By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch launches in China on December 10th

Did the Switch do better than PS4 in South Korea? Because aren't SK and China have similar gaming culture?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

It's too little too late ...

Is New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe really the Switch's ONLY official launch title available for sale in China ?!

If so then that's extremely depressing to find that the Switch is facing the same situation the iQue branded systems did which was a huge lack of localized releases ... 

Jranation said:
Did the Switch do better than PS4 in South Korea? Because aren't SK and China have similar gaming culture?

Essentially, the Switch is selling faster than the PS4, launch aligned. 

There was a report late last year that showed that the PS4 was at 1.5m units sold in China, so the bar for success is pretty low.  I'm personally expecting the Switch to outpace the PS4 in China since, in-general, it seems to be a product that caters more towards Eastern tastes rather than Western tastes.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 04 December 2019

Will VGChartz be able to track Chinese Switch sales?

curl-6 said:
Will VGChartz be able to track Chinese Switch sales?

I'm sure that Daniel analyst will share some numbers. If not, guess we'll have to wait until Nintendo's.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Will VGChartz be able to track  home consoles , handled and or hybrid sales on China mainland ?

I have fixed your statement. I have been asked this question  since 3 years ago. China and the rest on South East Asia are very important market in the future including India. 

I feel like China is the sleeping giant of the gaming industry. Nothing has woken it up ever, and I'm not certain if anything will, especially with their recent restriction of gaming time/money spent.

SpokenTruth said:

Very different from those situations. Those consoles and games were way more expensive too (iQue Player was ¥498 which is over $4k back in 2003 and it could only be purchased at iQue Depot or their online store).  And the game issue isn't Nintendo but China.  They are super picky about what can and cannot be released.

And New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe comes with the console.

No, only a demo of NSMBUD comes with the Switch ... 

The Switch's launch in China is worse than the other systems which at least either came with Neverwinter Online or King of Wushu and were very relevant titles in the Chinese market ... 

China may have a notorious approval process but other console manufacturers are doing a much better job of coping with it than Nintendo ever has and possibly now ... 

Earlier iQue systems might have had distribution issues but what ultimately doomed them were largely a lack of localized releases. This is why I do not comprehend the rationale of Nintendo doing better than their competitors in China when such a fundamental issue keeps rearing it's head ... 

HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:
Will VGChartz be able to track  home consoles , handled and or hybrid sales on China mainland ?

I have fixed your statement. I have been asked this question  since 3 years ago. China and the rest on South East Asia are very important market in the future including India. 

I think to a degree, it should be visible in the quarterly reports. There should be a big spike in sales in the others region for Nintendo. Since Europe got spun out of others this gen then the big change can pretty much only come from China. From there, the difference in sales and ratio in the others category from before the China launch and after should allow to extrapolate the sales on Nintendo in China, at least for this gen. For weekly sales however, I have no idea how they will track the next generations of consoles if they launch alongside the rest of the world, though.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
HollyGamer said:

I think to a degree, it should be visible in the quarterly reports. There should be a big spike in sales in the others region for Nintendo. Since Europe got spun out of others this gen then the big change can pretty much only come from China. From there, the difference in sales and ratio in the others category from before the China launch and after should allow to extrapolate the sales on Nintendo in China, at least for this gen. For weekly sales however, I have no idea how they will track the next generations of consoles if they launch alongside the rest of the world, though.

Agree