By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happened to the Pokemon Spinoffs?

Tagged games:

What's your favourite Pokemon spinoff?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 9 37.50%

Pokemon Ranger 2 8.33%

Pokemon Snap 5 20.83%

Pokemon Stadium & Battle Revolution 2 8.33%

Pokemon Colisseum & XD Gale of Darkness 4 16.67%

Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 8.33%

Pokemon Rumble 0 0%

Pokemon Pinball 0 0%

Pokemon Conquest 0 0%

Pokemon puzzle games (Puzzle, Picross...) 0 0%

Total:24
RolStoppable said:
There is likely one planned for 2020 which can be expected to be a year without mainline game. Mystery Dungeon has been the most successful spinoff series, so that's my pick.

There's only one Nintendo console now, so fewer games are needed. I expect Pokémon to become similar to Zelda where it's usually one release per year if everything is counted between mainline and spinoff games.

They skipped making a Mystery Dungeon for Gen 7 so as much as I'd love another one I'd have to think the series might be dead. Sales dropped off after it moved to 3DS, and despite Super addressing the problems of Gates, it didn't sell significantly better. Over a million is still great numbers, but I guess not enough for Pokemon.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

They skipped making a Mystery Dungeon for Gen 7 so as much as I'd love another one I'd have to think the series might be dead. Sales dropped off after it moved to 3DS, and despite Super addressing the problems of Gates, it didn't sell significantly better. Over a million is still great numbers, but I guess not enough for Pokemon.

Mystery Dungeon is made by Spike Chunsoft who do those games like Koei-Tecmo handles their Warriors IP. The declining sales of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon have made SC look for other IPs to do crossovers with Mystery Dungeon, but I doubt that they'll stop doing Pokémon.

True. They worked with Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and the Pokemon ones dwarf them in sales every time. Which is a shame, I love the Etrian Odyssey ones, they fit each other perfectly...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I have a feeling that we are going to see a Pokemon Warriors game at some point.

They've done it with Fire Emblem and Zelda. Pokemon is the next best bet.

I would love to see a snap sequel, with more pokemon this time.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Darwinianevolution said:
SecondWar said:

Mystery Dungeon is the most likely candidate to come onto the Switch, but I'm unsure on the chances of this happening. Detective Pikachu 2 is already announced for the Switch. Snap and TCG haven't seen any attention since the N64 or GBC days so these are highly unlikely. Your best bet for Snap is for it to be included on a potential N64 mini. TCG I think have a mobile release.

There is a Pokemon TCG on mobile, but it's just a card game, it doesn't have a campaign mode like the GB games had.

Is it something you buy for a flat price, or is it basically just like buying packs of the cards only without actually getting physical cards?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Darwinianevolution said:

There is a Pokemon TCG on mobile, but it's just a card game, it doesn't have a campaign mode like the GB games had.

Is it something you buy for a flat price, or is it basically just like buying packs of the cards only without actually getting physical cards?

I'm not sure, though I know it's free to play. More info here.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not sure, though I know it's free to play. More info here.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Meh.  Seems like it's essentially just a digital version of the card game.  I'm too old and too broke to be cracking open packs (digitally or otherwise) to get the best Pokemon cards.  If they did something like the Gameboy game I'd be down.

MasonADC said:
Poke park isnt in the polls, the true best Pokémon spinoffs

Yes. Fully evolved Pokemon eagerly awaiting to be chased by a Pikachu was a sight to behold.

I can't see any good spinoffs being made ever again sadly. Mystery Dungeon's last great game was EoS more than a decade ago and Conquest was the last good one more than 7 years ago.

The cynic in me says that GF doesn't want the spinoffs to overshadow the main games, and now that GO has proven the cost benefits of mobile, I don't think they'll be coming back to console.

What I wouldn't give for another Mystery Dungeon as great as EoS or a Fire Emblem/Pokemon TRPG crossover though.

Xxain said:
MasonADC said:
Poke park isnt in the polls, the true best Pokémon spinoffs

Yes. Fully evolved Pokemon eagerly awaiting to be chased by a Pikachu was a sight to behold.

Truly the pinnacle of a Pokémon spinoff