By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life: Alyx launches March 2020

Peh said:
SvennoJ said:

That looks more like what I expect. Very cool yet also pretty clumsy and messy. I'm still on the fence on how this will go in a serious game environment. It's good for a laugh anyway. His wrists bending so uncomfortably all the time (in game) makes me feel kinda nauseous lol.

Video games have also been about feeling like a super hero that can do everything well. This is more like playing Inspector Gadget or Clouseau. Amazing tech but do the masses actually want this?

I also wonder what Valve will do to support room scale, standing and sitting all at the same time. The conversion of Fantastic contraption to be played sitting on psvr hampered it a lot. Then with the various movement schemes and different controllers they would basically have to make 18 different combinations work in the game. The Solus Project simply let you skip certain puzzles that weren't compatible with the current movement scheme plus I still needed to switch back to teleportation now and then to be able to reach certain places.

I really hope it doesn't become a jack of all trades, master of none type situation. I just don't want to get all hyped and then be disappointed. Doom VFR was really disappointing and didn't work well with any of the 3 control schemes. I tried them all and ended up switching between them all to get through the game. So far RE7 is still my fondest memory of playing a 'realistic' full game in VR and that used the controller. I did 5 play throughs of that and survive the night mini game was so good in VR :) I'm hoping HL Alyx can finally dethrone RE7.

I'm personally not a fan of having everything physics based like they did in this game. Same is being done in Blade & Sorcery. The body in VR ends up in weird position because of that and it looks arkward when holding a gun. Thus I prefer the flying hands option.

I personally don't follow that "super hero that can do everything well" statement. Everything that I got from PSVR is that it's a neat introduction to VR, but you reach your limits very fast on what VR can actually do. Therefor PSVR and PC VR is a night and day difference. PSVR just lack the gameplay mechanics that are possible on PC due to the limitation of controller inputs. One thing on PC VR FPS is the possibility to reload your gun on your own by doing each single step. And this alone is very satisfying to have the feeling of being in control. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl-857Fl7po

As I am aware of, the PC VR controllers have all the same amount of buttons and inputs. The only exception are the Index controllers, which got finger track and pressure detection as well as a few more buttons, how that is being actually implemented into the game, I don't know. Room scale and standing are pretty much identical, since you usually stand in both, but standing is limited by the circle beneath your feet, yet you can still ignore it and walk around with the risk of running into you own furniture or wall. Room scale is just a bigger space you can freely walk around. Only a tiny fraction of PC VR games actually do use this feature for playing their games. I personally use standing with locomotion my preferred way of playing all VR games. Meaning, walking with the controller by using the trackpad for up, down and strafe, and turning myself in real. Teleportation is good for people getting motion sick, but I don't have that issue and it takes me out of the immersion. I just want to walk around and enjoy the environment like that. 

I guess that PSVR is the only way you've experienced VR as of now? Sadly there is no RE7 for PC VR :( But checking some videos on Youtube, there is no real motion controls for RE7, right?

Nevertheless, the reloading animation on HL:A is a bit too smooth from my experience with reloading guns on your own in other games. 

If you ever go into PC VR. Get Pavlov VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5zy5Cex0DU (Viewer discretion is advised) I imagine that the gunplay in HL:A will be very similar to this game.

RE7 works with head aiming and DS4 for everything else, thankfully no motion controls. Which is probably why it's still at the top of my list. So much freedom to run around without the limitations of move. I tried playing NMS with move last night, horrible. Tracking is fine, the lack of an analog stick for turning and movement is not. Using the controller as a joystick for strafing feels awkward and the stop start rotation of the x o buttons doesn't allow and fine turning so you're always slightly strafing down the halls with your head turned a bit.

Blood & truth does away with movement and you glide from point to point, basically slow teleportation. And sure, tracking works but all the issues of motion control are there. Collision detection works of course, which means when you move your gun too close along a wall the 1:1 tracking goes away and your virtual hand does something else than your real hand. And all so finicky, I've shot my foot so many times trying to holster my weapon (same button) or the ceiling trying to stow the smg on my back. There are a lot of interactions possible but nothing feels quite right cause there is nothing to feel. I was playing with all the things in the car and anything that's attached is a matter of figuring out where and how you have to hold you wrist to get it to do what you want. It's not natural at all because you're holding a controller and pressing a button to grab.

I would love to try PCVR but I'm not going to invest in an expensive set up just to be disappointed by the same fundamental problems in motion control. The most I use PSVR for nowadays is Beat Saber and sometimes time trials in GT Sport. I still have Borderlands 2 waiting for me, I should really start that some time. I think you can play that without motion controls and should be fine sitting or standing like RE7. Btw I did play Skyrim VR for 130 hours with move. Dual casting, sword plus shield and rapid fire arrows was too good not to use move. Movement and rotation were annoying, especially since it switched from 'joystick' strafing with move, to go where you look when running.

Anyway next gen should have analog sticks on motion controllers. Motion control is great for a lot of things, just awkward when manipulating virtual objects.

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
Dulfite said:
People have been waiting for HL3 for eons and now it's a VR game, appealing to a small demographic? This is funny lol

This. Cutting out people who don't have a gaming PC and/or play exclusively on console, and people want to praise them after all their transgressions? 

I have both gaming PC and consoles, but I can't see myself ever buying VR. I want to actually engage with the people around me in real life and not just stare at a wall in a dark corner of the basement eating my cheese puffs which, according to the game I'm playing, are caviar.

Dulfite said:
KManX89 said:

This. Cutting out people who don't have a gaming PC and/or play exclusively on console, and people want to praise them after all their transgressions? 

I have both gaming PC and consoles, but I can't see myself ever buying VR. I want to actually engage with the people around me in real life and not just stare at a wall in a dark corner of the basement eating my cheese puffs which, according to the game I'm playing, are caviar.

To be fair most the time I spend in VR is using room scale with games that you can actively dodge or swing a sword etc.  After a hour am usually covered in sweat and need a shower.  It actually has become a good motivated to improve my cardio.

Cyran said:

To be fair most the time I spend in VR is using room scale with games that you can actively dodge or swing a sword etc.  After a hour am usually covered in sweat and need a shower.  It actually has become a good motivated to improve my cardio.

The headset is a bit of a problem. After 5 songs on expert in Beat Saber I have to take it off, wipe it down and wait for my head to stop sweating before going in again. I'm only wearing shorts waving wands around like a lunatic while wearing a helmet, it's not very flattering lol.

Sports champions sword duel was great exercise with move. Dodging, blocking, sword and shield play without VR helmet. Ca go as long as you can keep it up. Kung fu champions was a bad game but play endless stages was great for cardio, don't even need to hold any controllers, kinect style. Before that I got my cardio from DDR wearing out several pads over the years. Maybe one day we'll have VR contact lenses.

Very unlikely but I would love to have this on PSVR.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I think it is a boon that it is on rails, you just have to know what kind of game this is. Roleplay it, speak back to characters and hype yourself up. Pretty sure the game was designed for standing, something I prefer at least for the feel of it and really get into the James bond/Ganster vibe rolplaying all the tactical actions, I played this evening in fact to check out the dlc (bit disapointed) after recommending it to ya but played the best missions of the game and man, Idk, it's just such a hype mood game.

Two tips, Do NOT play on easy and when adjusting the holsters and chest box don't go to close to your body or chair. Oh and of course, the thing to do with all VR games, turn off your TV screen. You can play sitting but why would you? You're basically just along for the ride then instead of being apart of the ride, up front and all bad ass, like. It takes a half hour to get it (maybe more since you're getting on in years ;) jk) like most things do but once you get the feel it's smooth as butter. Picked it up this evening and went to my armoury and gun range whipping out guns and headshotting targets like I never put it down. It's a bike ride, find the balance and feel and when you do, you'll wonder why you felt it wasn't so easy from the get go. 

I guess you get less patience when you get older. I quit when it was cut scene after cut scene, visiting his mother, can't skip, quit game.

Standing was a problem since I moved away from the holster and chest piece then couldn't find the right spot anymore. And the obvious feeling like a dwarf when your feet are sticking into the ground. However when sitting my back started hurting from the awkward positions I was trying to bend my body and arms in lol. I also suck at free hand aiming which will take practice to get right but last night it was only frustrating me. When they threw a grenade at me I tried to pick it up to throw back but it wouldn't let me, game over. I guess I needed to warp to another spot.

Motion controls is always a love hate type of affair. I once ripped one of the transparent balls off one of my move controllers out of frustration with the bloody things. It's taped back on with a long piece of scotch tape, works lol. In the end I play games for relaxation, not to get frustrated by the control scheme limitations. I guess I should put the game on, aim the headset at the camera and let it run on tv until the cut scenes are done. I always have very little patience for those but at least on tv screen games you can turn on the subtitles, quick scan ahead and click to the next sentence. (Nintendo always tests my patience with that slow appearing text, ugh) All that voice dialog and I never hear more than the first 2 or 3 words of every sentence haha.

This is me during cut scenes lol

I'll give it another shot later, but first, Borderlands 2 patch has finished installing. Hopefully that starts fast without a lot of talking :)

Edit: Sigh, forward is mapped the where you are looking in Borderlands 2. Dunno how to turn that off. You can apparently use an aim controller and switch to moving either in gun direction or look direction, but not body direction (as in analog stick). I wish developers would stop trying to re-invent the wheel and let me play with just the added look around wherever you want independent of anything else. Right analog stick rotate your body, left analog stick move relative to which way your body is pointing. Head tracking for aiming, just like in RL, I can look to my right while still walking straight forward FFS. Sure you can get used to strafing sideways while turning your head to keep walking in the same direction while checking out the surroundings, but why.

This is what's putting me off VR after being totally addicted to it for over a year. Movement schemes are not improving, actually getting worse. RE7 did the least effort and still plays the best lol. (NMS with DS4 does it right, but you can't dash forward thus always slower in VR, limited by forced 'comfort') One other thing, you can't adjust the HUD and the minimap is where the top of my glasses is in the headset. Since that's a fixed position and half the minimap is above the extent of my glasses, I can only see half of it in sort of double vision. All those comfort options and nothing for people that wear glasses doh!

At least after turning off all the comfort crap, you can run and jump and rotate as much as you want. So I shouldn't really complain when it's doing 95% right. Perhaps I'll charge the aim controller again see if that works. The problem with that is, I don't really know where all the buttons are and with a headset on, you can't check lol.

I guess I need to charge the aim controller. It has the same problem as Doom, gun aim is at 15 to 30 degrees too high with DS4. That's going to hurt my neck if I have to keep looking down to aim. When I look straight, the cross hairs are too high. No option to adjust that.

Back to blood and truth, I was looking for a walkthrough / transcript to quick read through to know what it is about when the player gets control again. All I can find is videos, I hate millennials lol. /grumpy old man.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 24 November 2019

That was quite a lot of fun. I picked it up when the cut scenes were done and had a nice long play session before the talkies started again. I put some clips together in case anyone wants to see me fail at Blood and Truth. It has its share of cool moments but also plenty of that VR and especially PSVR clumsiness. I know I'm not a good candidate to play along with the charade, too curious not to try everything and test the limits. Some weird things, I tried juggling paper balls near the start but they kept flying off as soon as I let them go. However at the end I couldn't manage to throw a grenade for the life of me, those kept dropping straight down lol. I also had a catastrophic tracking failure where the headset went all haywire on me, I guess I moved to far forward trying to shoot around a counter. good thing I have zero motion sickness.

Playing this has actually made me more excited about HL: Alyx. It made me realize that the bar is still quite low. That's not meant as a dig against blood and truth, there's simply still tons of room for improvement in interactivity and physics based gameplay. Btw now I see where pistol whip got its idea from!

My Aim controller should have enough charge by now, let's see how that works with Borderlands 2. I figured out how to be able to see the mini map with the current mission, looking straight up unglues it from where my glasses end and it comes down into view. A work around.

Yep, works great with the Aim controller. It only needs something to remind you of where the camera is. At some point the tracking was having some issues and it turned out I was pretty much facing away from the camera. Fun game.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 24 November 2019

PotentHerbs said:

If technically possible Valve would have no other choice but staying true to their word.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-vr-exclusives-theyre-bad-for-everyone/

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
PotentHerbs said:

If technically possible Valve would have no other choice but staying true to their word.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-vr-exclusives-theyre-bad-for-everyone/

Well it's already supporting multiple VR headsets anyway. I'd love if everyone else were to take his viewpoint on board as well. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 25 November 2019

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

HL Alyx will be SteamVR exclusive. Not going to be available on any other (VR) store/platform. Not Microsofts store, not Oculus, not even Viveport. Period.

Hunting Season is done...