Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2019 Winners

I was hoping Resident Evil 2 would get nominated for Best Game, and it did.
Though I'm not sure how I feel about Fire Emblem not being in the RPG category, but rather the Strategy category. Seems like you could move KH3 from RPG to Action with that reasoning.
I feel like votes will lean heavily towards the professional Hollywood actors for Best Performance though.

xMetroid said:
FE:3H and Astral chain paid dust while Death Stranding and control are the most nominated game yet didnt get great fan nor critic reviews. I was expecting that from DS since the game was pushed so hard at the GA in the past year. Don't think they will give it to him but he will for sure get Best direction cause of the whole situation.

Anyway, glad Smash is nominated atleast..

Death Stranding certainly did get a lot of great reviews. The first 50+ reviews are all 9-10 reviews.
The thing is, it's a fairly polarizing game. Most reviewers seem to love it, but there seems to be a not insignificant chance that if you don't love it, you may hate it. That's very different from a game that gets almost nothing but mediocre reviews.

For example, Death Stranding received a lower average score than both Astral Chain and FE:3H. But Death Stranding also received more 100 perfect scores than what both Astral Chain and FE:3H received combined.

I think people often forget what an average score represents.
If a game only has two reviews, A 0 and a 100, it becomes a Metascore of 50. Does that mean that reviewers think it's an average game?

No, it does not. It means that one reviewer thought it was garbage, while the other thought it was a masterpiece.
And from what I've seen, even among reviewers that loved DS, they commonly say they can see why it's not for everyone.

Yet another reason why people should focus less on the scores (not even just the average scores, but the scores in general) and much more on how the review paints the game.

This is one of those games that can be a once in a lifetime unique experience, so I'm not at all surprised that it's nominated.
That said, if it had actually been a game that essentially everyone thought was bad or mediocre, I'm sure it would have still been nominated for some things, such as the performance (Hollywood actors), or for the visuals.

Last edited by Hiku - on 19 November 2019

Around the Network

Since GRIS didn't get nominated I guess my vote for GOTY goes to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate instead.

When you think about it, Outer Worlds, FE3H or DMC V should have been easy picks in the GOTY category, yet here we are with 2 questionable choices in this list with Control and Death Stranding (Not surprised of it's presence still) imo.

Also, FE not in the OST nor the RPG category ? Does the VGA want to be taken seriously ?
Anyway, Smash will win the GOTY without surprise while we watch eagerly for those "premieres".

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Shocked to see The Outer Worlds and Control in so many categories! I really need to pick both of those up when I finally get around to beating Borderlands 3 and Links Awakening

deskpro2k3 said:
Wow... That GOTY list of nominees is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE I SAY.

Only game that is worthy is Death Stranding but there are other games. Nobody played the new Star Wars, and Call of Duty games?

Not a lot of super highly acclaimed games this year, I tell you. New Star Wars is alright, Call of Duty is Call of Duty. 

Around the Network

I like how they're trying to put eSports and Streaming on the same level as actual games.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
I like how they're trying to put eSports and Streaming on the same level as actual games.

It's part of their plan. Making all the game awards meaningless while they pass most of the time celebrating the competitive scene, streamers and personalities, which is ironic cuz none of them would have any place in this show if it weren't for the games themselves.

... Ok I'm partly joking :P .... Unless

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Cerebralbore101 said:

That's another disappointing aspect of this year's awards. Last year we had like 3 awards for esports, and a year or two before that it was 1. I feel like this is only becoming more of a thing due to publishers wishing to push it over everything else.

Esports hardly matters to the rest of the populous though, and it's not like esports is special or unique, because all it is, is a group that's competitive playing for cash prizes, which is no different to placing bets on your favourite Football player, whch has been a thing for many decades, if not 90-100 years now. 

Curious question, why isnt Gears 5 nominated for overall GOTY? Its review and user reviews is quite good and the game on  a tech level is some of the best in the buisness.

I dont like the fact that a remake can become goty, nor people voting for the dev and not the game

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.