Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2019 Winners

What does Games for Impact mean?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

It's essentially the SJW award. Each year most of the nominations are for games that promote progressive changes. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 November 2019

So I guess all of the people crying that Death Stranding wouldn't make the GOTY because of "bad scores" had nothing to complain about??

shikamaru317 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's essentially the SJW award. Each year most of the nominations are for games that promote progressive changes. 

Okay, so you are a SJW because you care about that category.

The only game I recognize from those nominations is Gris. What exactly does it do?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

The only game I recognize from those nominations is Gris. What exactly does it do?

Nah, I just voted for Gris because it's not really an SJW game afaik. Guess that not enough SJW games released this year to give every nomination to an SJW game xD

Edit: Technically speaking, the award is for any game that is designed to shed light on some social issue, not necessarily the ones that only SJW's fight for. For instance, Sea of Solitude likely got it's nomination because it promotes better mental health care. So hopefully it goes to some non SJW game this year. 

Around the Network

Death Stranding gets the most nominations. No surprise, Geoff likes to suck that Kojima d*** hard.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Thank goodness Smash is nominated. I was worried that December releases aren't included what with the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 snub in last year's Best RPG category.

shikamaru317 said:
RolStoppable said:

Nah, I just voted for Gris because it's not really an SJW game afaik. Guess that not enough SJW games released this year to give every nomination to an SJW game xD

Edit: Technically speaking, the award is for any game that is designed to shed light on some social issue, not necessarily the ones that only SJW's fight for. For instance, Sea of Solitude likely got it's nomination because it promotes better mental health care. So hopefully it goes to some non SJW game this year. 

I see. Still sounds like a pretentious category the way you explain it.

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

I see. Still sounds like a pretentious category the way you explain it.

Yeah, I've found it to be a pretty silly category ever since it was first introduced back in 2014. Most of the winners have been good games at least, in 2014 Valiant Hearts: The Great War won for it's depiction of World War 1; in 2016, That Dragon, Cancer won for it's depiction of the struggle against cancer; in 2017, Hellblade won for it's depiction of a woman struggling with psychosis; in 2018 Celeste won for it's depiction of a girl struggling with mental health issues. So while many nominations go to games that support SJW causes, most of the winners so far have gone to non SJW games. 

I love smash but I think I would vote RE2 for GOTY over it...only cause KH3 didn’t get nominated