By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MLB The Show goes multiplatform

colafitte said:
And now it has been announced that Predator, another game published by Sony will launch on PC too at the same time as PS4.

They warned us. They told us their MP/competitive games were going to start appearing in other platforms....and in my opinion, it's a great idea. Like i said before, is just a matter of time they announce Dreams launching on PC too. And i won't be surprised if Gran Turismo ends on PC too in the near future...
.

Warned seems like a really loaded word to describe the situation if you ask me. 

That said, they did say they were looking into expanding MP/ GaaS games, and MLB could be a showing for that.

Predator def falls into that category but honestly, there has been so little interest in this Predator game that having it on PC is probably best.

As for GT, I highly doubt that ever moves. It's still a premiere IP for Sony that will move consoles. 

Dreams makes sense since its effectively a development tool, but that could go either way.



Around the Network
twintail said:
SpokenTruth said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Without the license, how could any developer try to make an MLB game?  You don't think some other studio would pipe up if the MLB license was up for grabs?

The license has always been up for grab. The MLB license has never been an exclusive sports license like Fifa (unless this has changed but to my knowledge it hasnt).

If another studio was serious about making MLB games, they would have already stepped up to make one. 

But they haven't, because no one else is serious enough to utilise the license like Sony are.

So no, there isn't much incentive to try force Sony to do anything because a well praised exclusive ia better than no game at all.

After some research, you are correct.  The license was not exclusive to Sony.  The reason for the lack of interest by other developers is the cost of the MLB license was apparently way too high.  2K found that out the hard way.

Any other leverage the MLB would have would be to offer the extension on the MLB license to Sony at a reduced rate if they went multiplat.  Else they could reduce the rate for other developers.

Truth is, none of us knows and we might never get the truth.  This is simply my best speculation.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

twintail said:

The license has always been up for grab. The MLB license has never been an exclusive sports license like Fifa (unless this has changed but to my knowledge it hasnt).

If another studio was serious about making MLB games, they would have already stepped up to make one. 

But they haven't, because no one else is serious enough to utilise the license like Sony are.

So no, there isn't much incentive to try force Sony to do anything because a well praised exclusive ia better than no game at all.

Exactly.  This idea people are trying to push that the MLB was threatening to pry a license away from Sony that was never exclusive in the past and dangle it in front of a huge pack of publishers that were just begging to develop an MLB game doesn't make a lot of sense.  It's possible that things have changed, certainly, but I see no reason to assume that.  Speculation along that line would need some kind of collaboration because recent history doesn't support it.  



pokoko said:
twintail said:

The license has always been up for grab. The MLB license has never been an exclusive sports license like Fifa (unless this has changed but to my knowledge it hasnt).

If another studio was serious about making MLB games, they would have already stepped up to make one. 

But they haven't, because no one else is serious enough to utilise the license like Sony are.

So no, there isn't much incentive to try force Sony to do anything because a well praised exclusive ia better than no game at all.

Exactly.  This idea people are trying to push that the MLB was threatening to pry a license away from Sony that was never exclusive in the past and dangle it in front of a huge pack of publishers that were just begging to develop an MLB game doesn't make a lot of sense.  It's possible that things have changed, certainly, but I see no reason to assume that.  Speculation along that line would need some kind of collaboration because recent history doesn't support it.  

I think most people went that way, myself included, merely on the grounds that most licenses are exclusive.  It's rare for a license to be open for all like this.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
pokoko said:

Exactly.  This idea people are trying to push that the MLB was threatening to pry a license away from Sony that was never exclusive in the past and dangle it in front of a huge pack of publishers that were just begging to develop an MLB game doesn't make a lot of sense.  It's possible that things have changed, certainly, but I see no reason to assume that.  Speculation along that line would need some kind of collaboration because recent history doesn't support it.  

I think most people went that way, myself included, merely on the grounds that most licenses are exclusive.  It's rare for a license to be open for all like this.

That's a fair point, no worries



Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:
My guess is MLB wanted more sales for their game, like NFL and NBA. Sony is probably fine with that since MLB is a decent seller, but it's not one their big exclusives. Either way, both are about to make bank on this deal.

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

I doubt they'll do any timed exclusivity deals given that sports games are seasonal.  They need to coincide with the sport itself to maximize sales potential.

Sony's MLB games launch in March, which is the beginning of the baseball season.  It ends 7 months later, in October.  It would still be inside the season if they did hold of on the other consoles.  Not saying they will, but that would be a smart move if they want to push their own console sales.  Selling to the other consoles would be icing on the cake.  Seriously, what other MLB game our they going to play?  The answer is none.

Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

I do wonder if they will release at the same time, or if MLB will let them have 3-6 months exclusivity to help push the PS5.

If the goal is to increase software sales, which is a motivation of going multiplat, that's about the fucking worse idea ever.

Maybe Sony can pay themselves for timed exclusivity?

Instead, maybe Sony should pay themselves to get DLC, missions and armor earlier than other platforms.

OR MAYBE, they should just release the game as a multiplat and be happy with all the extra money they make from that. Sounds crazy, but I think it could work.

There is absolutely no way to decrease SW sales, save make a shitty product.  As I mentioned above, Sony's is the only MLB game on the market.  If Nintendo or MS fans want a MLB game, they'll have to get Sony's.  Doing timed exclusivity for a few months would definitely help push their own console sales and probably wouldn't hurt the mutiplat sales much.  Of course, like I also mentioned above, not saying they will go down that path.  Just a possibility.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 11 December 2019

thismeintiel said:
SpokenTruth said:

I doubt they'll do any timed exclusivity deals given that sports games are seasonal.  They need to coincide with the sport itself to maximize sales potential.

Sony's MLB games launch in March, which is the beginning of the baseball season.  It ends 7 months later, in October.  It would still be inside the season if they did hold of on the other consoles.  Not saying they will, but that would be a smart move if they want to push their own console sales.  Selling to the other consoles would be icing on the cake.  Seriously, what other MLB game our they going to play?  The answer is none.

Do you seriously see that as a good idea on anybody's part?



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony's MLB games launch in March, which is the beginning of the baseball season.  It ends 7 months later, in October.  It would still be inside the season if they did hold of on the other consoles.  Not saying they will, but that would be a smart move if they want to push their own console sales.  Selling to the other consoles would be icing on the cake.  Seriously, what other MLB game our they going to play?  The answer is none.

Do you seriously see that as a good idea on anybody's part?

Like I said, if they want to push their console first and foremost, it would be. If they are only worried about the increased SW sales, they'll launch simultaneously. Again, even if Nintendo or MS fans are upset at having to wait a couple of months to get the game, if they really want a MLB title, that will have to be the one.



Not a fan of MLB myself but this is great. A series like this should have been been tied to one console. Baseball is "America's favorite pastime". You can't tie that to one brand.



Twitter: @d21lewis

Great news for those that choose to use non PlayStation devices.

I really hope that they will also expand the series to VR and make it available on PSVR, Vive, Rift, and Index. The pitcher batter showdown is prime material for VR. Home Run Derby VR is a nice arcade experience, but we really need a full sim VR experience.



Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL