By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2019 Winners

COKTOE said:
This is all very important. More so than ever. Even including the legendary show from 20XX where Capcom swept swept the awards.

Underrated post

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
zkp said:

So many angry nintendont here can't handle this all nominations for Death Stranding. You should calm down for minute kids. Just take a breath, it's only games. I know everything that's not Nintendo does not count to win GoTy.

Moderated - think-man

Why are you assuming that all of the people who don't think that Death Stranding belongs are Nintendo fans? I don't think that Death Stranding belongs in alot of these categories, and I'm a multiplat gamer. 

1. Geoff Keighley, who started The Game Awards and hosts them, is a well known massive Kojima fanboy. He has found an excuse to bring Kojima out on stage at the last 3 or 4 TGA's. Geoff Keighley also stars in a cameo role in Death Stranding, which is a bit of a conflict of interest.

2. The nominations are decided by a Jury of 80 gaming outlets and influencers, and Keighley himself is not on the Jury supposedly. Problem is that Keighley can handpick which outlets and influencers get on the jury and which do not. Several outlets and influencers get overlooked in this process, including some of my personal most trusted game critics. 

3. Death Stranding has the lowest metacritic average out of the 6 games that received a GOTY nomination, at 83. Several games with higher meta scores got snubbed thanks to the way that Keigley handpicks the voting jury, including Astral Chain (87), Fire Emblem (89), Disco Elysium (90), Devil May Cry 5 (88), and Apex Legends (89). 

You are only seeing the overall that is 83. "Death Stranding" has more 100 than most of these games if not all of them. You guys complaning about the game didn't even play it in deep to understand how great it is and all the new concepts and ideas that were introduced in the game. 

Rooting for Death Stranding !!!
The game that made likely the most effort in being new and different while also well crafted and fun.

Ooooh, also Monster hunter world iceborne hopefully gets an award!

I have literally never even heard of Control before.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

shikamaru317 said:
zkp said:

So many angry nintendont here can't handle this all nominations for Death Stranding. You should calm down for minute kids. Just take a breath, it's only games. I know everything that's not Nintendo does not count to win GoTy.

Moderated - think-man

Why are you assuming that all of the people who don't think that Death Stranding belongs are Nintendo fans? I don't think that Death Stranding belongs in alot of these categories, and I'm a multiplat gamer. 

1. Geoff Keighley, who started The Game Awards and hosts them, is a well known massive Kojima fanboy. He has found an excuse to bring Kojima out on stage at the last 3 or 4 TGA's. Geoff Keighley also stars in a cameo role in Death Stranding, which is a bit of a conflict of interest.

2. The nominations are decided by a Jury of 80 gaming outlets and influencers, and Keighley himself is not on the Jury supposedly. Problem is that Keighley can handpick which outlets and influencers get on the jury and which do not. Several outlets and influencers get overlooked in this process, including some of my personal most trusted game critics. 

3. Death Stranding has the lowest metacritic average out of the 6 games that received a GOTY nomination, at 83. Several games with higher meta scores got snubbed thanks to the way that Keigley handpicks the voting jury, including Astral Chain (87), Fire Emblem (89), Disco Elysium (90), Devil May Cry 5 (88), and Apex Legends (89). 

80 Gaming outlets is a lot. Death Stranding has a total of 96 reviews, so it's fair to say most of the major outlets that are recognized on Metacritic get to choose the nominations and the winners along with a 10% say from the gamers.

As for the Keighly picking and choosing outlets that he thinks will pick a certain game, you should consider that outlets that gave Death Stranding it's lowest scores like Stevivor, and Giant Bomb are present so Keighly did a terrible job if that was his intent.

Metascores are a much narrow representation of what wins GOTY. A review is usually the opinion of just one person at an outlet, and when they get together at the end of the year to decide which was best the one with the highest initial score isn't guaranteed to win. Nintendo games get scores based on the expectations people have of Nintendo hardware, which are very low. When these games are compared to every other game they just don't hold up. 

Around the Network

Sorry but reviewers scoring Nintendo titles based off of hardware expectations is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on teh chartz 😆🤡

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sorry but reviewers scoring Nintendo titles based off of hardware expectations is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on teh chartz 😆🤡

Here's what The Game Awards describes it's GOTY as:

"RECOGNIZING A GAME THAT DELIVERS THE ABSOLUTE BEST EXPERIENCE ACROSS ALL CREATIVE AND TECHNICAL FIELDS."

Nintendo games are pretty much non-starters for half of that description. They're simply incapable of delivering the best in all technical fields, the best we can say about them is something like "It's amazing what they were able to do given the hardware they're on."

User was banned for this post, among others -cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 21 November 2019

And yet BotW just won it and past winners like Overwatch or Dragon Age were nothing special technically. Furthermore you said Nintendo games “get scores” based off this nonsense so you’re talking about reviewers as a whole and not just Dorito Pope and his crew 😆

LudicrousSpeed said:

And yet BotW just won it and past winners like Overwatch or Dragon Age were nothing special technically. Furthermore you said Nintendo games “get scores” based off this nonsense so you’re talking about reviewers as a whole and not just Dorito Pope and his crew 😆

Indeed. A 90 rated game on NS is like a 70 rated game on PS4/XB1. BOTW was without a doubt the worst pick for GOTY, It's like the collective gaming community had a brain fart. lol

User was banned for this post, among others -cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 21 November 2019

RolStoppable said:
Sarkar said:

Indeed. A 90 rated game on NS is like a 70 rated game on PS4/XB1. BOTW was without a doubt the worst pick for GOTY, It's like the collective gaming community had a brain fart. lol

With this line of argumentation it won't take long until you fall off a cliff.

Huh?