By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch launches in China on December 10th

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/nintendo-s-switch-gaming-console-to-launch-in-china-on-december-10-12151182

Official launch price is 2,099 yuan, which equates to US$298.20.

Around the Network

Gah, beaten to the punch, was about to post this haha

Will this have any significant effect on Switch's sales potential or will China sales likely be too small to make much of a difference?

It's different enough from pc and mobile gaming to carve out part of the market there.

This could be big. It could also be nothing. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I'm intrigued. 😁

curl-6 said:

Gah, beaten to the punch, was about to post this haha

Will this have any significant effect on Switch's sales potential or will China sales likely be too small to make much of a difference?

Gotta be quicker next time. ;)

I think there's a bigger chance at success than failure and that it has a stronger chance than the PS4 and Xbox One when they launched in China. As ironmanDX stated, it's different enough from PC and mobile to make its own piece of the market, the Switch is a good bridge/midway point of the two. You never know for sure about these things, because it's China. But as of now, if any one of the Big Three is in a prime position to break out and find an audience there, it's Nintendo. Another big thing that Nintendo has in their favor is their partnership with Tencent to release the system in China.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 04 December 2019

Will we have sales date from there...This is really not sure.

Around the Network

It should fall under the 'Rest of the World' category like it did with the Xbox One when it launched in China in late September 2014.

I know it's not the best indicator to go by but if Amazon China is any reflection of the gaming demographic in China then the Switch and its games are going to be massive there!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Over 50000 preorders at jd.com

https://nintendosoup.com/over-50000-official-nintendo-switch-consoles-pre-ordered-in-china/

https://mobile.twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1202123728814886912

Last edited by Cucumberry - on 04 December 2019

It will be very interesting to see what kind of impact this has on WW sales YOY.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

twintail said:
peachbuggy said:
I know it's not the best indicator to go by but if Amazon China is any reflection of the gaming demographic in China then the Switch and its games are going to be massive there!

amazon china is a pretty poor source for anything China related tbqh.

There are much bigger, vastly more popular, eCommerce stores.

That's why I said if it's in any way indicative of the general gaming demographic. It may be a small sample but it also could be a genuine cross-section of Chinese gamers. 

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!