By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Will Terminator: Dark Fate Be The Lowest Grossing Sequel?

Where Will T:DF End Up?

The Lowest of the Low 15 78.95%

Above Salvation 2 10.53%

Above Genisys 1 5.26%

Above T3 1 5.26%

Total:19
thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

Rambo bombed too ... guess people don't want conservative bull sh*t in their movies, meanwhile Captain Marvel and Black Panther lit up the box office.

More like people don't want to see 70 year old action heroes and IP from the 70s/80s/90s that have nothing new to bring to the table. 

Rambo had no politics in the film.  It's also a movie series that hit its peak in the late 80's.  The Rocky sequels have been successful, though.  So, you'll have to continue to reach for more excuses.

Bull sh*t you cherry pick where you want to suit your arguement, Rambo has right lean as much "politics" as Terminator does. You don't want to touch that because you can't explain why that movie flopped too. Terminator peaked in '91, which is pretty close to the 80s too, lol.

The CREED movies being successful doesn't really suit your narrative either, they are "woke" in making a black lead the main character and telling the story from HIS POV and moving Rocky to being a supporting role. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 25 November 2019

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

Rambo had no politics in the film.  It's also a movie series that hit its peak in the late 80's.  The Rocky sequels have been successful, though.  So, you'll have to continue to reach for more excuses.

Bull sh*t you cherry pick where you want to suit your arguement, Rambo has right lean as much "politics" as Terminator does. You don't want to touch that because you can't explain why that movie flopped too. 

The CREED movies being successful doesn't really suit your narrative either, they are "woke" in making a black lead the main character and telling the story from HIS POV and moving Rocky to being a supporting role. 

I'm not the one cherry picking here.  Care to point out these right leaning messages in the film, like I picked out the woke politics in Terminator?  And no, just because the bad guys are Mexican cartel, doesn't make it right leaning.

Lol.  You realize having a black lead or a female lead does not make a film a woke one, right?

thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

Bull sh*t you cherry pick where you want to suit your arguement, Rambo has right lean as much "politics" as Terminator does. You don't want to touch that because you can't explain why that movie flopped too. 

I'm not the one cherry picking here.  Care to point out these right leaning messages in the film, like I picked out the woke politics in Terminator?  And no, just because the bad guys are Mexican cartel, doesn't make it right leaning.

Lol.  You realize having a black lead or a female lead does not make a film a woke one, right?

Many reviewers have pointed out Rambo has a right leaning agenda, not a heavy one, but neither really does Terminator.

No one wants to see either of that shit because no one wants to see a 70 year old action hero, plain and simple. 

Young movie goers have liberal politics by and large by the way, they voted overwhelmingly against Trump, it's not 65-70 year old white people that go to the movie theater to begin with, and the no.1 movie going group per capita in the US is Latinos, lol, so "woke" politics is not keeping people away when the majority of movie goers are more on the liberal side of things anyway. 

Trump supporters are not the majority, he lost the damn popular vote by 3 million and the ratio was much larger among people 18-40. If you're trying to insinuate the majority of movie goers are "Trump conservatives" you're flat out wrong. They are the minority. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 26 November 2019

Politics don't really sway box office that much.

It's the concept and what appeal it has for its time. Terminator as a franchise is very old to a person who's 16 today, they have no frame of reference for it other than a shitty Terminator Genisys.

For 80s/90s "people" who can't understand this concept, did you give a shit about everything from the 50s/60s when you were 12? Probably not. Time moves on.

Rambo? Old as fuck.

Charlie's Angels? Even the freaking Drew Barrymore version is OLD nowadays and was out of gas with the sequel that flopped in the 2000s (Full Throttle), let alone the ancient 1970s original. Kids have no clue who the fuck Drew Barrymore is, let alone Farrah Fawcett (RIP). 

Movie tickets are expensive, no one wants to spend $15 a ticket + $7 for a popcorn to watch this old ass stuff that really doesn't have anything new or interesting going on. You basically have a small handful of IP that work -- comic book movies, Star Wars, Fast & Furious (which is actually the "retro" film IP now to kids, 2001 when the first one came out is  their 1977 Star Wars, lol), horror movies, The Rock, Disney nostalgia, CGI kids movies, and very, very little else is viable. These 80s/90s franchise remakes like Terminator, Independence Day, Robocop, Alien Covenant, Rambo, are all flopping. 

Even comedies as a genre are fizzling out. People don't want to spend $15 to see that in a theater. There's basically only one bankable real movie star left and that's Leonardo DiCaprio

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

Many reviewers have pointed out Rambo has a right leaning agenda, not a heavy one, but neither really does Terminator.

No one wants to see either of that shit because no one wants to see a 70 year old action hero, plain and simple. 

Young movie goers have liberal politics by and large by the way, they voted overwhelmingly against Trump, it's not 65-70 year old white people that go to the movie theater to begin with, and the no.1 movie going group per capita in the US is Latinos, lol, so "woke" politics is not keeping people away when the majority of movie goers are more on the liberal side of things anyway. 

Trump supporters are not the majority, he lost the damn popular vote by 3 million and the ratio was much larger among people 18-40. If you're trying to insinuate the majority of movie goers are "Trump conservatives" you're flat out wrong. They are the minority. 

Oh, so in other words, you have no examples?  And, yes, Terminator did.  I gave several examples within the film and the director's own words show it.  And people still came out to watch Rocky Balboa.  And all the old action stars in the Expendables franchise.  And Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4 and 5. 

And you keep that dream alive of most people liking woke politics over good storytelling and characters.  I'll continue to laugh as these films fail.

Not sure what Trump has to do with this.  Whether you know it or not, not everything has to involve Trump.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

Oh, so in other words, you have no examples?  And, yes, Terminator did.  I gave several examples within the film and the director's own words show it.  And people still came out to watch Rocky Balboa.  And all the old action stars in the Expendables franchise.  And Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4 and 5. 

And you keep that dream alive of most people liking woke politics over good storytelling and characters.  I'll continue to laugh as these films fail.

Not sure what Trump has to do with this.  Whether you know it or not, not everything has to involve Trump.

Hate to break it to you but here's a reality check ... Hollywood is WOKE. Always has been, not sure what fantasy world you were living in where James Cameron (maker of the biggest Hollywood hits of the 90s/2000s) is a conservative, lol. Or DiCaprio is the biggest movie star in the world and really the only person left who can carry a movie (like Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) on his shoulders, is very woke. 

A lot of the examples you're using are old as fuck to boot, most of these 80s/90s franchise retreads of the last 5-6 years have bombed. Because it's a NEW generation of kids. You're old dude, you're not the primary demographic for movies, just like once upon a time you displaced people of the 50s/60s.

These kids don't give a shit about Schwarzenneger, Stallone, I mean even Twilight now is "retro", that was 10 years ago, Kristen Stewart is 30 and old, she's not the "It" girl of Hollywood, not even close. "Retro" to kids is Fast & Furious, that's a retro franchise. Terminator and Rambo are fucking ancient. Bruce Willis can't even get a major movie anymore, he does straight to DVD/PPV crap these days aside from M. Night bailing him out with the Glass sequel. 

I saw it and really enjoyed it.

Hadn't heard about any of the not-really-a-controversy going in. Definitely the best Terminator since T2.

But there-in lies the problem. There have been too many bad ones. And Terminator now exists in a world with multiple, phenomenal action films coming out every year. Good as this was, line it up against an Endgame, or a Star Wars, or Mission Impossible 5 - it just can't compete anyone. The original two films launched in to a completely different market.

Even bringing back Arnold for Genysis barely resulted in a rise on Salvation, especially after inflation. With that trick gone, this movie never had much hope.

Shame, if it had been film 3 instead of six, could have been a whole different direction for the franchise.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

SpokenTruth said:
Soundwave said:

Hate to break it to you but here's a reality check ... Hollywood is WOKE. Always has been, not sure what fantasy world you were living in where James Cameron (maker of the biggest Hollywood hits of the 90s/2000s) is a conservative, lol. Or DiCaprio is the biggest movie star in the world and really the only person left who can carry a movie (like Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) on his shoulders, is very woke. 

A lot of the examples you're using are old as fuck to boot, most of these 80s/90s franchise retreads of the last 5-6 years have bombed. Because it's a NEW generation of kids. You're old dude, you're not the primary demographic for movies, just like once upon a time you displaced people of the 50s/60s.

These kids don't give a shit about Schwarzenneger, Stallone, I mean even Twilight now is "retro", that was 10 years ago, Kristen Stewart is 30 and old, she's not the "It" girl of Hollywood, not even close. "Retro" to kids is Fast & Furious, that's a retro franchise. Terminator and Rambo are fucking ancient. 

Terminator was 35 years ago.  So for kids watching it then, 35 years before that would be 1949.  Imagine Terminator era kids identifying with 1949 cinema.

Samson and Delilah? Pinky? Come to the Stable? Sands of Iwo Jima? I Was a Male War Bride? Twelve O'Clock High? She Wore a Yellow Ribbon? Neptune's Daughter? In the Good Old Summertime? On the Town?  1949 Top 10 Grossing films.  Loved by 1984 youngsters. /s

Exactly, I mean I remember talking to the neighbours kid about Charlie's Angels opening ... not only did they have no clue what the hell that was, they didn't even know who Drew Barrymore was, when I tried explaining the "recent" 2000s reboot, lol. I realized even the early 2000s are ancient to them. 

The only movies from the 30s/40s/50s that I related to as a kid of the 80s/90s was Wizard of Oz and Disney animated films, but anything else .... fuuuuuuuuuuck no. 

SpokenTruth said:
Soundwave said:

Exactly, I mean I remember talking to the neighbours kid about Charlie's Angels opening ... not only did they have no clue what the hell that was, they didn't even know who Drew Barrymore was, when I tried explaining the "recent" 2000s reboot, lol. I realized even the early 2000s are ancient to them. 

The only movies from the 30s/40s/50s that I related to as a kid of the 80s/90s was Wizard of Oz and Disney animated films, but anything else .... fuuuuuuuuuuck no. 

Indeed. 

As for the new Charlie's Angel movie, my wife and looked at each other funny when news was talking about how bad it opened given that neither of us even knew said movie was even coming out. 

There's basically only a handful of things that are reliable money makers at the movies now 

1.) Marvel or DC comic book movies

2.) Star Wars

3.) Low budget horror movies 

4.) Kids CGI animated films

5.) Disney reboots (and even this not always)

6.) Jurassic Park

The comedy, drama, traditional action film, romance genres are basically becoming extinct theatrically. 80s/90s reboots ... forget it, leave that shit for straight to Netflix/Youtube/Disney+/Amazon Prime (see: Cobra Kai, did ok for a web series, would have flopped as a feature film). 

SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:

As for your list, very wrong.  Has nothing to do with people not liking things being done over again, or making sequels to old films.  There have been many remakes/sequels that have actually down well.  True Grit. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Freaky Friday.  War of the Worlds.  The Ocean's Eleven series.  The Bond series. The problem comes when they are done poorly, and it makes it even worse when they are done poorly for the sake of woke politics.  Oh, I don't know, like what Ghostbusters did.  And MIB4 put in some of that, as well.

True Grit - $252m WW.  That's doing well?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 2005.  Not exactly part of the new era of remakes/sequels.

Freaky Friday - 2003 - $160m WW.  Old and did poorly.

War of the Worlds - 2005.  Also not really recent and it was during Tom Cruise height of popularity plus you got Spielberg directing.

Ocean's series - 2001 to 2007.  Again, not recent.  And each one did less than the previous entry...$450m to $362m to $311m.  Even Ocean's 8 (bland movie) did $300m but you'll call that bad because of woke or something.

Bond had a resurgence in popularity after it was faltering during the 90's.  Was it faltering in the 90's because of woke culture?  No, they just weren't that good. 

Ghostbusters (2016) - Bad movie. 

Men in Black: International - Bland movie.  Did $253m WW though.  So is that good or bad?  True Grit?  Also, each MIB movie did worse domestically that its predecessor.  But...woke or something.

So Dark Phoenix?  Godzilla: King of Monsters? Lego Movie 2?  The Mummy? Pacific Rim: Uprising? The Thing (2011)? Wolfman (2010)? Point Break (2015)? The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)? Ben Hur (2016)?

Too woke for their own good or what?  Or maybe they just weren't very good movies.

Anything past 2000 is part of these newer remakes.  That's when this trend of remakes started and has been ramping up ever since.

You also have to take into account the films budget.  Of course, I think you know that, but choose to selectively ignore that to desperately try to make a point.  A low budget western is going to have less appeal than a big budget action flick.  So, yea, True Grit was a big hit.  Oh, and the 80s/90s were the height of Tom Cruise.  2005 was more like the height of everyone thinking he was a weirdo.

Ocean's 8 was pushed hard by the media, using the woke angle.  In the end, it was the lowest performing in the series.  And performed much worse on home video than Thirteen.  It wasn't an out and out flop, but it did underperform.

It's silly to bring up Bond in your defense.  It's a franchise that has always had lows and highs, not just in the 90s.  The real point is it's a popular old series that was remade.  So, bad excuse on your part.

Ah, Ghostbusters.  The prime example.  Well, until Charlie's Angels and Dark Fate.  A movie that was advertised entirely on wokeness.  And a big flop, even with critics lying and saying it was decent to good.

Way to prove my point about you cherry picking.  MIB3 made $10M less than MIB2 domestically?  And that's your point?  It also happened to make $210M more than MIB2 WW, so I'm sure the studio was able to get over it.  Like I said, it was by far the largest in the series.  Again, proving you wrong about no one caring about older franchises.  MIB:I should have starred the people who made the franchise.  And shouldn't have had dumb jokes about how it should be called Women In Black.  There were women in the agency to begin with, and none of them gave a shit. 

Same goes for Dark Pheonix, with the dumbass clip with Mystique lecturing Prof X on what it meant to sacrifice and how it should be called X-Women because the women are always saving the men.  Saying this to a man who was paralyzed because of his sacrifice.  It was made a big deal that Ruth Bader Ginsburg was in Lego Movie 2.  Surprise, not everyone is happy with that.  Hate to break it to you, but the first Pacific Rim and Thing flopped, too.  Hollywood should stop making remakes/sequels to cult classics that either flopped or only had middling success at the box office, which covers a lot of the titles you mentioned, and giving them a huge budget.  Oh, and The Day the Earth Stood Still didn't flop.  $237.4M WW against an $80M budget.

The real point is, a movie can do bad if it is bad.  Though, sometimes they can get by on dumb action, like the Transformer films.  The point isn't that only woke movies flop or underperform, but a woke movie that pushes a message instead of trying to tell a good story, will always flop or greatly underperform.  Even more so when it is pushing woke politics into an already established franchise that didn't have them before.  Like I said, you guys will continue to make excuses, and we will just continue to laugh as the flops keep coming.