By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pokemon Co: Sword/Shield sold through 6 million globally in its first 3 days

Pokemon: IT STILL PRINTS MONEY!!!

I kind of figured that S&S was still going to be a huge hit regardless of what the internet had to say. Between it and the Mini, I wonder what we'll see with the Switch's sales this holiday and its baseline in 2020.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Now it's all about the legs, and how well the Switch sells over the next month and a half.

Ha! And then it sold amazingly. 6M in a couple days, there's only a tiny handful of games that can claim such a number. Also, seems to be 2M in Japan, with a bit more added to account for shipment numbers, that puts it neatly among the top sellers there as well, after all.

Going by the Q2 results numbers this would put Sw/Sh 8th in the top 10 sellers on Switch although chances are it's already climbed above that in the past few days and likely will be the platform's 6th 10m seller by the end of this week. With AC next year in March it would mean that the first party library has released a 10m seller each year in a row of the Switch's life so far.

Jules98 said:

Pretty much this. We may have lost roughly half the national dex, but the remaining half of the national dex is still a freakishly huge amount of mons. People need to stop pretending that having 'only' 400+ Pokémon (which is still 100+ more than the Sun and Moon dex had to offer!) means that the games are lacking in content.

That's exactly what lacking content means. 435 < 800 isn't people pretending. So yeah, combined with the other cut mechanics and modes coupled with minimal new stuff, Sw/Sh is in fact lacking content compared to prior games.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jules98 said:

Pretty much this. We may have lost roughly half the national dex, but the remaining half of the national dex is still a freakishly huge amount of mons. People need to stop pretending that having 'only' 400+ Pokémon (which is still 100+ more than the Sun and Moon dex had to offer!) means that the games are lacking in content.

That's exactly what lacking content means. 435 < 800 isn't people pretending. So yeah, combined with the other cut mechanics and modes coupled with minimal new stuff, Sw/Sh is in fact lacking content compared to prior games.

Signature goes here!

Mar1217 said:
Well, I've seen most in my social circle has bought Pokémon already with no real complaints about the cut National dex.
This is anecdotal, but just goes to show that we sometimes still overestimate the reach/impact of social media movements.

Yeah same here, lots of folks I know in real life were hyped for it, bought it, liked it, and never seemed to have any issue with the number of Pokemon.

It does go to show that while it's easy for a highly vocal group on the internet to seem like a huge, overpowering movement, this rarely reflects the attitudes of the average Joe. It's like how certain forums or sites become echo chambers, and if you spend a lot of time there you'd get the false impression that almost everybody is far-left/far-right, when in fact its just a very loud minority all gathered together.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

6 million in 3 days.

The doomsayers should dine on 6 million crows over the next 3 days.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

DonFerrari said:
This is just massive, congrats, let's hope they enjoy a lot more than reviewers and customer review.

Customer review are just a bunch of trolls and people who don't like the changes trying to drag it down.  Sitting at an 82 on meta, reviewers seem to be enjoying thenselves just fine as well as that is a good score.

Much like Death Stranding, the hyperbole over a score in the low 80s is real.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I mean, personally, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole, just like I wouldn't touch Minecraft, GTA, or Animal Crossing, just not my thing, but clearly it's successfully appealing to its target audience with sales like these.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.