

It only releases in the U.S. and Australia. Which baffles me because baseball is the most popular sport in Japan. They have their own professional league that does extremely well. I'm not sure how popular Major League Baseball is over there, but I'd think The Show could sell respectably well if they released there.

If they increased the studio by like a half team they could make a Japanese League the Show and get some extra profit in Japan even some console sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."