By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue III - 70 on Metacritic

I'm not sure if it has a good reason to exist.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Immersiveunreality said:
I'm not sure if it has a good reason to exist.

Fans gave Yu Suzuki 6.3 million reasons for it to exist. So yes, it has a good reason to exist. 

Yeah but outside of that as a product on itself?

Was it a wise decision to make this a kickstart project and will it make a bit of profit or hardly break even/losses?

Only fans will appreciate this game. I have both PC and PS4 versions and so far I like it, but I think Yu should've waited for Sony instead of going the Kickstarter route, even if Sony took 2 more years to get the funds, they'd have a bigger budget and there would be a bigger ad campaign.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
shikamaru317 said:
Darashiva said:
Ok, this is a genuine question. I've looked up some reviews and videos of Shenmue III, and I need to ask, was the English voice acting and dialogue made intentionally bad as a callback to the first two games? I mean, something like that was pretty much to be expected in a lot of games in the 90's and early 2000's, but I thought we had moved on from that in the last 15 years. You can actually do better these days, even in very small budget projects. Ryu especially sounds horrible, with every line coming off as awkward and stilted. I know that was the case in the first two games as well, but did they actually make him sound that bad intentionally, or is that really the best they could do? I'm not sure which option would be worse to be honest.

Pretty sure it was intentional, they used the same voice actors for all of the characters who were in Shenmue 1 and 2 as far as I know, and it seems like they purposefully directed them to act the same way they did in the first two games, even if their voice acting skills have improved since then. Everything about this game was designed to be nostalgic and stay true to the originals. That being said, from what I've heard in trailers the English voice acting is definitely an improvement over the first 2 games, even Ryo got a bit better. 

I'm not sure that's really a thing to be so nostalgic about that they should actively make their game worse. 20 years ago it was understandable and mostly expected in Japanese games, but if they are intentionally hampering their own game to appeal to some misguided feeling of nostalgia then I don't really know what to say. There are ways to do callbacks to the older games and use elements from them in a way that doesn't hurt the experience in the new game, and this really isn't it. Maybe it's just something that I don't understand since I have no emotional attachment to the first two games.

Basically what I expected when I kickstarted. It's a game that's really targeted towards fans of the first two, and they would be disappointed if the game didn't have the same quirks as the original. Combine that with the fact that it has a generally low budget, and I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary. I expected another Shenmue, and it seems like that's exactly what we got.

Around the Network

Jim Sterling's take on things

https://youtu.be/MI9EISn8K0Q

d21lewis said:

Looks like this is a game with at least 8m+ budget. I am not sure how much SP games cost these days, is this really a low budget game or does it only look like a low budget game?

Been a while since I watched/listened to Jim. He's such a talent.

I played the original on the dreamcast and I loved the third one. Here's to hoping it won't take anther two decades!

LurkerJ said:
d21lewis said:

Looks like this is a game with at least 8m+ budget. I am not sure how much SP games cost these days, is this really a low budget game or does it only look like a low budget game?

It does look kinda cheap but at the same time I like the way it looks. Pretty colorful and sharp. It's all of the other flaws that are turning me off.

Hiku said:
d21lewis said:

I also watched this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMg29kfYVr0

Very similar take on the game.

Listened to the video while I walked my dog just now. Yeah, I don't think I'll be playing this one. I'm one of those who was wowed by the original game and how it changed my concept of what a game could be. Unfortunately, by the time I got my hands on Shenmue 2 (in 2007), that excitement was gone. It's okay for fans who say "It's more of the same but that's exactly what I wanted!" but it sucks for those of us who wanted some advancement.

The great series throughout history have evolved with time.