By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding coming to PC summer 2020

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

MS bought Rare after a very bad dispute from it with Nintendo and with enormous red lights on the departure of several key members. I don't remember any studio Sony bought having similar issues. Sure some along time didn't keep the level of output and quality and were closed, but don't remember something as big as Rare happening.

Sony basically paid for a similar cost of building a studio to have one game, I hardly can see they not interested in owning the studio itself if it proves the success. They were looking at Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream to purchase if they had exceed, and both wanted it, but the results weren't enough.

What are they buying if they brought Kojima Studios? One IP? Its not really worth it. Sony would be better off just making a new studio. The thing with Rare, MS brought a library of amazing IPs to help push the Xbox brand even if Rare tumbled. If Sony buy Kojima, they gain Death Stranding and Kojimas next game and thats really it.. is it worth the purchase? or better creating there own brand and new IPs?

If MS bought Rare for the IPs then they made a very bad use of it.

Sony isn't relying on single or multi IPs, it held talent and pedigree.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

What are they buying if they brought Kojima Studios? One IP? Its not really worth it. Sony would be better off just making a new studio. The thing with Rare, MS brought a library of amazing IPs to help push the Xbox brand even if Rare tumbled. If Sony buy Kojima, they gain Death Stranding and Kojimas next game and thats really it.. is it worth the purchase? or better creating there own brand and new IPs?

Apparently, Microsoft thought they'd own Donkey Kong by acquiring Rare (link).

Replicant said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like my doubts that MS had very lousy execs isn't totally wrong.

But considering they haven't made good use of all the other IPs then if they had DK they would fuck that as well and would become an IP people would forget.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Replicant said:
DonFerrari said:

Idk that I’d call a few execs on a tour Microsoft as a whole. I’ve worked for companies where some of upper management knew nothing of day to day work. I’m sure the people involved with gaming knew what they’d own and what they wouldnt 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Zoombael said:

Why what? Why i don't like to see leeches who do nothing to elevate video gaming and transformed the PC platform into a dumpster fire profit of the laurels of the ones cultivating the essential and keeping it as traditional as possible? 

Who exactly are the leeches here? PC gamers? They buy lots of traditional and original games. The indie scene on PC will always be way ahead of console. Maybe you mean the publisher? 505 publishes many traditional SP games and lots of great ones.

What a bizarre thing to be bothered about considering it changes your PS4 experience exactly 0.

I'm sure from a intrinsically superficial perspective it appears bizarre. 

I mean, to imply more indies on PC is a plus...

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Replicant said:

Idk that I’d call a few execs on a tour Microsoft as a whole. I’ve worked for companies where some of upper management knew nothing of day to day work. I’m sure the people involved with gaming knew what they’d own and what they wouldnt 

Bold: Yeah, no doubt. It was just a joke. I'm not trying to attack Microsoft.

Zoombael said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Who exactly are the leeches here? PC gamers? They buy lots of traditional and original games. The indie scene on PC will always be way ahead of console. Maybe you mean the publisher? 505 publishes many traditional SP games and lots of great ones.

What a bizarre thing to be bothered about considering it changes your PS4 experience exactly 0.

Nah it’s pretty bizarre and downright petty no matter what lens you want to look at it through. Sorry about your bad luck.

DonFerrari said:

You again (Like usual) fail to see the point. MS brought Rare for $375m, they gained a company full of established IPs and a well known developer in one sitting. Keep in mind they paid $2.5b for Mojang with one IP so unless Kojima's next game is a Minecraft successor I cannot see the value in the purchase. 

Rare was on the downer hence why Nintendo continued to ignore them as they saw that the company was losing its direction especially that the Stampers were due to retire.

The output of those Rare IPs has nothing to with the fact that MS gained all the hype and excitement and marketing of what was at the time, the best developer going around. 

Very bad use of the IPs? Maybe for some not for others.

Perfect Dark 2 (81) vs Killzone SF (73) Seems Rare did a better job than the latest Killzone game from GG, one of Sony's top developers. 

lets look at the other Rare Games.

Conker Live N Reloaded (78)

Banjo Nuts N Bolts (79)

Kameo (79)

Viva Pinata (84)

Viva Pinata 2 (82)

Rare's Replay (84)

Sea of thieves (69)

BattleToads (TBA) < Not made by Rare

Seems like a solid line up of games, maybe not living up to the history of Rare however none of those games mentioned are bad in any means.

For the asking price for Rare was well worth the investment even if it was just for the IPs and marketing push. It worked for them and was a win win situation.

Back on Topic, Sony buying Kojima for Death Stranding? Well if it was to include Metal Gear Solid than I would say its a smart move but just for one unknown IP I wouldn't think its a great move. We will see what happens, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony try to buy them but is it worth the investment when they will be getting his games anyway just seems a little… steep. Guess it depends what the asking price is. I don't think Kojima will sell out at a cheap price either.

There are plenty of other companies Sony can buy that would fit right into there line up like Blue Point Games and Remedy Games. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Zoombael said:

Nah it’s pretty bizarre and downright petty no matter what lens you want to look at it through. Sorry about your bad luck.

Be sorry about your lack of deeper understanding and your shallow consumerism attitude.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Be sorry about your lack of deeper understanding and your shallow consumerism attitude.

Hey whatever makes you feel better about your petty and flawed outlook I guess.

Again, sorry for the devastating news.